Why become a member? ×

Alembic filters

Badass

Guys i have had no luck in searching so far....And $$$'s are short, so an Alembic is out of the question....Well so 'she' tells me ;)

Can anyone post a sound clip or two of what these Alembic filter sound like on and in off position?

I have read the pages on the Alembic site about what they do, but I'm having a hard time getting my head round how they will affect the sound.

Thanks for anything anyone can offer in response ( maybe an Alembic? :P )

Think of a wah-wah pedal - thats the sort of sound you get, but a more tuned to a bass frequency range....then you chose when to stop on the sweep. Look out for the ACG filter preamp threads here and there are some audio clips.

My lowly Epic has no filters, but the the preamp/pickups are still fantastic and very simple. The pickup balance is your tone control. Years ago I had a Wal custom with filters and its confused the hell out of me. I like to think I'd cope with it better, now I'm older wiser and don't drink as much.

Thanks for the info. I've just had a listen to some of the audio in a couple of theads we have here, and yeah the ACG cuircuits are very like the sweep on a wah-wah pedal. So I presume that the ACG is very similar to the Alembic filters?

Makes me wonder if Stanley Clarke used his EBS wah as a wah or an extra filter. Can't say I've ever heard his play wah-wah bass, but maybe someone knows different.

Next stop is the guitarists gig bag. I want to have a wee play with his wah-wah :cough:

I used to know a guitarist that use a VOX wahwah left turned on, but never steped on to use in a wah motion. He swore, used that way, he could get a Hendrix style strat sound from a Les paul, but that's guitarists for you ;)

Edited by Badass

[quote name='Badass' timestamp='1331476004' post='1573315']

I used to know a guitarist that use a VOX wahwah left turned on, but never steped on to use in a wah motion. He swore, used that way, he could get a Hendrix style strat sound from a Les paul, but that's guitarists for you ;)
[/quote]

Frank Zappa used to do that, too.

I've been known to use a Morley Wah in front of a Russian Big Muff. Once I'd got it in the right place, It sounded really rather nice, albeit in a slightly "sucked-out" way.

The way-wah analogy isn't something to take too far, just a handy way of describing the sound that is familiar to any one that has stood next to guitarists! There is a lot more to the design of a good filter eq for a bass, from my limited understanding its all to do with frequency/boost selection and other such techie things. Get the design right and its a musical instrument.

Might be worth looking up the SF2 preamp/filter from Alembic - its the guts from their Series II basses in a rack box, and the most complex filter they do. Can be used with any basses/preamps, it seems.

[b]dave.c[/b] now that's a tempting offer, thanks, but I am a long way from you...Unless your throwing in a weeks B and B too I'll have to pass ;) Maybe next time I'm over London way I'll give you a shout. Thanks again.

[b]BassBod[/b] Yeah i understand that, I just want to see what a wahwah can offer, it is a 'filter', and it's a very cheap ( erm borrowed from our guitarist ) way to dip a toe in the water.

Edited by Badass