Why become a member? ×

GigRig Power supplies

woodyratm

Hey guys,
Anyone used their modular setup before? i'm toying with the idea of getting the generator and 2 distributors.

Would love to just use a single plug for everything! Also saves me needing to rewire my plug everytime I choose to change the location of the power supply (or in todays case - removing it to sell the board).

Can it power stuff like the DHA pedals? And my Deep Impact? I dont know current for it just now - but with 5000mA to play with I'd assume it would (if the jack fits)

Looking to power:-[list]
[*]Akai Deep Impact (9v)
[*]Iron Ether Oxide (9v)
[*]Iron Ether Xenograph (9v)
[*]SFX loop (9v)
[*]SFX Blue Dragon (9v)
[*]CoPilot Dubscope (9v?)
[*]Boss OC2 (9v)
[*]Source Audio BEF (9v)
[*]Boss TU2 (9v)
[*]Possibly DHA VT2 thingy - (Lord knows..)
[/list]
Likely to work? Or should i just live with a second cable? Maybe go for TRex fuel tank or the voodoo labs one?

It'll be underneath a PT-Pro so hidden out of sight.

Thoughts anyone?

Dave

I'm expecting to move to a Gigrig Power supply soon when I have more cash as they don't half add up as I'd need 3 distributors a generator and at least 3 voltage changer cable things! (Currently have 12 pedals running happily off a johnnyshredfreak psu but would like to get rid of the supplies for the 12v and reverse polarity pedals)

How many pedals do you ever have on at once? Most have fairly minimal draw when off, the majority of your pedals apart from the digital ones are pretty low current draw anyway.

Edited by simwells

Well thats the thing, with the switching loop; the deep impact, blue dragon, oxide are always on (so thats 4 at once) - so about 6 at once? maybe 7?

Thats actually quite scary... I'm using a cheapo soundlabs thing that puts out 450mA and i'm waiting for the day it packs in. lasted several years so far..touch wood.

It'll work, they are ridiculously powerful. The regenerative fuse also works very well indeed, musta tripped out 5 times on me in the past and always worked straight afterwards.
I used up to 7 pedals at once through it with no problems, had I been bothered to fit more pedals on my board I'm sure there would have been plenty of power on tap.

Truckstop

inb4 Shep gets here and educates us about something he endorses..
Akai should be fine, it's not called "9 volt" for nothing. ^_^

The VT2 is 12V.
[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1331078697' post='1567476']
Hah I imagine he'll be along soon. I think he's like us and lives in this forum!
[/quote]
I live on this forum so much, I have a room upstairs. :D

Edited by lxxwj

Ta Da!

The Generator will work a treat. Pretty much everything is 9v. The DHA might be 12v but the SupaNova adapter will take care of that. The high draw stuff may need some tweaking so you need to do the following.

Rewrite your list above and confirm and voltages you are unsure about.
List the polarity of each pedal.
Add the draw (mA) next to each pedal is you can - particularly any high draw units (say 250mA +).
Email it to Dan @ GigRig.

He will work out if any special adapters are needed.

When you get the stuff. If anything doesn't play ball, let Dan know and he'll tweak/adjust/modify adapters for you as you go (some pedals react odd in chains even when on paper they are fine!) until its perfect.

I would think you'll just need an adapter for the DHA plus the cheap polarity changers for each pedal that centre positive (if any are), though if any have a huge draw then something may be needed (Deep impacts draw?).

Email Dan and he'll tell you exactly what you need. Wicked product and even better service & after care.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1331111185' post='1567650']
Ta Da!

The Generator will work a treat. Pretty much everything is 9v. The DHA might be 12v but the SupaNova adapter will take care of that. The high draw stuff may need some tweaking so you need to do the following.

Rewrite your list above and confirm and voltages you are unsure about.
List the polarity of each pedal.
Add the draw (mA) next to each pedal is you can - particularly any high draw units (say 250mA +).
Email it to Dan @ GigRig.

He will work out if any special adapters are needed.

When you get the stuff. If anything doesn't play ball, let Dan know and he'll tweak/adjust/modify adapters for you as you go (some pedals react odd in chains even when on paper they are fine!) until its perfect.

I would think you'll just need an adapter for the DHA plus the cheap polarity changers for each pedal that centre positive (if any are), though if any have a huge draw then something may be needed (Deep impacts draw?).

Email Dan and he'll tell you exactly what you need. Wicked product and even better service & after care.
[/quote]

Cheers mate.
Now the fun part of finding out that info!

The Deep Impact isin't as high as I thought (180mA) - though that does explain why it doesn't like my current 450mA one!

Yeah. It's worth noting, that like an amp, a power supply likes headroom! Yes they will 'work' up to the listed rating, but once you pass the halfway mark of a power supplies draw then you may find it gets noisey, hot etc and generally does not perform well.

Beauty of the Generator is that it's so damn powerful you can power a silly board like mine and still not really tip the 50% of power/draw rating. Makes a MASSIVE difference. Most of the stuff on that list should be easy to find. Gimme a shout of you get stuck on any of em'.

Right so far I have..

[list]
[*]Akai Deep Impact (9v 180mA -)
[*]Iron Ether Oxide (9v -)
[*]Iron Ether Xenograph (9v -)
[*]SFX loop (9v -)
[*]SFX Blue Dragon (9v -)
[*]CoPilot Dubscope (9v -)
[*]Boss OC2 (9v 4mA -)
[*]Source Audio BEF (9v 250mA -)
[*]Boss TU2 (9v 55mA -)
[*]Possibly DHA VT2 thingy - (12v 1200mA +)
[/list]
Have emailed Max, Adam and Taylor about the SFX, CoPilot and Iron Ether ones. The email form on the source audio site doesn't work - but the "suggested psu" is 9v 250mA so used that.

Edited by woodyratm

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1331121049' post='1567883']
1200mA for the DHA - really!!!!?

I imagine all the others will be very low draw and wouldn't worry about them too much. Nothing digital and demanding there. Does everything work on centre negative supplies?

Source Audio BEF is 145mA max according to the manual.
[/quote]well it's 500mA - but the site says to use the 1200mA.

[url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page29.html"]http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page29.html[/url]

I think all centre negative except the DHA.

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1331121303' post='1567892']
well it's 500mA - but the site says to use the 1200mA.

[url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page29.html"]http://www.davehalla....uk/page29.html[/url]

[/quote]

That'll be fine mate - looking at the pedals left over there is nothing horrid so I'd bang that on an email to dan.
My Prediction.
1 Generator
2 Distributors
1 SupaNova (for DHA)
1 Reverse Polarity adapter (for DHA)

The SupaNova may be swapped for something else depending on how the DHA take to the power consumption.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1331121485' post='1567900']
That'll be fine mate - looking at the pedals left over there is nothing horrid so I'd bang that on an email to dan.
My Prediction.
1 Generator
2 Distributors
1 SupaNova (for DHA)
1 Reverse Polarity adapter (for DHA)

The SupaNova may be swapped for something else depending on how the DHA take to the power consumption.
[/quote]Cheers mate - Sent him a mail.

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1331121303' post='1567892']
well it's 500mA - but the site says to use the 1200mA.

[url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page29.html"]http://www.davehalla....uk/page29.html[/url]

[/quote]

I found the DHA VT2 brilliant but very sensitive to the quality etc of power supply. To be fair Dave is very clear on the need to power properly. This all sounds like an ideal way to get the most out of a VT2.

[quote name='RichF' timestamp='1331123797' post='1567976']
I found the DHA VT2 brilliant but very sensitive to the quality etc of power supply. To be fair Dave is very clear on the need to power properly. This all sounds like an ideal way to get the most out of a VT2.
[/quote]

In all honesty - I've never used it. It buzzed and hummed like a bitch. Kinda just ignored it.
If it worked for a light distortion I'd be very happy!

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1331125050' post='1568003']
In all honesty - I've never used it. It buzzed and hummed like a bitch. Kinda just ignored it.
If it worked for a light distortion I'd be very happy!
[/quote]

My money would be on the power supply not giving it what it wants!

You heard from Dan?

Do GigRig do any adapters for AC pedals? I couldnt see anything on their site for it so im gonna guess not. I hate the power supply for my Line 6 M9 but havnt found anything else that can power it.

[quote name='deej' timestamp='1331238751' post='1570239']
Do GigRig do any adapters for AC pedals? I couldnt see anything on their site for it so im gonna guess not. I hate the power supply for my Line 6 M9 but havnt found anything else that can power it.
[/quote]

They did make the Whambo which powered the AC Whammy IV (and other pedals with that requirement). It was withdrawn though, I believe this was because one of the manufacturers went bust/was effected by natural disaster in Japan. Dan would need to confirm this but I did have a Whambo at one time and wanted it modding slightly and they were unable to do it due to issues getting components from Japan.

I would expect the AC based support will return in the future though.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1331236520' post='1570162']

My money would be on the power supply not giving it what it wants!

You heard from Dan?
[/quote]

Hah yeah! Std base 2 thing.

Except the dha... Which needs 3(!) supernova's in paralell. Think i'll get another supply for that.

Power for all (bar dha) - 160 quid
Power for all (inc dha) - like 300 odd! :|

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1331241250' post='1570295']
Hah yeah! Std base 2 thing.

Except the dha... Which needs 3(!) supernova's in paralell. Think i'll get another supply for that.

Power for all (bar dha) - 160 quid
Power for all (inc dha) - like 300 odd! :|
[/quote]

Ouch. Yeah some pedals are a bit of a bummer like that. The adapter would be a monster as well - bigger than some pedals! lol

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1331241787' post='1570306']

Ouch. Yeah some pedals are a bit of a bummer like that. The adapter would be a monster as well - bigger than some pedals! lol
[/quote]

I'm still unsure if the gig rig way would be best. Might have a gander at the voodoo labs one..