Why become a member? ×

guy buys bass for £70 fiddles with it then sells it for £154

apa

On an interesting point. A hell of a lot of bassists I know can do a serviceable setup on a bass, a lower proportion of guitarists I know know how too.
I've lost track of the amount of times that someones given me a bass or guitar and after a strum or two i kinda sheepishly ask if I can get the allen keys out.

Hello Luke,
I agree with that... and indeed setting up a guitar is not rocket science; first you need to have a pretty good idea what a nice guitar sounds and feels like, then you need a little box of quite special tools and bits and bobs; mostly though you just need to get your head down and do it.
It hurts my heart to think how many enthusiastic learners get sold lovely shiny shop guitars that even experienced hands would struggle to get much of a tune out of... then after flailing their fingers to the bone for a month they accept that maybe they just haven't got what it takes... and take up chess!
Mark................

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1333009625' post='1596008']
Ow! Stop nicking my ideas :lol: :lol:

Nah it is actually easy. Though expect minimum orders of $5k from a lot of places. Once the shipping goes on and HMRC takes a kick back you need to basically allow for £5k.

$8k from a company that builds for a few "brands" . I had one place going to do me 2 models to my specs and do 6 of each as samples.
[/quote]

how many basses is £5k worth? Like I'm pretty sure if you had a model for sales it would be viable.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1333009625' post='1596008']
Ow! Stop nicking my ideas :lol: :lol:

Nah it is actually easy. Though expect minimum orders of $5k from a lot of places. Once the shipping goes on and HMRC takes a kick back you need to basically allow for £5k.

$8k from a company that builds for a few "brands" . I had one place going to do me 2 models to my specs and do 6 of each as samples.
[/quote]

Bring on the FenderBirds I say!!! :P

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1333132488' post='1597980']
100 mates? I'm the town Gargoyle, whaddya reckon :P
[/quote]

I have no idea. I went to Wigan once. In the gap between trains I walked to wigan pier. Not as exciting as I had hoped

Hello all,
Yes having a batch of guitars built in China is something I have often thought seriously about... and to sell them aimed at learners with necks set up with the fastest super-light action might be thought certainly subversive, and perhaps even downright weird by the status quo of guitar retail.
But I have no starting point or contact in China... any ideas anyone?

On Wigan: I thought the gist of the book, 'The road to Wigan Pier' was that Wigan is not on the coast and has no Pier!

Thanks,
Mark......................

You have to get them to learners with the action still right is the problem. I think the best thing for small batch from China people to do is get a bunch of varied rickenfakers, as a group buy, spread them about among the group to sell and try and make that guy catch on fire from his own rage.

[quote name='Mark David Phillips' timestamp='1333493131' post='1602629']
Hello all,
Yes having a batch of guitars built in China is something I have often thought seriously about... and to sell them aimed at learners with necks set up with the fastest super-light action might be thought certainly subversive, and perhaps even downright weird by the status quo of guitar retail.
But I have no starting point or contact in China... any ideas anyone?

On Wigan: I thought the gist of the book, 'The road to Wigan Pier' was that Wigan is not on the coast and has no Pier!

Thanks,
Mark......................
[/quote]

no, wigan pier is in wigan and is the pier on the canal where things were landed.
Pier=hard=hythe=moorings=harbour=landing area=wharf=dock

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1333551760' post='1603433']
google
[/quote]

I was betting myself that would go straight to tradetang. But not so, quite.

Superstrat for $67-$87, minimum order 6. Yum.

http://jwtone.en.made-in-china.com/product/poiQtlEVRKRA/China-Guitar-JW-SD002-.html