Why become a member? ×

Calling all Trace Elliot Experts

eude

Hey guys,
As I've mentioned numerous times over in bassworld, I've finally decided to sell on my Trace Elliot combo for something lighter and more compact.
I'm pretty much already set on what I'm going to replace it with, however I'm not really sure what it's worth.
I'm probably going to end up trading it in, as the basschat marketplace has been a bit slow of late.
Could anyone offer me some advice as to what it's worth?...

It's a Trace Elliot 7215 SMC 300W 15" Combo.
I'm pretty sure I got it new in 99 and it's pre-gibson, however I might be wrong..

Here's a few pics >>

[attachment=685:amp.jpg]

[attachment=686:frontPanel.jpg]

Here's the all important serial number too >>

[attachment=687:serial.jpg]

It's seen very very light use, never been even near halfway volume-wise, and only been gigged a few times, only recently too.
It's in almost immaculate condition bar a couple of scratches on the metal grill.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='17666' date='Jun 14 2007, 04:18 PM']Hey guys,
As I've mentioned numerous times over in bassworld, I've finally decided to sell on my Trace Elliot combo for something lighter and more compact.
I'm pretty much already set on what I'm going to replace it with, however I'm not really sure what it's worth.
I'm probably going to end up trading it in, as the basschat marketplace has been a bit slow of late.
Could anyone offer me some advice as to what it's worth?...

It's a Trace Elliot 7215 SMC 300W 15" Combo.
I'm pretty sure I got it new in 99 and it's pre-gibson, however I might be wrong..

Here's a few pics >>

[attachment=685:amp.jpg]

[attachment=686:frontPanel.jpg]

Here's the all important serial number too >>

[attachment=687:serial.jpg]

It's seen very very light use, never been even near halfway volume-wise, and only been gigged a few times, only recently too.
It's in almost immaculate condition bar a couple of scratches on the metal grill.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]
Made in March 1999 (399 on the end of the serial) so pre-Gibson design and build, yes. Price? Not sure. About £300 maybe, poss £400? God knows, I'm useless at pricing things.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='17759' date='Jun 14 2007, 06:13 PM']The SMC 7 band range came out in January 1998.
Gibson acquired Trace in October 1998.

Yours is a pre-Gibson design and built under Gibson ownership. The Gibson ownership is unlikely to have had any effect whatsoever on the quality of the amps built by the time yours was.[/quote]

Ah right, that makes sense dude.
Thanks,

Eude

[quote name='dlloyd' post='17759' date='Jun 14 2007, 06:13 PM']The SMC 7 band range came out in January 1998.
Gibson acquired Trace in October 1998.

Yours is a pre-Gibson design and built under Gibson ownership. The Gibson ownership is unlikely to have had any effect whatsoever on the quality of the amps built by the time yours was.[/quote]

You're right. :) I got me dates muddled up. Sorry!

[quote name='dlloyd' post='17874' date='Jun 14 2007, 08:55 PM']Mar 1999 Introduction of 12-band series (GP12X preamp)

July 2000 General redesign of Trace amps: Introduction of new 7-band series (promising real world prices); Introduction of new 12-band series; Introduction of V8 Amp; redesign of the Commando combos

2000 to 2001 Manufacture of some amps moved to asia.

Dec 2001 Gibson stops production of Trace Elliot amps, rebadging some as Gibson amps[/quote]
Awesome post, nice one!

The one Q I have is about the Gibson era 12-band stuff - were there really 2 versions of it?? Also, i swear I remember being at uni in my first year when the Gibson buy-out was announced, but that was Oct/Nov 1999.... How my brain is muddled :)

[quote name='Hamster' post='17904' date='Jun 14 2007, 10:05 PM']I think you'll be pushed to sell it for much more than £300. Take any offer between £300 - £325.

Hamster[/quote]

That's cool dude.
The amp I want to get is only £299 on gak.co.uk , so £300 would be fine, I'm not looking to make a profit, just get something smaller with as little hassle as possible.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice and thanks to dlloyd for the history lesson, answered a lot of questions I've had about Trace's history.

Cheers,
Eude

• 1 month later...

[quote name='eude' post='35373' date='Jul 21 2007, 08:34 PM']Hey guys,
I've not had any luck selling this amp on here.
I've been offered £200 trade in for it, it seems a bit low, to me, any thoughts?

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

Noooooooooo! - that's too low. Absolute bottom dollar price has got to be £250. A well written and presented ad on ebay should produce £275 - £300 for it. If you're desperate to sell it start it at £275 or put that on as a reserve price.

Hamster