Why become a member? ×

Who's using a Epifani UL410?

dave_bass5

Now that i have decided to get rid of my UL212 and get a UL410 instead i find that im going to have to order it from the USA.
Not a big deal really and its cheaper than getting it from Europe (unless you know better).
I want it soon so the gallery is out.

just wanted to hear what people think of them. ive read a lot about them on TB but it would be nice to hear some UK thoughts.

Cheers.

[quote name='chris_b' post='172310' date='Apr 8 2008, 03:16 PM']For the price of an imported UL410, maybe you should also be considering the Bergantino AE410 from Bass Direct or one of RIM Basses Dr Bass cabs.[/quote]

After reading through the Epifani vs Bergantino thread and talking to Ken Jung over on TB im pretty sure i wont like the AE410.
I did consider it but i feel from the descriptions of both, the UL410 will be smoother. I really dont want an aggressive mid and the AE410 seems to have it.
Not really sure about the Dr Bass cab. i couldn't see a 410 on their website but i have hear about very long delays in delivery times for them.

[quote name='ashevans09' post='172356' date='Apr 8 2008, 03:59 PM']Just recieved my UL410's yesterday ^_^ , and though I've only been able to run a crappy little behringer through them at the moment they sound absolutely IMMENSE :) . Very smooth and yummy.

And the Gallery got them in pretty quickly for me - 3 weeks I think.[/quote]

Your one of the lucky ones.
I emailed alex last week but because they had already made an order a couple of weeks ago they wont be doing another for at lest a couple of months.
I can get mine cheaper (yes, even with VAT etc) from the USA but after the hassle i had with my UL212 when i first got it (all ok now of course) im a bit weary about ordering from over seas.
Im not going to wait 8-10 weeks though.

Are you gigging or rehearsing with it soon?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='172319' date='Apr 8 2008, 03:24 PM']After reading through the Epifani vs Bergantino thread and talking to Ken Jung over on TB im pretty sure i wont like the AE410.
I did consider it but i feel from the descriptions of both, the UL410 will be smoother. I really dont want an aggressive mid and the AE410 seems to have it.
Not really sure about the Dr Bass cab. i couldn't see a 410 on their website but i have hear about very long delays in delivery times for them.[/quote]

Dave,

This is a very interesting point and one I feel compelled to throw in my two quids worth, don't disregard the Bergantino cabs without hearing them I was fortunate enough to try them recently and they are excellent. The danger here is taking someone else's description literally and spending your dosh on the back of that. Ken writes very informed, balanced reviews of his gear but to borrow one of his phrases your "tone goals " may differ from his, Ken's reference generally being a modern Jazz Bass tone playing Celinder and Coppollo basses. And if you look a little further he tends to optimise various amplifiers with different output topologies, with different cabinets in drawing his conclusion. So it's a combination of the best sounding amp and cab. Cabinet choice is so subjective and I think the tonal idiosyncrasies between two boxes of the quality of Epifani and Bergantino are worth checking out for yourself.

On the Epifani front it's worth noting there's a big difference between original UL's and the current series II cabinets, I had the original UL 410 and UL 502. The series II have a rounder , open bottom end with a definite scoop in the mids compared to series I. I heard the full range of series II at the NAMM and Frankfurt music shows recently, if your used to hearing the first generation UL product don't expect the new boxes to sound the same. There's also a very interesting recent addition on the Epifani news page warning of UL cabinet compatibility with other manufacturers amplifiers. There quoting 2% driver failures when driven with Epifani amps, the remaining 98% is being attributed to overdriving issues with other manufacturers amplifiers or user error. The main issue seems to be smaller or artificially inflated amplifier ratings offered by some manufacturers driven into square wave distortion and burning out voice coils. Worth a read as some of the points are valid, however I also suspect that certain other bass manufacturers offering very good class d amplifiers at 30-40% cheaper than a UL 502 might have something to do with it!

Mick

I bought and gigged with an Epifani 3x10 last year, and currently use a Berg IP rig.

The Epifani gear is great if you like the inherent sound, the Berg gear lets you dial in your sound, it's much more of a blank canvas.
Funnily enough I'm using an Epifani preamp which really suits the Bergantino stuff.

Have a word with Mark from Bass direct, he has a great demo studio, much better than trying stuff in a normal shop environment, you can take your own bass and amp.

I'm using a UL-610 - not sure if it's a series 1 or 2 to be honest.. since it is still fairly new, I'd *guess* that it was a series 2!

I'm pleased with it.. I took it up to the BassBash recently .. but I spent so much time talking to everyone, I didn't spend too much time 'showing' it!!!!!!

Thanks Guys.
Mick. Ive actually had quite a few PMs with Ken over the past 18 months about cabs and i think im on his wavelength. While i agree whith what you say about going by other peoles idea of tone i have read quite a bit about the two 410's and still find all the descriptions of the UL410 more to my likeing.
Plus i own the same head as ken (LMII) uses with his UL410 so i can get a better idea of how the two will work if nothing else.
I have owned a UL115 before this and i do like the UL tone. My UL212 was a Series 2 when it first arrived but due to a poor drivers i have swapped them out for B+W's making it a series 1. I didnt notice much difference and im sure there are some but for me a different stage can make much more of a difference. My rig souds quite different from one night to the next so im not really worried about if i get a series 1 or 2 UL410.
Its interesting about the amp warning on the Epi site. Ive not read it but i would assume it will apply to all cab unless i have got it wrong. Ill have a read later.

My main problem is i dont have transport to travel with gear outside of lonodn. Plus i work mon-fri and the gigging at the weekends so trying gear out is a big problem.
Ill not write the Berg off but other people have also comeented on the more agreeive mid and i do want a smoother sound. I tend to back off the high mids on my LMII and also have the cab tweeter turned down a bit so i do think the Berg might not be ideal.

Im actually going off the idea now anyway. Not because i dont want a new cab, just that im not sure i need to spend a lot of money at the moment. My UL212 is fine for all my gigs, even though im not 100% on the tone.
That not to say i wont though.

If you don't have transport for gigs outside London, maybe you should reconsider getting a 410. Not many gigs require a cab that big, and the ones that do would involve you going through the PA one way or another, right?

I have the UL410, and it's great, never let me down, and it's crystal clear! So I'm not saying that the cab's not good, just giving you a bit of food for thought!

[quote name='Welshbassist' post='175959' date='Apr 13 2008, 11:25 PM']If you don't have transport for gigs outside London, maybe you should reconsider getting a 410. Not many gigs require a cab that big, and the ones that do would involve you going through the PA one way or another, right?

I have the UL410, and it's great, never let me down, and it's crystal clear! So I'm not saying that the cab's not good, just giving you a bit of food for thought![/quote]

sorry, what i meant was during the week. Of course i have transport for gigs (my UL212 is the same size as the UL410 after all).
I go with my drummer and he keeps my rig at his place.
Actually one of the plus points in getting a UL410 is that i know it will fit in the space the UL212 will leave, even though the Berg is a bit smaller. Also i have a Epifani soft cover so that too will fit the UL410.