Why become a member? ×

Anyone fitted a Fernandes Sustainer SC to a Strat?

xilddx

I really want to do this but how do you get all those electronics into the Strat and still keep the original in there?

I love the sound of my USA Deluxe Strat so I would ideally like to run the Sustainer as a separate set of tronics, but do I need to? Not bothered about keeping the Fender TBX tone circuit though.

Anyone done this? I would take it to a pro to fit everything, just want to know the possibilities.

Cheers.

Thank you mate!

Just a matter of finding someone who will do it properly now :)

I've wanted one of these for a long time, but only now do I have a proper application for it, and my style evolved to the degree that I can use it properly and express myself, rather than pissing about.

Thanks again.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1332015650' post='1582210']
On a sustainer equipped instrument:

Roland GK3/piezo bridge -> Graphtec Ghost Hexpander MIDI pre -> Axon AX100 -> Synth module
[/quote]

How do the GK and the Sustainer interact? I would have thought the GK is what drives the synth and the other pickups don't get a look in.

They're treated as two completely separate systems. The sustainer is just part of the magnetic pickup system which feeds into one channel of the Hexpander while the piezo/MIDI signal feeds into the other. Because the sustainer affects the string directly, it's picked up by the piezo/MIDI pickups as well. The hexpander allows you to select between and across MIDI, magnetic and piezo feeds.

GK3 isn't Midi. It's a set of mini-humbuckers. The only Midi capability is what comes out of the floor unit, which in the case of V-Bass isn't much , other than the capability to save patches.

So the answer to Nige's question is - it doesn't, you need a piezo bridge and a Hexpander.

I believe either a GK3 or piezo bridge can send a signal to the hexpander (which is essentially a filter that combs out all the frequencies likely to affect tracking).

MIDI is just used as a term of convenience, its not intended to suggest MIDI code is being created by the pickup. Thats the job of the Axon AX100, read it as piezo-MIDI if you prefer.