Why become a member? ×

Valve amps with a WOW factor.

Have you see this month's copy of Bass Player yet?

The cover feature is :

The Power & Glory of Tube Amps - The Science Behind the Sexy Sound

Followed by:

Buyer's Guide - 13 Tube Titans!

& :

The Anatomy of a Classic Tube Amp

To be honest the buyer's guide is simply a list of a few tube amps & some basic specs and a pic of each one but sounds like a good starting point. Hiwatt Custom 400 rocking in at the most expensive I think at $5,500!

Edited by molan

[quote name='man_at_arms84' post='223177' date='Jun 20 2008, 07:16 PM']£1,400?
Daaaaammn. If I had the cash I would. I bought a Marshall VBA 400, All tube 400 Watts not too long ago. Sounds mint through my Matamp cabs. mmmmm.[/quote]
aye i'm gonna get one of their 2X15 cabs, that head is seriously worth it though, had the matamp factory shaking with it on 2.

There's a few pages on the Fender 400PS in "The Soul Of Tone" - a really big and excellent book for the valve amp and valve amp history lovers among you although only 1 chapter deicated to bass amps... but a real interesting read and some lovely pics :) and discussions of cabs n such...

:huh:

[quote name='carlosfandango' post='223383' date='Jun 21 2008, 01:19 AM']I love the sounds of a 70's Marshall head (Super Bass) with a 4x12 or 4x15 cab. Especially my Warwicks...there something magic with active bases and tubes.....yum! I've got a Warwick Tubepath that is a hybrid that does a very convincing all tube sound as well.[/quote]
I have a 70's Superbass mrk II. Sounds "OK" to me. Hasnt really got the power I need. It all but dissapears as soon as the guitarist and drummer I play with start. Shame As my mate had one years ago and it sounded amazing. Mine still sounds great for guitar though.

[quote name='umph' post='223468' date='Jun 21 2008, 10:59 AM']aye i'm gonna get one of their 2X15 cabs, that head is seriously worth it though, had the matamp factory shaking with it on 2.[/quote]
Shuuuut uupppp!!! haha. My Wallets taken a MASSIVE bashing with amps through the years and needs a good rest!
I defo recomend Matamp cabs like. I got two 4x10 made up for me in Jan (they actually made me 4, incase I wanted all of them!). They sound and look great. (unfortunatley they had no green vinyl left, only a choice of black orange or pink.)
Im thinking in the future of getting two 2X15's too to make a massive super rig. Let me know what yours are like when you get them.
You live in sheffield and like matamp? Do you play in band down there per chance?

[quote name='man_at_arms84' post='223967' date='Jun 22 2008, 08:33 AM']I have a 70's Superbass mrk II. Sounds "OK" to me. Hasnt really got the power I need. It all but dissapears as soon as the guitarist and drummer I play with start. Shame As my mate had one years ago and it sounded amazing. Mine still sounds great for guitar though.

Shuuuut uupppp!!! haha. My Wallets taken a MASSIVE bashing with amps through the years and needs a good rest!
I defo recomend Matamp cabs like. I got two 4x10 made up for me in Jan (they actually made me 4, incase I wanted all of them!). They sound and look great. (unfortunatley they had no green vinyl left, only a choice of black orange or pink.)
Im thinking in the future of getting two 2X15's too to make a massive super rig. Let me know what yours are like when you get them.
You live in sheffield and like matamp? Do you play in band down there per chance?[/quote]
should just go for the best of the best and judging by what your saying you like LOUD and the matamp definatly does that. you gonna be going through 2 heads? i'm trying to look for one that isn't to expensive atm was thinking about a ampeg v4 might save and get a 400+ though 500 tube watts sounds appealing. Yeah i'm in a band called naisian i know dean from the mirimar disaster and that though whos been trying to get me and my guitarist to buy matamps. Your in the manatees right?

[quote name='umph' post='224550' date='Jun 22 2008, 10:41 PM']should just go for the best of the best and judging by what your saying you like LOUD and the matamp definatly does that. you gonna be going through 2 heads? i'm trying to look for one that isn't to expensive atm was thinking about a ampeg v4 might save and get a 400+ though 500 tube watts sounds appealing. Yeah i'm in a band called naisian i know dean from the mirimar disaster and that though whos been trying to get me and my guitarist to buy matamps. Your in the manatees right?[/quote]

Yeah I been on the lookout for matamp to make a bass head for ages since Jeff at the factory told em they were going to do one. Alas I dont have the cash right now.
Saying that the head I have now, the marshall VBA 400 is bloody brilliant. and It didnt cost me alot. I got it for like under £450 with a flight case. Worth looking out for one. I know theres been a few on sale in the forums here. Only thing is the ridiclous amount of tubes it takes, 8x 6550, 3X ECC83 and 1 x ECC82. So a retube is mega bucks.
I'd eventually like to go through, esentially 2 rigs. One for more toppy end and one for more lower end. I better start saving!

Yeah I play in manatees. I know dean and the Mirimar Disaster lot a fair bit. Infact it was dean who partly made me cabs at matamp!
Aint heard your band before, but I'll check them out. You guessed it I like LOUD music. :)

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Finbar' post='295690' date='Sep 30 2008, 05:51 PM']10 months? Crikey o_O Thought it was far less. Won't stop me ordering one. Infact, it just gives me another 6 months to save, so I can order it sooner. If you look at it that way :)[/quote]
do it. it looks cool and everything think i might be getting a 2X10 or 4X10 to go with the 2X15 not sure yet though

[quote name='The Burpster' post='172297' date='Apr 8 2008, 03:03 PM']Or if you're real flash--- commision [i]Two Rock[/i] to make you one! :)[/quote]

ha ha, that's what I was gonna say!

.... not read the whole thread yet, but back in the not-so-ridiculously-priced-world; has anyone suggested Fafner (by EBS)?

[quote name='Finbar' post='295690' date='Sep 30 2008, 05:51 PM']10 months? Crikey o_O Thought it was far less. Won't stop me ordering one. Infact, it just gives me another 6 months to save, so I can order it sooner. If you look at it that way :)[/quote]

I may be wrong, Im sure I heard that somewhere. Best thing to do if your serious about gettying a matamp is call Jeff at the factory and have a chat with him.
He's spot and he'll tell you the crack. Although Beware, he may leave you wanting one sooooo bad so best to be sure you want one.

[quote name='bassmandan' post='295851' date='Sep 30 2008, 08:29 PM']ha ha, that's what I was gonna say!

.... not read the whole thread yet, but back in the not-so-ridiculously-priced-world; has anyone suggested Fafner (by EBS)?[/quote]

Fafner? I've never had a chance to try one out though I hear they are great.
Any experience?

[quote name='man_at_arms84' post='295974' date='Sep 30 2008, 10:29 PM']I may be wrong, Im sure I heard that somewhere. Best thing to do if your serious about gettying a matamp is call Jeff at the factory and have a chat with him.
He's spot and he'll tell you the crack. Although Beware, he may leave you wanting one sooooo bad so best to be sure you want one.

Fafner? I've never had a chance to try one out though I hear they are great.
Any experience?[/quote]
the matamp factory is bad for your wallet.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='174324' date='Apr 11 2008, 08:30 AM']Treble'n'Bass 50's routinely go for under £300.[/quote]

Selmer Treble'n'Bass 50 was my first amp - cost me about £30 in about 1974. I wish I'd kept it, in fact I wish I'd kept everything I ever had.

Especially the Hiwatt 100 watt and its 2x15 cab that was the size of a small shed and was capable of demolishing a large shed by volume alone.

[quote name='Toasted' post='298296' date='Oct 3 2008, 08:55 AM']The drive channels on the new Matamp green is epic. The clean. . . not so much for me.[/quote]

I like the clean but it's a lot smoother than what I normally like and as we both know it isn't loud enough for me but it is a beast of an amp

[quote name='foal30' post='296072' date='Oct 1 2008, 12:05 AM']1972 Jansen 50 Bassman
with the flatwound strung P Bass through some 15" speakers I feel like a new player.
re-invigorated no less.[/quote]
Hahaaaa I played one of those in high school! Valves were knackered in it.