Why become a member? ×

What sort of bassist are you?

xilddx

I just pushed "I don't really practice much, but I'm in a band that plays live." back into the lead.

When I do practice, it's either a new song or making sure I haven't forgotten what to do at the next gig. I don't count band rehearsals as practice, they're gigs without an audience, or maybe gigs are rehearsal with an audience.

I don't really practice much, but I'm in four bands that play live, although only one of them is a regular gigger, the others are pro bands who do a few gigs per year. A bit like BRX, I only 'practice' when I have a new song to learn or when I write something I can't play. I very rarely practice new things from books or the internet unless there is a clear goal, I may learn a few new things now and again but I don't keep it up.

I'm a confused bassist, I have trouble dealing with the seemingly prevalent current attitude that a good bassist is one who can play a variety of styles very competently and know theory, and be able to sight read. I can't help feeling like I should be able to do these things but at the same time I don't need to, and I seem to be a decent player with good ears. But I play prog pop, and contemporary African and Indian compositions which are not harmonically complex, mostly rhythmically and melodically complex, my harmony theory is poor while my rhythmic and polyrhythmic sense is pretty good, and I have few difficulties with odd time signatures.

Anyway, where's Geddy to get the ball rolling on 'I'm a professional bassist in one band' ?

Edited by silddx

Finding something interesting to practise is always a challenge I reckon. The more time I spend practising the more I just end up noodling!
A terribly frustrating and restricted instrument for me lately.

Just starting to get back into (relatively serious) practice after quite a long layoff due to various medical issues. Looking to get into a band sometime soon but happy to wait until the right one comes along. May even do a little bit of teaching again (although I don't miss it as much as I thought I would). These days think of myself as semi-retired.

Before the layoff I had played in a series of individual bands, and earned the bulk of my living teaching guitar and bass, both at home and in schools as a county peri. It was my main occupation (although I did have a small project studio and did some P.A. hire). Although my actual playing commitments were fairly small-scale and infrequent in later years I still thought of myself as a professional player since I earned my entire annual income through my involvement in musical activities.

Like others, I can't find a category that covers that lot. :huh:

While I'm here, may I observe that I'm very impressed at the generously forthcoming nature of the BC community, in that after some 80 posts from a whole bunch of people nobody's asked why we're doing it. I'm not trying to be the Vogon at the Hay Festival, but, you know, why are we doing it? If it's just a bit of fun that's fine, but just so we know.....?

Edited by leftybassman392

Play in three bands that play live and have band practice 1-2 times a week. Mostly for the fun of it though, all in all don't do more than 15-20 gigs a year. Oooh, and I noodle daily - but my bass forum time sadly outweighs any serious home practise.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1330903608' post='1564733']
While I'm here, may I observe that I'm very impressed at the generously forthcoming nature of the BC community, in that after some 80 posts from a whole bunch of people nobody's asked why we're doing it. I'm not trying to be the Vogon at the Hay Festival, but, you know, why are we doing it? If it's just a bit of fun that's fine, but just so we know.....?
[/quote]

Because playing music is the most fun thing I know how to do.

It would be great if circumstances permitted not to have to do anything else and to be able to travel all over the world playing to people. Maybe an unrealistic ambition, but IMO if I don't give it a go then it will definitely never happen...

I'm the second one to choose used to be a pro bass player. Was always semi pro from the age of 16 to early 20s and pro for a few years ( until I got married and had kids). When I was pro I never practiced as was playing 28 nights a months with 4 week tours abroad.

I come from starting in the 70s and learnt everything by ear. Obsessed by jamerson from an early age and can thank him for my taste.

I now practice more than I have ever done probably 2 hours a day. Mostly learning new songs. Not for my band but mostly for pleasure of working stuff out.

Really enjoying playing in my band though as we are getting more busy have a friend who deps for me 2-3 gigs per month. I only tend to play 2-3 per month ( nothing at all really )

Still love it though.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1330954966' post='1565247']
Because playing music is the most fun thing I know how to do.

It would be great if circumstances permitted not to have to do anything else and to be able to travel all over the world playing to people. Maybe an unrealistic ambition, but IMO if I don't give it a go then it will definitely never happen...
[/quote]

I think he might have meant why are we replying to the thread mate.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1330960811' post='1565378']
[/quote]

Because you want to know and that's important to us godammit!

Anyways. Do I count as semi-pro? We nearly always get paid something for gigs ;)

I count the once a week, 4 hour rehearsals as a lot. I rarely do any practicing at home. I hardly touch the bass unless we've got a new song or I need to get sorted or I'm working out a bassline for one I'm writing. This probably doesn't pass muster?

Edited by Low End Bee

For the first time in years I don't play in any bands (covers, originals, serious or otherwise) and almost never play bass or practice. I also find myself playing the guitar a lot more than the bass (oh the shame!). Can't seem to find a band that is right for me (or me right for them depending on which way you look at it). Nevermind I'm sure the inspiration will strike again at some point. Of course it's also a bit of a vicious circle - the less I play the worse I get and therefore the less inspired I am to keep playing.

I don't practice a lot but do gig, you could say I do the bare minimum to know the song these days.

Having said that, if I listen enough in the car, and often get live versions from YouTube, then I do get the subtle bits/fills that breakup the line from being note for note repeative each time round, but not sure if that counts as practice ?

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1330960811' post='1565378']
[/quote]

This. Well, sort of. I'm just interested to know if there's a useful piece of research in the offing or whether (as I believe) it's more of a lighthearted 'tell us a little bit about yourself' - you know - relaxed, whimsical; a chance to unwind a bit. Personally I found it quite therapeutic. Cheers mate. :)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1330986305' post='1566006']
I was wondering if the amount of 'expertise' on here correlated to the types of players on here :lol:
[/quote]

Could be... but then you'd hit me and discover that I'll screw your statistics up no matter which way round you try to look at them... :lol: