Why become a member? ×

2011 MM Stingray Advice

Matt_UK

Hey guys,

Have finally tracked down a rather beautiful 2011 Stingray 4 in completely mint condition and only played one or two times.

Unfortunately my knowledge of modern 'Rays is a bit lax, however I have heard that some may have issues (read somewhere about neck pocket gaps???)...

Could someone much wiser than me let me know of any problems I should be looking out for?

Also, the guy wants £900 firm, which seems a tiny little bit on the steep side to me (in the current market) - although I recognise that he just wants his money back. Do you guys reckon that's a fair price?

Cheers all,

Matt

If he wants £900 firm then walk away (and watch him change his tune :D). There are plenty of other fantastic 'rays for sale on here at the moment ... and don't let stories of one infamously rotten apple in the barrel (for that is what you are referring to regarding neck pocket gaps) put you off.

Don't worry about the neck pocket issue....just have a look at it. My Ray 'issue' was not born from a factory error, it was put together from a different neck and body and they didnt match, but this doesn't normally happen so don't worry.

I'd say try is and have a look.

I have 5 Musicman basses, all 2010-2011 models....and they are all stunning. Once I got the dodgy one replaced I was VERY happy.

If its a standard 3EQ/normal colour, then its steep. But if its a matching headstock HH or HS, in something like vintage sunburst, its a good price!

Thanks for your input guys, really appreciated. Its a stock model, nothing particularly out of the ordinary (except for being in the exact colour I've been looking for :P!) and comes with all the original MM case/case candy etc.

Think I will go and have a look and offer him what I think its worth!

Good luck, if it's minty and exactly what you are after then put in an offer and see what they say. There seems to be a massive difference between uk retail prices and second hand, so it's still a good saving over the cost of a new one. Don't think you need to worry too much about the build quality, musicman are generally very good.

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1332067747' post='1582651']
Well rays normally seem to go for £600-£750 on this forum depending on which shade of ugly they are. So £900 is above market rate.
[/quote]

But this Ray is new. There are probably some sold as new which have been played more in the shop. It's only my opinion but to expect to pay half of the new price on a bass like this is disgusting.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1332074652' post='1582775']

But this Ray is new. There are probably some sold as new which have been played more in the shop. It's only my opinion but to expect to pay half of the new price on a bass like this is disgusting.
[/quote]

It's the nature of the market.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1332074652' post='1582775']
[/quote]

Yeah, it is a real shame, and I know where you're coming from. But I only said I thought £900 was a 'tiny little bit' too high. I've seen some absolute immaculate examples on here go for £800-850 - regardless of how old they are.

Edited by Matt_UK

OK. I hear what you're saying about the market and I accept that. It is obviously not a good time to buy a new instrument unless you plan to keep it for a long time. If you do buy and then want to sell quickly you have to expect to take a massive hit. I just hope some folk buy new instruments and hold on to them or we won't have any to buy second hand.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1332076901' post='1582811']
OK. I hear what you're saying about the market and I accept that. It is obviously not a good time to buy a new instrument unless you plan to keep it for a long time. If you do buy and then want to sell quickly you have to expect to take a massive hit. I just hope some folk buy new instruments and hold on to them or we won't have any to buy second hand.
[/quote]

Far from it man. There are no shortage of 'rays on the market for us to choose from. It wasn't so long ago that the prices plummeted to a staggering £550 for a perfectly decent bog standard 'ray... a year later average prices had risen to £750.
The worst of it is that many other brands in the same price bracket do not depreciate in the same way as 'rays do. Maybe due to the fact that they are so Marmitey - those who love them (myself included) really love them and those that don't really don't... making it a buyers market for 'rays.

I've seen Musicman basses in general go for a fairly high amount on ebay and the Musicman forums. More so the rarer models. I don't plan on selling any so I don't pay attention to the value secondhand.

I think if someone is looking for 'that' bass, £850-£900 for a very very immaculate Stingray in say, Natural, is actually quite fair. It depends on the condition. I've seen a Bongo 5 HH go for £1200-1300 when they are only £1400 new.

It just seems on Basschat the 'Basschat Market' is a little tougher.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1332083476' post='1582912']
Far from it man. There are no shortage of 'rays on the market for us to choose from. It wasn't so long ago that the prices plummeted to a staggering £550 for a perfectly decent bog standard 'ray... a year later average prices had risen to £750.
The worst of it is that many other brands in the same price bracket do not depreciate in the same way as 'rays do. Maybe due to the fact that they are so Marmitey - those who love them (myself included) really love them and those that don't really don't... making it a buyers market for 'rays.
[/quote]

I remember a beautiful natural/rosewood Stingray, with piezo, being sold near me for £500, just 2-3 years ago. And I passed because it was rosewood... :rolleyes:
Then, less than a year later I got my natural/maple one, for £695 including original case...

£900 is decidedly above the market price these days... but I'd second those who say that if the bass is practically as new, *and* in the exact colour you want, a colour you don't see often... I would go to see it and NOT let him know at all that's the colour I want. I'd have maybe £800 cash in my pocket (I don't mind paying a bit over the odds if I'm getting exactly what I wanted). I'd be very surprised if you show him the cash and he lets you walk away empty handed ;)

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1332083476' post='1582912']
[/quote]

I see your point Rich. Why spend £900 on a nearly new Ray when you can get one in as good a condition for a good few hundred quid less even although the bass is practically new. Shame though.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1332146649' post='1583756']
I see your point Rich. Why spend £900 on a nearly new Ray when you can get one in as good a condition for a good few hundred quid less even although the bass is practically new. Shame though.
[/quote]

Ain't it just.

Of course there will aways be someone willing to spend a little more 2nd-hand if cast before a wider (and let's face it, less well informed) buying public, hence the reason why as was pointed out before some examples sold on ebay can go for a few quid more... but most of us here wouldn't buy from there - what's the point when as you say you could spend a couple of hundred less buying the same thing on here... and personally if I were selling I would feel better in myself selling to a BCer for the going rate too.