Why become a member? ×

What cab to go with Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II?

ReeV0

Two reasons I can think of:

1. Weight
2. Flexibility (say if you want to have different speakers, for example)

If I were you, I'd go to shop which has one in stock and just try lifting it. It's a perfectly acceptable thing to do. Ask someone before you do it though!

From what I can see it is basically the same head and same cab stuck together but £200 cheaper.

[quote name='jjl5590' post='174197' date='Apr 10 2008, 10:33 PM']anyway i read on the wiki that if you use very powerful speakers with a not very powerful head, you can damadge the speakers[/quote]

Only if you push the head beyond its limits until its distorting really badly and even then it's only likely to be the tweeter that gets damaged. And you'd have to be deaf to do this.

[quote name='jjl5590' post='174197' date='Apr 10 2008, 10:33 PM']and if you use the rig at really low volumes for long periods, the speakers will also break cos they require movement to cool down, and at low volumes they arnt moving hardly.[/quote]

Playing a rig at really low volumes for long periods will NOT damage it. Speaker movement does marginally help with cooling but if you're putting hardly any power into a speaker hardly any cooling is required, and most cooling is radiative anyway, not convective.

Alex

[quote name='jjl5590' post='174197' date='Apr 10 2008, 10:33 PM']ah ok. seems like a bit of a waste getting the neo speakers if the amp can only go up to 450W, unless i can find a good used deal.

anyway i read on the wiki that if you use very powerful speakers with a not very powerful head, you can damadge the speakers. and if you use the rig at really low volumes for long periods, the speakers will also break cos they require movement to cool down, and at low volumes they arnt moving hardly.[/quote]
Stop getting so hung up on the power ratings! Damage occurs just as bass_fereet says - if you hear unwanted distortion, THAT's when you have a problem. Simply using cabs with a higher thermal rating does f**k all.

My Trace 8x8 rig is a power section of 280W RMS, the internal combo speakers are rated 600W overall, the extension cab a further 240W. I wouldn't be using that set up if there a danger in doing so!

Actually that note in the wiki is slightly misleading, as you can read it as meaning using higher rated speakers is a bad thing. It was really intended to point out to anyone thinking that if they use speakers rated much higher than than the amp, they can't possibly blow them. As has been pointed out above, that's not the case. If you max out an amp and drive it into clipping it is possible to damage your speakers, regardless of their rating.

Personally, I think a 2x10 would be more than up to the job with the GK. As Alex said in another thread, it is possible to get the guitarists to turn down in the unlikely event you're being drowned out - playing in a band is about teamwork, not a competition to drown everyone else out.

re. your desire to use this particular gear to get Flea's tone - stop wasting your time you won't do it!

You could buy every single last item of equipment that Flea uses, right down to the cables (you have considered that they will affect your tone haven't you :) ) he uses and you still may not sound anything like him. Have you considered the bass that Flea uses? Exactly he still retains 'his' tone regardless of whether he is using MM / Fender / Modulus etc because 'he' is producing most of that tone (or if we are talking recordings, the engineers and producers are), his amp is simply amplifying it.

There are a lot of guys on here who could make their bass, amp and cab sound like Flea and yet they won't be using a single piece of GK equipment or a Flea bass! Add into the mix that Flea used GK 800RB amps, then moved onto the other GK ranges and I know from experience though they are similar in tone they are not the same. I'm not saying that there is no part of his tone that can be attributed to GK gear (he probably developed his sound as a result of using that particular brand) but you may never be able to achieve it, conversely you may be able to achieve that tone with other equipment

This isn't a dig at you or your choices but if you are after another person's particular tone then step back a bit and consider all your options.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='174356' date='Apr 11 2008, 09:27 AM']Lets try to keep a handle on the levels of excitement on this one guys, huh? We know what you lot are like when you start talking speaker specs. :huh:[/quote]

just thought i'd hoy me cap in on this one !!! pardon my geordie !!

i've just been up to sounds live or control in Newcastle to try the gk700rbll combo,
tried it ,....... bought it on the spot... incredible . wow wow wow , played it at a gig last night with my double bass and it was sensual :)

next im gonna pair it with the 1x15 because im doing the part of flea in a peppers tribute band the geordie (reet hot chili peppers) so i wanna bit of umph

iv'e also got a mark bass 1x12 combo which is a stonking little piece of kit but no good for the peppers so if anyone fancy's that it could be used in a deal or cash !!

anyway the thing is, the shop i bought the gk combo from tried to sell me the 1000rb amp and here's the thing ,
they are selling it off at half ...HALF !!!! price !!! so if anyone is interested give them a shout

cheers for now
kev

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='174348' date='Apr 11 2008, 09:22 AM']You could buy every single last item of equipment that Flea uses, right down to the cables (you have considered that they will affect your tone haven't you :) ) he uses and you still may not sound anything like him. Have you considered the bass that Flea uses? Exactly he still retains 'his' tone regardless of whether he is using MM / Fender / Modulus etc because 'he' is producing most of that tone (or if we are talking recordings, the engineers and producers are), his amp is simply amplifying it.[/quote]
[quote name='james jamerson']The funk is in the fingers[/quote]

to be honest, why would you want his tone?
I know his tone sounds good but shurley you would want to make your own tone rather than just "try" copy someone elses. For one, you dont have the fingers Flea uses. You might be able to buy all his shizzle but your playing style will always differ to someone elses, thus making a slightly different tone.

If i was you, id try find your own tone through playing different cabs through the head and finding what YOU think sounds best or closest to flea rather than try copy the crazy slapper.

Thats what i think anyway, fell free to ignor me! :)