Why become a member? ×

Is this fixable?

Paddymick

Evening all,

Long story short - the block that the endpin goes through inside my cheap laminate db has now got a small splinter out of it which means the string tension is pulling the pin to one side and making it a b@@ger to slide in and out.

I can still play the thing - after a fashion - but does anyone know if this is something that can be readily fixed, or if it's going to be economical on a cheap bass?

More to the point - whilst I might be ok to soldier on with it as is, am I doing more harm to the instrument?

Sorry for all the questions - I've played electric bass for 20+ years, but the upright world is very new to me. I throw myself on the collective wisdom of BC.

Cheers

Paddy

Good idea! I should really have thought of that in the first instance.

However, after nearly breaking my neck/wrist/bass I haven't been able to get a picture of inside the bass. Think I'm probably best taking it to a luthier and asking their opinion.

Paddy

If I understand what you are saying...the endpin block inside has taken some damage which has caused the 'fit' of the endpin housing (inside the block) to get loose, resulted in the endpin (on the outside) not coming out square under string tension. Usually when this happens it starts to point towards the front of the bass. Have I got that right?

If so, this happened to me a few years ago and the fix is simple (but you will probably need a luthier).

He can either ream the hole a little larger and re-pack round the endpin, or replace your current endpin and housing with a larger gauge. The 2nd option is the better repair, but costs more, and is the one I went for as the original end pin was weedy.

That said, if the bass isn't losing its tuning (a sign of ongoing movement) and it doesn't interfere with your playing, it is unlikely to cause the bass any problems..it has just found a new point of equipoise.

Hope this helps.

BTW. You use the same pickup and preamp as me...They work really well together. don't they?

Shaker

Shaker,

That's exactly it! Thanks for the info. I'm glad I have the luxury of saving a bit to get it sorted properly. I don't do a lot of work with the db, but what I do get is usually sessions and it doesn't look too smart when you're taking a pair of pliers to it as soon as it's out of the case...

Yep. BassMax and ProPlat is a great combo. I did have the bp100 but it sounded like someone hurting a goose... still working on the right amp setup tho...