Why become a member? ×

Schaller Upright Bass Magnetic Pickup

lockpicker1969

Hi
My [b]Schaller Upright Bass Magnetic Pickup[/b]
aka Schaller Kontrabass-Pickup 411, Modell 10/70 has finally arrived. I am disappointed because I have read that it dosent work very well with the innovation rock a billy strings I have on . now that I have it should I screw it into the fingerboard and see what sound I get anyway? or do you think I should hold on and buy something else.

Nope - don't get anything else. The reason it won't work well with your Innovation strings is that they probably don't have enough metallic content for the pickup to work. If anything you'll need to change your strings.

This is from Bob Gollihur's site:

[i][b][u][size="+2"]IMPORTANT[/size][/u][size="+2"]!! Please Note:[/size][/b][/i]
Magnetic pickups require strings with a significant metallic content in order to provide a good quality signal. Double bass strings can contain a number of different non-magnetic materials, unlike bass guitar strings that are intended for use with magnetic pickups. Therefore, it is important that you consider that factor when choosing strings for use with this or any other magnetic pickup. Many strings are quite suitable, such as Thomastik Spirocores, Corelli 370, etc., but others and mixes of different manufacturer or model strings may result in uneven tone and response. For instance, Pirastro Obligatos may look like metal strings, but they are primarily a nylon core, with only a very thin metallic surface -- as a result their response is not satisfactory due to the lack of metal. You may wish to research the matter or inquire with the manufacturer as to string construction or survey other bassists who are using magnetic pickups to ensure that the strings are suitable.
I will continue to survey new users and requesting responses from magnetic pickup users, and will list string types good or bad for magnetic use as they become known. The recommendations below are from other players using magnetic pickups, not necessarily my personal experiences.

Strings reported to be GOOD for magnetic pickup use: [list]
[*][url="http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/1250-EUROSONIC_UPRIGHT_BASS_STRINGS_SETS.html"]Eurosonics[/url]
[*]Pirastro Original Flexocore
[*][url="http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/1459-THOMASTIK_SPIROCORE_UPRIGHT_BASS_STRING_SETS.html"]Thomastik Spirocores[/url]
[*][url="http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/1452-CORELLI_370_UPRIGHT_BASS_STRINGS_SETS.html"]Corelli 370[/url] (I can vouch for these)
[*][url="http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product_details.cfm?ProdID=1633"]Kolstein Heritage[/url] (thanks, Steve!)
[*]Jargar dolce
[*][url="http://www.gollihurmusic.com/Manufacturer/22-DADDARIO.html"]D'Addario Helicore[/url]-- (Note: though I have my concerns with the E string; seems as if its response is somewhat lower than the other strings, at least the Orchestra and Hybrids I tried seemed that way.)
[/list] Strings reported to be NOT GOOD for magnetic pickup use: [list]
[*]Pirastro Obligatos (minimal metallic content)
[*]LaBella Supernils (no metallic content)
[*]All Innovation Strings (no metallic content)
[*]Gut strings (insufficent or no metallic content)
[/list]

Really like mine, and did not screw to fingerboard.... looked like an insubstantial mounting and would leave holes in fb. I made a plywood extension for fingerboard, screwed pick up into this, fixed plywood to fb with 2 x cable ties. Works well, and can have seriously loud db with no feedback. Use in loud blues band now and then, no problems. Let me know if a picture would help.

• 7 years later...
On 25/02/2012 at 20:35, 3below said:

Really like mine, and did not screw to fingerboard.... looked like an insubstantial mounting and would leave holes in fb. I made a plywood extension for fingerboard, screwed pick up into this, fixed plywood to fb with 2 x cable ties. Works well, and can have seriously loud db with no feedback. Use in loud blues band now and then, no problems. Let me know if a picture would help.

I've just brought one of these pick ups and would be very interested in seeing a picture of how you've connected your pickup to your bass

• 1 month later...
On 31/07/2019 at 21:32, paul64 said:

I've just brought one of these pick ups and would be very interested in seeing a picture of how you've connected your pickup to your bass

I’ve just got Aaron Armstrong (of Kent Armstrong) to make me a 5 string double bass pickup and then had Simon Farmer (of GUS Guitars) make a fingerboard extension to fit it into. He made a rosewood block that he glued to the underside of the fingerboard and then a channelled other block that is screwed into this block that also holds the pickup in place. I can remove this and the pickup by loosening two screws and all that is left is the block stuck to the underside of the fingerboard, which can’t be seen and could be removed with a little woodworking skill, leaving no sign of it ever having been fitted.

B886F366-DE67-4FBE-9E8A-959CB31E6E1C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I recently scored a schaller on EBay but given I might want to switch it between basses and I don’t like the idea of drilling holes in stuff, I took an idea from an old Talkbass thread of turning the schaller upside down and attaching it with the same monster velcro as the Krivo uses. Seems to have worked a treat - rock solid. For anyone expecting anything else, it sounds nothing like a double bass, but that’s the compromise, innit?

On 06/09/2019 at 16:11, 6feet7 said:

I’ve just got Aaron Armstrong (of Kent Armstrong) to make me a 5 string double bass pickup and then had Simon Farmer (of GUS Guitars) make a fingerboard extension to fit it into. He made a rosewood block that he glued to the underside of the fingerboard and then a channelled other block that is screwed into this block that also holds the pickup in place. I can remove this and the pickup by loosening two screws and all that is left is the block stuck to the underside of the fingerboard, which can’t be seen and could be removed with a little woodworking skill, leaving no sign of it ever having been fitted.

B886F366-DE67-4FBE-9E8A-959CB31E6E1C.jpeg

brilliant!  I had Aaron make me a 5 stringer last Christmas for my Thomann (stunal) but I've been putting off fitting it ever since as I couldn't figure out how.  Your solution looks ideal.  Does the extra weight at the end of the fingerboard cause any noticeable tonal shifts?

5 minutes ago, jacko said:

brilliant!  I had Aaron make me a 5 stringer last Christmas for my Thomann (stunal) but I've been putting off fitting it ever since as I couldn't figure out how.  Your solution looks ideal.  Does the extra weight at the end of the fingerboard cause any noticeable tonal shifts?

Not the way I play :)

1 hour ago, jacko said:

Looks really fantastic :) Neat!