Why become a member? ×

Squier Strat - help needed

Jono Bolton

Hi all! I've been scouring Gumtree in search of a new guitar and have found a Squier Strat for a relatively small price, but I don't really know enough about this particular model to know if it's worthwhile. I'll press the seller for more info, but my experience with Squiers is limited to the Standard and Affinity series'. The guitar I'm looking at has a bold black Squier logo, and says 'Strat' on the headstock, rather than Stratocaster as my old Standard Series guiitar read. The seller says it's made in China and it's a 50th Anniversary model (presumably Fender's 50th, so I'm guessing it's from about '96-ish).

Does anyone know any more about these models, what they're like to play, value etc? The seller said in his ad that it needs a bit of work but is asking for £50, I'd like to try and get him down on that but I would need to make sure I'm armed with some knowledge of the instrument before I try to haggle with him.

The Gumtree ad only shows the headstock but I've had some picture messages through of the body from him, but I've attached the headstock pic in the hope that someone recongnises the logo.

Any help here would be great guys!

I think these are the precursor to the current Squier Affinity models, and should be pretty comparable to them. IIRC they were the basic model that appeared in Argos etc. I'm sure there's a Squier forum somewhere on the net - maybe seek out the hardcore Squier geeks there and ask them?

Edited by Beer of the Bass

I've got an old Squier 'Strat' made in China - exactly the same decal except mine says Affinity where yours says Fender. Hasn't been used for years - input jack's gone and the pick-ups aren't aligned very well, especially the neck/middle - but it plays pretty well! Buy a complete strat assembly pickguard (http://www.axesrus.com/pickassy.html or something similar) and it could be a really nice guitar :)

Hope that helps!

My chum has one of these. Nice solid little guitar into which we dropped some aftermarket GFS pups.

£50 is a reasonable price depending on the amount of 'work' the seller says it needs.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1331426089' post='1572813']
£50 is a reasonable price depending on the amount of 'work' the seller says it needs.[/quote]

Indeed. Fifty quid is a very good price if the guitar is a good 'un. But it does depend how much "work" is needed and whether you can do it yourself. If you have to pay someone else to sort out problems then it probably isn't worth it. IMO of course.

I used to have a Squier Affinity, it was an ok guitar... but just that - ok. It was just 'flat' no matter what strings,pickups etc..... I would heartily advise playing on a Squier Classic Vibe - they are a world of difference ahead in tone, feel and quality. second hand between £200 - £250 but worth every penny more IMHO.