Why become a member? ×

What amps did bassists use in the 70s?

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1331588393' post='1575546']
You don't need to go that far to ease any EKO GAS. IIRC the story is that when EKO folded Brandoni bought all their unmade parts.
[url="http://www.brandoniguitars.co.uk/ekogtr.asp"]http://www.brandonig...o.uk/ekogtr.asp[/url]
[/quote]

God yes!
I'd forgotten all about Brandoni.

This thread is starting to make me feel very old... :D

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1331586872' post='1575503']
I remember the name Roost, and RSC had a shop on High St in Leicester, I bought a 50w 12" driver from them. They used to have a catalogue a bit like Andertons and it was mostly mail order....
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure I can remember RSC having full page adverts in Everyday Electronics or Practical Electronics magazine and that really is stretching my memory back to the point where something is going to go snap... :lol:

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1331590086' post='1575602']
I'm pretty sure I can remember RSC having full page adverts in Everyday Electronics or Practical Electronics magazine and that really is stretching my memory back to the point [b]where something is going to go snap...[/b] :lol:
[/quote]
The elastic in your trouser waist?

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1331589701' post='1575586']
This thread is starting to make me feel very old... :D
[/quote]

You [i]are[/i] very old! :lol: As am I. Aren't these new 5p pieces fiddly? Now... what did I come in here for again?

Edited by discreet

I remember those ads as well. We used to use 2, yes 2 of the Linear 30s, the same as RSC, for PA in 1968/9 along with two, 5x8 columns and in the same 2000 seat, well standing actually, venue that the Who played later that year with the first 1000w PA. Compared to the Who, our sound fell off the front of the stage onto the floor and disappeared. We thought it was good at the time though.

Surprising as it may seem today,big old valve amps were highly unfasionable in the late 70's and many a bargain was to be had.Selmer Zodiac 100w head,with push button eq presets,Traynor (Canadian,I believe)100w head both passed through my hands for small money.70's cabs were sh*te though.I still have a wardrobe sized Marshall 1 x 18 which required a Cortina estate to fit around it,which handled all of 100 watts.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1331597579' post='1575758']
Surprising as it may seem today,big old valve amps were highly unfasionable in the late 70's and many a bargain was to be had.Selmer Zodiac 100w head,with push button eq presets,Traynor (Canadian,I believe)100w head both passed through my hands for small money.70's cabs were sh*te though.I still have a wardrobe sized Marshall 1 x 18 which required a Cortina estate to fit around it,which handled all of 100 watts.
[/quote]
I had a massive 2x18" Vox cab that ran to 100w. I kind of wish I still had it because it looked cool. Though I'm glad I never had to try to transport it in a small car, especially with all the metal work and huge wheels bolted onto the outside of it.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1331601290' post='1575804']
I had a massive 2x18" Vox cab that ran to 100w. I kind of wish I still had it because it looked cool. Though I'm glad I never had to try to transport it in a small car, especially with all the metal work and huge wheels bolted onto the outside of it.
[/quote]

You know what - I'm surprised that we ever found room to be able to play with all that kit piled up everywhere.
If technology hadn't downsized and increased in power, I reckon bass players would have evolved into being no higher than 4' 6" and weigh no more than 6 stone by now...

[quote name='Prosebass' timestamp='1331378289' post='1572051']
My first 'proper' amp in 1978 was a Yamaha YBA100 bought secondhand from SAI for £280 which was a fortune then.
The power amp was in the 3 x 12" cab , top part was just a very capable graphic pre-amp with push button band pass filters.
It weighed a ton and I lugged it down from my bedroom and pushed it through the streets to band practice every Saturday morning.

Rated at just 100 watts it was extremly loud, and I wish I could find one today.
Probably one of the coolest looking amps ever made.
I progressed to an Orange Bass head and a home brew 2x12 to save my back.

[/quote]

You[i] pushed this monster through the streets[/i] to practice every weekend ?! Man you deserve an award or something. that is some serious [i]Roy Castle [/i]type dedication!!

Edited by daz

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1331597579' post='1575758']
[/quote]

Yeah same here, A Marshall super lead for £30, and that was from a shop in Brum. New Marshall lookalike 4X12 from Green La Music in Leicester cost me £45. Solid state Vox Supreme from the same shop £15, but that was cos it was faulty ands they couldnt repair it. (A lot of engineers back then were not great with solid state gear) I bought a Viking, and a couple of FAL 50s from them as well, but thats another story. Once git offered a Bass AC 30 for £30, which is what one of my neighbours had been offered for it asa PX, and turned him down, it was a bit too small for what I wanted.

My 4X12 sized 1X18 had a Goodmans speaker in it, 50W of raw power..

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1331602564' post='1575811']
You know what - I'm surprised that we ever found room to be able to play with all that kit piled up everywhere.
If technology hadn't downsized and increased in power, I reckon bass players would have evolved into being no higher than 4' 6" and weigh no more than 6 stone by now...
[/quote]

Thats Shortist. 4'6" Bass players are a minority group.

and there are those on here that will [s]claim to be[/s] be offended

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1331631529' post='1576008']
Thats Shortist. 4'6" Bass players are a minority group.

and there are those on here that will [s]claim to be[/s] be offended
[/quote]

There are those on here that will be offended by 'Good Morning' so I reckon I can cope with that. :D

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1331633232' post='1576068']
There are those on here that will be offended by 'Good Morning' so I reckon I can cope with that. :D
[/quote]

I've never reported a post before, but I'm sorry, that's just 'morning-ist'. Totally unacceptable.