Why become a member? ×

Dingwall Super J - Your Opinions?

funkyspuke

good morning BC'ers,

I've been looking (and drooling :gas:) at the following for sale thread for the last few days;

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/169475-fs-dingwall-super-j/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/169475-fs-dingwall-super-j/[/url]

there is just something about this bass ... but it's purely the look of the bass that intrigues me (especially some of the basses on their online gallery)! I played a Dingwall bass a couple of years ago, not sure which model, it was a passive 5 string. I wasn't at all bothered by the tone, but really liked the feel and the fanned frets!

so, has anyone out there played a Dingwall Super Jazz? does anyone own one? what are your thoughts? how do they compare to say, a Sadowsky? are they worth the money?

thanks

I played a super J5 and it was one of the best 4 basses I have ever played:

Doods two Shukers
My ACG
Dingwall Super J5

Buy with confidence, these things bloody rock.

Growly or polite (although for me I definitely preferred it in full on angry mode), I've only played a couple of Sadowsky and they were very nice, I preferred the J5 though.

One day I will get a J5 with block inlays, maple neck and white paint and a black scratchplate.

Saying that I think I will be giving Mr Shuker a shout for a 7 string first :)

I presently own 3 x Ding'a'lings one of them is a Super J 5 strings in Fiesta Red with maple neck / fingerboard. Difficult to beat, it's one hell of a monster J bass. it is light, with lots of good usable tones, whether you play it passive with the Glokenklang off or active you will always have an array of different sounds. The scale length it's just right 35" - 33" the body is chambered to keep within low weight but also to increase sustain and resonance. A fantastic little combo of a bass, I have not had a single person trying it and not loving it.

here is mine:

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1330739688' post='1562523']
It's just plain wrong!
Why would you file Stevie Ray Vaughan Live at The El Mocambo between 200 Motels and Zappa's Universe?
Nice Dingwall by the way.
[/quote]

that's what happens when you let the missus tidy up the place. God bless her in heaven (R.I.P.) I couldn't bring myself to change them around after she passed away.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

• 1 year later...

I own a brand new Super J in Candy Blueberry - ordered through Bass Direct. 4 string, alder body, morado fretboard. Outstandingly resonant acoustically, definitely on the 'modern Jazz' side tonally but can be warmed up withy the EQ and pickup selector. One of the best built instruments I have ever laid hands on.

For comparison, my other Jazz is a Celinder (alder/Brazilian rosewood) which is also outstanding. They're on a par build wise though they sound different.

I could happily recommend a Dingwall SJ4 as one of the finest basses I have laid hands on. That includes Sadowskys, Bacchus, Musicman, Atelier, Celinder, Fender, Lakland, etc.

Pete

I once owned this beast:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/196440-dingwall-super-jazz-bass-sunbursttortiepassive-reduced/"]http://basschat.co.u...assive-reduced/[/url]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]--> what are your thoughts? [/font][/color]
Nice bass. The string spacing was a bit tight for my personal taste. The later development of string trees are required. The chambered body made it really nice and light. Sound wise, mine was a passive, and although I never really liked the 4 position selector for sounds, it had a good usable array and fitted ncely in the mix.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]--> how do they compare to say, a Sadowsky?[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I have owned a few sadowskys in my time: USA jazz, MV4, MV5, PJ4. I think the preamp on the sadowsky is a wonderful bit of kit. The fanned frets never seemed to affect my playing, for better or worse, which is [i]one [/i]of the reasons it went in trade for an RV4. (Which also didn't stay, but that's another story). I would have said they were on a par: the only real difference being price and the obvious fanned-ness of the frets. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]--> are they worth the money?[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And this is the other reason I traded mine: it's an expensive bass, and as it wasn't "the special one", it had to go. If it was half the price it would have stayed.[/font][/color]

Edited by dougal