Why become a member? ×

Warwick Dolphin 6 String, finally...

eude

A few years ago this would have been my dream bass.
Now a bit older and wiser and although I've never played a Dolphin, I know fine well it would be an ergonomic catastrophe for me, but man it's still a hot ass bass...

Have a look >>
[url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/custom_shop/NewsCustomShop.php?newsID=3656&modell=Dolphin&page=0&cl=EN"]http://www.warwick.de/modules/custom_shop/NewsCustomShop.php?newsID=3656&modell=Dolphin&page=0&cl=EN[/url]

I'll be sticking to my ACG basses, but she sure is pretty all the same :)

Eude

I've always loved Warwicks, since I started playing bass, but they don't work all that well for little guys like myself, well at least the more extreme shapes like the Dolphin and the Thumb. Having owned a Thumb Bass in the past and suffering for it, I know the Dolphin would probably be as uncomfortable.
It's a real shame, they really do have a wonderful natural tone, but I guess it's not Warwick's fault I'm short.

I had Beav of Beav's graphics do a mockup of a 6 String Dolphin SN - 32" Scale for me a few years back >>

I talked to Warwick about how much it might cost but at the time, they wouldn't do a custom Dolphin SN, a 32" 6 string, or a even a 6 string Dolphin at the time, they did warn me that if they ever could it would be very VERY expensive.
Still, although Warwick's prices have gone up a lot of late, their environmental kudos makes it justifiable if you've go the cash, and they're still a lot cheaper than Alembics, another bass I idolised as a young'un.

Anyway, like I said, I'm very VERY happy with my ACGs. I think my recent acquisition is a lot hotter than the render above too :)

Eude

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1331802991' post='1578970']
As comfortable and good sounding as that might be, it is one of the ugliest basses i've seen in a while (Beaten only by singlecut basses)

Liam
[/quote]

I was saying they're uncomfortable for little guys like myself.
This bass is nice and comfortable however...

Whoops... :ph34r:

Oh my, they're doing a 6 string Vampyre now too!
[url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/custom_shop/NewsCustomShop.php?newsID=3651&modell=Vampyre&page=1&cl=EN"]http://www.warwick.de/modules/custom_shop/NewsCustomShop.php?newsID=3651&modell=Vampyre&page=1&cl=EN[/url]
One thing that always bugged me about some of the Warwick range was that would only do 4 and 5 string versions of their more exotic looking beasts. Looks like they're caught on :)

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1332152433' post='1583857']
Oh my, they're doing a 6 string Vampyre now too!
[url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/custom_shop/NewsCustomShop.php?newsID=3651&modell=Vampyre&page=1&cl=EN"]http://www.warwick.d...re&page=1&cl=EN[/url]
One thing that always bugged me about some of the Warwick range was that would only do 4 and 5 string versions of their more exotic looking beasts. Looks like they're caught on :)

Eude
[/quote]

That is one of the MOST BEAUTIFUL basses I have ever seen!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1332152940' post='1583868']
That is one of the MOST BEAUTIFUL basses I have ever seen!
[/quote]

Unfortunately, I imagine it will also be one of the most expensive too...

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1332153106' post='1583871']
Unfortunately, I imagine it will also be one of the most expensive too...

Eude
[/quote]

Yeah the Vampyres have always attracted a premium haven't they? I'll put it on my Euromillions list ;)

[quote name='Grant' timestamp='1332154777' post='1583894']
Don't like Dolphins. They don't even look like a dolphin. And they haven't got built in sonar. Or their own TV show. Nasty. You'll have someone's eye out with that...
[/quote]

I hear ya, but there is a kind of Dolphinesque elegance to the design, especially the old "Pro 2" which came in solid colours.
This is just a little reminiscent of a Dolphin, right?...

Eude

I (generally) like Warwicks. I own 3, so I should do.
However, both the Vampyre AND the Dolphin are wrong (as shown is this thread)
Why?

Gold hardware on the Dolphin. It really should be black.
The pick-ups. That's what's really wrong. What makes the Dolphin, Infinity, Vampyre and Fortress Masterman great is the pick-up complement; J/JJ. JJ in the case of the Fortress MM. Go up to 6 strings, and the MEC Js and JJs are too short, so out come the soapbars. Unless they're a single coil at the neck and a tappable parallel humbucker at the bridge, they'll sound somewhat different to their progenitors.

I understand that others may feel differently, but this detail ruins it for me.
And am I alone in finding the Vampyre ever so slightly vulgar? Maybe it's too loud, and I really am getting too old! :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1332155772' post='1583912']
I (generally) like Warwicks. I own 3, so I should do.
However, both the Vampyre AND the Dolphin are wrong (as shown is this thread)
Why?

Gold hardware on the Dolphin. It really should be black.
The pick-ups. That's what's really wrong. What makes the Dolphin, Infinity, Vampyre and Fortress Masterman great is the pick-up complement; J/JJ. JJ in the case of the Fortress MM. Go up to 6 strings, and the MEC Js and JJs are too short, so out come the soapbars. Unless they're a single coil at the neck and a tappable parallel humbucker at the bridge, they'll sound somewhat different to their progenitors.

I understand that others may feel differently, but this detail ruins it for me.
And am I alone in finding the Vampyre ever so slightly vulgar? Maybe it's too loud, and I really am getting too old! :)
[/quote]

Yup, I loathe gold hardware, on any bass, it just looks cheap and nasty.
Black would look so much better.

I think you're right about the pickups too, bit of a cop out really.
Especially as they now pretty fit any kind of pickups you want, albeit for a fee. These are show pieces for Musikmesse, so it really wouldn't have hurt all that much to pop in some Delanos or even some different MECs in there. Even if they couldn't match the exact Dolphin or Vampyre pickups they could've got close, or maybe just done something a bit different...

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1332155106' post='1583902']
I hear ya, but there is a kind of Dolphinesque elegance to the design, especially the old "Pro 2" which came in solid colours.
This is just a little reminiscent of a Dolphin, right?...

Eude
[/quote]
That is postively Dali-esque. But they are odd looking things. I've said this before on another thread, but as for single-cuts - they remind me of sperm whales. Sea-bound mammals ahoy! :)

[quote name='Grant' timestamp='1332161395' post='1584010']
I've said this before on another thread, but as for single-cuts - they remind me of sperm whales. Sea-bound mammals ahoy! :)
[/quote]

Ha ha, I hear you, but I still love them!
I believe the first Skjold single cut shape was called a "Whaleback"...

Eude