Why become a member? ×

Celebrity Gear - once used by the famous

Born 2B Mild

[quote name='rhino' post='174375' date='Apr 11 2008, 10:04 AM']I bought a '62 precision from Music Ground, Stainforth nr Doncaster, in the late 70's which was previously owned by Wishbone Ash's bassman (whoever he was/is)

I also tried out a '62 lime green jazz bass which was up for sale in the Bass Center the owner being John Entwistle.
It was poor, weak pickups, thick neck, however, I don't suppose it mattered when plugged in to millions of watts from Sunn amps.

Rhino.[/quote]

martin turner was wishbone ash's bass player !!

[quote name='kevbucket' post='174426' date='Apr 11 2008, 11:21 AM']martin turner was wishbone ash's bass player !![/quote]
They've had a few. Mervyn Spence was one, and he gave me his bass balls - which was on the same stage as metallica etc on his european tours (apparently).

Some good ones!

[quote name='rohan' post='174224' date='Apr 10 2008, 11:12 PM']Peavey is ex bassist of Man. not exactly fame...[/quote]

Man are a great band!
Saw them a couple of years ago at a tiny venue (Walkern sports hall). Brilliant.

And if it was Martin Turner's bass, then nice one - though he mainly uses a Thunderbird I think - saw him with his reincarnation of Wishbone Ash recently (funnily enough at the same Walkern venue as we saw Man). Martin Turner was one of the reasons I got turned on to bass.

[quote]My G&L was owned (and made for) jerry donahue of the hellecasters[/quote]
Nice one - I know Gerry's used to be a G&L endorsee for the ASAT guitar, at least. A rather good guitarist.

Edited by RichardH

[quote name='bassmandan' post='174253' date='Apr 10 2008, 11:49 PM']my EBS head used to belong to [er, was used on a clinic tour by] Mr. Marcus Miller...... in fact I'm fairly sure this was a yarn spun by Bernie to lure in suckers like me, Marcus probably signed half a dozen of the buggers! Oh well, damn fine bit of kit anyway!

infact, looking at the pic it doesn't really constitute any form of proof that it's even an item of musical gear really does it!?!? maybe I just took a large piece of anodised metal to be signed by the man at one of his gigs?......

ho hum![/quote]
:huh: ;) ;)
I got a EBS 350 from Bernie about 4 or 5 years ago , that had been signed by Marcus that morning...
I unloaded it to a guy on the old Bassworld about 3 years ago...
Not the same one is it...??? :huh:
Or you are probably right..there's loads of signed ones about :)

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='RichardH' post='174644' date='Apr 11 2008, 04:01 PM']Man are a great band!
Saw them a couple of years ago at a tiny venue (Walkern sports hall). Brilliant.[/quote]
They're lasting well. I saw them 35 years ago, IIRC somewhere in Torbay.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='174306' date='Apr 11 2008, 07:20 AM']I sold my Telecaster bass to him out of It Bites.[/quote]

Wow - I used to love them. Saw them down at the Riverside - one of the best gigs I've ever been to. Dick Nolan is a great (and under-rated) groove player. In fact they're back with an album and touring this year - Newcastle Academy on the 1st Oct.

My Kubicki Factor used to belong to some bloke who went on to play for George Michael amongst others. It also has a Willis Ramp fitted by the man himself while the previous owner was at B.I.T. (I believe!).

[quote name='Ba55me15ter' post='174663' date='Apr 11 2008, 04:27 PM']Wow - I used to love them. Saw them down at the Riverside - one of the best gigs I've ever been to. Dick Nolan is a great (and under-rated) groove player. In fact they're back with an album and touring this year - Newcastle Academy on the 1st Oct.

My Kubicki Factor used to belong to some bloke who went on to play for George Michael amongst others. It also has a Willis Ramp fitted by the man himself while the previous owner was at B.I.T. (I believe!).[/quote]

Can you tell me what bass Dick Nolan used in this video

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUqjCbI0EJY&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUqjCbI0EJY...feature=related[/url]

My fave It bites song, Great tone!

I sold my blonde 64 reissue Fender Twin Reverb to John Butler from Diesel Park West. Couldn't believe it when he turned up on my doorstep after driving up from Leicester. Got him to sign a couple of CDs for me. Very nice chap.

You can see the amp on some live shots on their website. Glad it went to a good home.

... it funded a Trace Elliott combo so don't worry I haven't betrayed you all.

My Ibanez Roadstar was previously owned by Paul Ryder of Madchester legends; Happy Mondays
[url="http://www.mdmarchive.co.uk/archive/showartefact.php?aid=1260&bid=444"]http://www.mdmarchive.co.uk/archive/showar...260&bid=444[/url]
Was used on all their early stuff, videos, TOTP etc.

Rave On! :)

I have an Ashdown ABM 410t cab in white, which is one of a batch made for The Manic Street Preachers video shoot for A design For Life (I think it was that one anyway-white stage, suits,amps, cabs, guitars, drums...you get the idea) It's a bitch to keep clean, has a serial number plate but no serial number, and I really couldn't tell you who the bassist is with the MSPs but it sounds cool!

In the mid 70s, before gear was acquired or disposed of via the internet, there were classified ads in things like the Exchange & Mart, and The Melody Maker. I answered one such ad for a 4x12 Marshall angled cab in Iver, Bucks. It was the parental home of the guitarist from Silverhead [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverhead"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverhead[/url] who I'd seen a couple of times and had bought one of their albums (16 & Savaged). So not only was I an impressed teenager, now with a beaten up Marshall cab, I also had a bit of hardware with SILVERHEAD stencilled on the back. I thought that was cool!

The Guitarist was Ronnie Wood look-a-like Rod 'Rook' Davies. I don't know what happened to him,but I do know that their bass player joined Blondie, and their charasmatic singer, Michael des Barres, went on to sing with Power Station, though he's more famous for his subsequent acting career in Holywood and for marrying ex-groupie turned author Pamela Des Barres.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='174664' date='Apr 11 2008, 04:27 PM']I have owned a Ashdown 1000 watt combo made for John entwhistle, Who decided it wasent loud enough.
The frontman from franz ferdinands blue guitar strap.[/quote]

That the one that was in Electric Ladyland? Would have considered that, but Steve was too busy telling me how sh*t it and everyhting else was.

[quote name='Sercet' post='174931' date='Apr 12 2008, 12:18 AM']My Taylor acoustic bass was once owned by John Entwistle.[/quote]

[i]Entwistle's collection of guitars and basses was auctioned at Sotheby's in London by his son, Christopher Entwistle, to meet anticipated duties on his father's estate. Joy Division/New Order bassist Peter Hook is among those who acquired some of Entwistle's basses at the auction. [/i] (Wiki)

In May 2003, I got the catalogue in advance with the idea of buying one to have as a showpiece on the wall in the Ad agency I then ran. The catalogue is something itself. Hundreds of colour photos of his collection, but the guide prices for each instrument were way high. I even intended to go to the auction, out of interest. In the end I didn't bid or go, but I do have the catalogue to enjoy.

Assuming the gear got sold, there must be an awful lot of ex-Entwistle basses out there!