Why become a member? ×

Is it acceptable for Pro musicians to drink.

TimR

It's a bit of a grey area as context is relevant - obviously drinking in the studio would seem way more out of place than drinking at a gig with a bar. Tho funny enough I just did a recording session on Sunday past where the drummer cracked open a can of beer as we listened through the first playback at about 1pm. And funny enough he doesn't play drums for a living and yes I do think the two are related. Not that his drinking affected his playing but rather it came across to everyone in the room as unprofessional, just as if you were in mid consultation with your doctor and he did the same thing. (side note - be wary of sessions where the record label has booked the musicians and not the producer. Not good) So my point there is that his conduct was not befitting to a professional situation. Drunk or not I know the producer would never call him again.

Yes playing music does not have the same connotations as working in an office so there is the temptation/perception that it can be treated as a night out with the lads - but to me the bottom line is that if someone is paying me to do a job then I do it to the best of my ability and that means not doing anything that will impair my performance. Of course there will always be the fully functioning alcoholic that can run rings around me onstage and I do know one in particular who is a great player all round, but I couldn't, in good faith, recommend him to sub for me or pass his number along. I know his playing, sure, but the guy/girl that's never met him doesn't so it really is a case of first impressions last. I know several stunning musicians that I simply couldn't recommend for a gig because of this and that's sad I think.

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1331234318' post='1570105']
I've done tours where your drinking capability was more important than your playing...
I didn't last long on that gig :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

+1 to that. There's actually a regular gig going on in France right now that I never get asked to do simply because of the amount of drinking involved!!!

There's lots of things effect your playing. Drink is but one of them.

I don't think I've ever played a gig without having a few beers (or at least two) beforehand. That said, I often rehearse with a few beers, and often practice... after a few beers.

Actually, I have played one. The Matthew Street Festival. No beers allowed BY ORDER.

I don't think it has detriment to my performance. I'm capable of many things after a few beers. Playing bass is one. In fact, every member of every band I've been in has a few beers before gigs unless driving. We encourage it.

I wouldn't do it if there wasn't a culture of it in the band though. That would be rude.

Oh, and never, NEVER be more drunk than the audience. ;)

And I wouldn't drink whilst playing with strangers or in a professional capacity. Only when in the comfort of players who do the same and know each other well, on and off stage.

Edited by bigjohn

The classical boys (mostly) drink like the fishiest of fish and that doesn't stop them knocking out three hours of International-standard dot action. Stockhausen on half a litre of vodka is entirely commonplace.

Popular musicians are clearly pussies of the first order. I am disapoint.

Soft drinks only for me. Only two pints is enough to losen my concentration and I end up playing like a tool. If I have two gigs back to back I don't drink at all, even after the gig. I can't play when I am hung over.

I will never stop or judge any musician having a drink during the performance, but folks have good memories. If you fail to perform because your bladdered, tripping or both don't be surprised you won't get a call back. The rock 'n' roll big I am behaviour doesn't impress folks much these days.

If you can do the job you're being paid for, it doesn't matter what you've been drinking. Once upon a time I could drink loads and still do my job afterwards. These days I can't. I prefer to decline drinking until after i've done what I'm being paid to do. And if I have to drive afterwards, then declining to drink last till I've got home.

Other people may have their own scruples. Stick to yours, I'll stick to mine.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1331234857' post='1570115']
The classical boys (mostly) drink like the fishiest of fish and that doesn't stop them knocking out three hours of International-standard dot action. Stockhausen on half a litre of vodka is entirely commonplace.

[/quote]

It certainly seems that way judging by the Facebook posts of a friend of mine. Although to be fair some of that music must be pretty tedius following the same dots night after night.

I'm another one in the little/or none camp. If you are being paid to do a job you should have the decency to do it to the best of your ability, and for me that means sober.

I remember depping for a mate's wedding band about 5 years ago and they all started chopping out lines in the dressing room! Not only did it seem more than a little sad to be doing coke in the dingy backroom of some workies - it was someones wedding day. It just felt really rude and arrogant to treat their day like that.

Needless to say the gig was a bit of a thrashy w%%%fest. I'm still mates with the guy. But I don't dep for him anymore.

Personally I'll only ever have a couple of shanties over the course of the evening because I just can't drink and play!

My landlord's a trombonist with a very well known UK symphony orchestra and the brass section drink like there's no tomorrow. They will often squeeze 4 to 5 rounds in the intermission alone!

Truckstop

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1331234857' post='1570115']

[/quote]

Look, I'd love to drink more, but my endorsement arrangements preclude it.

Edited by Gust0o

Who is impressed by drinking ability?

People on the drinking road, who can't drink as much as you can.

Why are they impressed?

Because they think, albeit don't admit, "if he is still half way intelligent after so much drink,
he must be a true smart ass when he's sober".

Truth is, if anyone has a lot of drink and still walks straight, it's alcoholism, not being smart, strong or anything.

Never mind a sip of Jägermeister before a gig - it's the best thing you can do. Also really helps with vocals -- for which, of course, beer is the worst....

I don't drink.
I have to say though that I'm a bit of a stickler with those I work with musically - I don't care what they get up to after we've finished playing (as long as they're safe obviously) but I won't share the stage with a p*ssed musician. :)

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1331238792' post='1570240']
Look, I'd love to drink more, but my endorsement arrangements preclude it.[/quote]

Found myself following Geldof round the V&A one Sunday. He whiffed something rotten, and I don't think it was the booze or the post-Paula G/F..

I'll do two pints in the course of the evening..if I feel that way inclined, but it is more to do with having something on stage rather than needing a drink.
I don't see playing and drinking as condusive so it doesn't interest me. None of the band can drink anyway and it is just not even a factor

Even on no pay originals gigs, I decided back in my teens that pre gig pints were out. Did it once, and I feel like even one pint can make a noticeable (to me) difference toy playing and awareness, so I don't bother. Would never do it on a payer.

Bit of a moot point these days as I own a Splitter van so I'm invariably the one behind the wheel, but I just consider it a professionalism thing.

Not judging anyone who sees it differently mind you, I've worked with guys who are useless after a beer, but also with guys who regularly put on a stellar performance after imbibing plenty. I guess it's down to the individual and them having awareness of how it affects their abilities.