Why become a member? ×

Good stage performance?

jmstone

[quote name='jmstone' timestamp='1330990736' post='1566111']
Haha! Yes - good point. Thanks for looking!

I do really like the band a lot. Not that confident a player I guess.. Even less confident about moving about :D

Practice definitely needed...

J

Edit - just checked out the videos - I can see what you're getting at there. Need to spend some more time on this I guess...

In answer to your earlier question - it's a preemtive decision on my part - which became clear to me after seeing the video of our gig!!
[/quote]

Good for you mate! Just make sure it's natural. I love to dance to music, so I can't really help moving about on stage. The bigger the stage the more I move. Learn to dance.

[quote name='jmstone' timestamp='1330991381' post='1566127']
.. For an even more cringeworthy performance:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxX1JhMCFa8[/media]

Definitely won't be bouncing up and down again!! :D LOL!
[/quote]

It's better than the first one. You look a more into it because it's later in the set probably.

Whatever you learn, teach it to the guitarist aswell ;)

I'd say be who you are on stage. If you have to force yourself to look like someone else, it will soon show on you.
I tend to be a little eccentric. very subtle things but people see them and enjoy.
More recently I have toned it down because of the type of band I am in now. But it is still an extension of ME
If you are not naturally outgoing and are happier letting someone else do the moves, so be it.
Not sure I would watch other people for 'moves'
be comfortable mate, and the crowd will enjoy.

The coolest bass player I ever saw was the guy in Goldfrapp. He just stands with hat tipped over one eye and plays a perspex bass. Occasionally he'll also wear gold lame trousers. There's no trying to look cool........he just [size=6][b]IS[/b][/size] cool.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn9ETvfIRFQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn9ETvfIRFQ[/url]

Edited by gjones

I found that just larking about and having a bit of banter with bandmates in rehearsal made me feel a lot more at ease on stage. Our rehearsals do on rare occasions just degenerate into "Who can do the daftest thing" competitions though.

Edited by Maverick

[quote name='jmstone' timestamp='1330903299' post='1564729']
nothing involving spandex please!
[/quote]

Hey now, don't knock spandex.

But no, there are some very good points here, especially about acknowledging the audience. Movement always seems to help, doesn't have to be thrashing about the place though, even just having a bit of a move around your side of the stage. I've been wandering about the house trying to get used to playing on the move and while concentrating on other things lately, I'm awful on stage really.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1330991505' post='1566129']
Good for you mate! Just make sure it's natural. I love to dance to music, so I can't really help moving about on stage. The bigger the stage the more I move. Learn to dance.
[/quote]

Excellent advice.

I was about to suggest just dancing myself. If you're not confident about moving about at other people's gigs or at clubs, you're never going to be confident at moving about onstage. Practice is the key.

Why does everyone call it 'stage movement' etc?

Just call it dancing because that's what it is! Ive always been a mover and shaker and I've been practice my bass chops while dancing at home. After seeing Bruno Mars at the Brits though... I think I might actually need a little professional help to get my moves better. Audiences respond to confident stage movement(!) and if they see the band having fun it really is infectious. I see a different band at my pub every week and the bands that get more dancers on the floor are the bands that look like they want to be on the dancefloor themselves!

It's impossible to 'be' cool. Just go with the flow and enjoy yourself. If standing still is what it takes to enjoy yourself at a gig, then so be it, it's better to look confident than look cool.

Truckstop

Damn - i can't see the vids on works PC and some of these must be really good cause I'm laughing just at the responses.
Need to check this thread out later tonight at home.

Someone once told me after a gig that i had a John Entwhistle stance which i actually took as a great compliment.
I'm generally not a mover on stage but on the rare occasion i did the gigs always went down better so i guess there is some truth in that statement.
Of course i did have a few beers on those occasions but new the set inside out and didn't actually make any mistooks from what i can remember.

Great thread and actually quite an interesting and unusual topic.

Cheers
Dave

I'm a very nervous person and quite quiet off stage and because of that I used to be very still on stage. It used to bug me too and i'd not enjoy looking at pictures and video from our gigs.

Now i tend to relax and enjoy what we're playing. If the track makes me move or the drummer and i have a new groove going then i move. I have found since the connection between the drummer and i has grown and strengthened that my stage 'dancing' and general stage presence has improved.. i say improved i guess what i mean there is i seem more comfortable on stage and look like i'm enjoying being there! :D

I bet a lot of other people will have seen bands in the past where you can tell that the guys on stage have seen others, famous people or bands they like, place a foot on the fold back or punch the air with a fist so they do it and you can really tell that that's what they are doing. "he/she sticks their foot up here and rocks out so that's what i will do" ok maybe they don't think that but that's kind of what it looks like.

Just chill and you'll find the comfort and ease on stage will produce what your looking for... i think. ^_^

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1330976498' post='1565729']
Watch other bands see what works for them and see if it works for you, But the most important thing 'Smile' Look like your enjoying it.

My A-Z of Stage craft in 4:02 seconds-

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p3xi8WHVgs&feature=related[/media]
[/quote]

Haha! Wow - this is pretty extreme!! Not sure I would trust my strap enough to do that guitar over the shoulder trick - looks like it could go badly and hilariously wrong!!

[quote name='Bobo_Grimmer' timestamp='1331039703' post='1566654']
Just chill and you'll find the comfort and ease on stage will produce what your looking for... i think. ^_^
[/quote]

Sensible advice.. Any videos you'd like to share? :)

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1331020653' post='1566248']
This is me in 1987- note how my dancing skills are honed to perfection. Look and learn pal:)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjJ_j2NNy28[/media]
[/quote]

Superb stuff! I am not worthy!!

Actually I really like that foot shuffle you got going on there! Looks quirky and suits the music!

Great sound too!

[quote name='jmstone' timestamp='1331043076' post='1566727']
Sensible advice.. Any videos you'd like to share? :)

Superb stuff! I am not worthy!!

Actually I really like that foot shuffle you got going on there! Looks quirky and suits the music!

Great sound too!
[/quote]

All blue eyed soul boys have the same dance dont they?

To be honest I found that clip as I was searching the net for info for some bands I was in- to be looking at myself 25 yrs ago was a bit of a trip- thought the sound was terrible though.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1331020653' post='1566248']
This is me in 1987- note how my dancing skills are honed to perfection. Look and learn pal:)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjJ_j2NNy28[/media]
[/quote]

Great song. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
I can see where you have honed your dance moves into a flurry of rythmic perfection. :lol: ;)
I might add that you have twice as much movement as my good self in those long gone days of forever youthfullness.

Good song - liking it a lot.
Nice bass lines
Cheers
Dave