Why become a member? ×

Set-ups in York

Kohpnyn

Hey,
haven't posted in a while, so maybe this is the wrong subsection for this - sorry if so.
Anyway, I've been looking at getting my bass getting set-up recently, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of the music shops in York (Mor, Banks, Red Cow).
I'd be interested in places within about 15 miles too, but can't really give consideration to anywhere further than that because I don't want to cycle that far with bass on back
Cheers

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1330077226' post='1552248']
I know this isn't what you are asking.... but why aren't you doing it yourself?
[/quote]
Because I'd end up going wrong somewhere.
I'm comfortable with slight tweaks etc but I really wouldn't even know where to start as I've not touched the thing (Geddy Jazz) for ages so it's gotten into a bit of a state.

Sorry mate, despite living here for years I've not tried anywhere locally. I guess the alternative might be that a forum member, with some more experience, steps in and sorts it for you if you can't find a local shop to do it.

Will be good to hear you report back on your experiences, mind.

Edited by Gust0o

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1330077825' post='1552260']
Sorry mate, despite living here for years I've not tried anywhere locally. I guess the alternative might be that a forum member, with some more experience, steps in and sorts it for you if you can't find a local shop to do it.

Will be good to hear you report back on your experiences, mind.
[/quote]

Okay, cheers. I'll let you know what I end up doing and how it goes.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1330079362' post='1552290']
I recently heard a recommendation for Dave Gregory, he's down by Clifton Green: [url="http://davegregoryguitars.com/"]http://davegregoryguitars.com/[/url] I haven't used him myself though.

I've never taken anything in to MOR or Red Cow.
[/quote]

He looks like he ought to be pretty good. Also located about 30cm from me which is nice. Popped him an email. Cheers

Banks don't tend to do serious set up work for bass. Basic stuff like restrings and minor adjustments but if you're looking for anything beyond that then look for someone with experience of bass setups.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1330116139' post='1553121']There's Jim Fleeting in Ripon - he's a member here as well.

[url="http://www.guitarrepairman.co.uk/"]http://www.guitarrepairman.co.uk/[/url][/quote]

Ripon's a long way on a bike though. And doesn't have a train station! I still can't get over Ripon not having a train station.

[quote name='Kohpnyn' timestamp='1330701876' post='1561896']
Dave Gregory said he was booked for months and recommended Steve at RedCow.
Seeing as pretty much everyone ever in York has recommended Steve I took it there - will report back if anyone really cares
[/quote]

Definitely interested, please do report back.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1330731534' post='1562452']
Ripon doesn't have a train station?!?
[/quote]

I know! Ridiculous. And they wonder why they're thought of as Harrogate's poor sibling. Get a train station, Ripon, you pre-Victorian weirdos.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1330741437' post='1562529']
I know! Ridiculous. And they wonder why they're thought of as Harrogate's poor sibling. Get a train station, Ripon, you pre-Victorian weirdos.
[/quote]

They had one in Victorian times.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1330741437' post='1562529']

Definitely interested, please do report back.

[/quote]

Has a Catherdral mind, and a canal.......!

Went to Steve at redcow, picked it up today. He was late by a day or something because apparently he got pulled out because someone shitted the electronics at Fibbers, and was really apologetic. I didn't even notice tbh
With regard to the set up - yeah, bang on. All fret buzz etc gone, feels great and makes me want to play with fingers again.
Would recommend him happily
P.s Thanks to everyone for their input 'n' that

Edited by Kohpnyn

[quote name='Kohpnyn' timestamp='1331220984' post='1569720']
Went to Steve at redcow, picked it up today. He was late by a day or something because apparently he got pulled out because someone shitted the electronics at Fibbers[/quote]

Alright, which of you friggers was it? :lol: