Why become a member? ×

Sandberg love!

pietruszka

I have mine on order, should be with me early November:

California VT (that's a PJ pickup configuration to you and me)
Fretted 5 string
Rosewood board with dots
Three tone sunburst with tortoisehell scratchplate
Hardcore aged (to match my 70 fretless P)
34" scale

Can't wait!

Cheers

Gareth

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1344590146' post='1766693']

Fretted 5 string
Rosewood board with dots
34" scale

Can't wait!

Cheers

Gareth
[/quote]

Sweet!

Who did you order from?

Fretted 5 string
Rosewood board with dots
34" scale

Can't wait!

Cheers

Gareth
[/quote]

Weirdly enough I just noticed the P/J! Probably the best value highest spec PJ available in Europe!

Fretted 5 string
Rosewood board with dots
34" scale

Can't wait!

Cheers

Gareth
[/quote]

Jealous! Mine's not gonna be ready until around Christmas apparently! I did keep changing the spec though, so it's my own fault...... :blush:

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1341051933' post='1713197']
No unfortunately. On the California series, which have the two-band eq, the treble pot becomes a passive tone control. I reckon it would be worth emailing Glockenklang, because I'm sure it must be possible to do. Alternatively, you can buy a Glockenklang 3 band pre from Thomann, which has the passive tone control, swap them over and just leave the blend pot inside the cavity.
[/quote]

Bit late for this I know, but I had to say something as I was having a shufty about the thread.

The Glockenklang pre-amps, it's really simple to remove the blend from the wiring, I've done it to both a 2 band and a 3 band. IIRC, it's just pop the brown and black wires off of the blend pot, and connect them to your pickup, or coil switch, or such.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Darkstrike' timestamp='1348867930' post='1819442']
Lads, anyone know if the Sandberg Power Humbuckers have the capability of being wired with a series/single/parallel switch?
[/quote]

Yeah, it's a 4 core wire so it's possible. I experimented with doing that on one of my Basic 4s, but I found the parallel and single coil sounds a bit too weak for my tastes, so didn't make it a permanent change. The Cali TMs have a coil split switch and so do the Basic Ken Taylor's (although I very rarely engage it!)

Cheers mate! I have a VM5 on the way, and I have a mini toggle switch with it too. I was considering doing the mod if it were possible, most of my basses with humbuckers have them. I know it works better with some pickups than others, was hoping this would be one of the better cases. Surprisingly, the worst and best I've come across were both Seymour Duncan pickups.

I'm still considering strings, flats or rounds.

[quote name='Darkstrike' timestamp='1349104062' post='1821839']
Cheers mate! I have a VM5 on the way, and I have a mini toggle switch with it too. I was considering doing the mod if it were possible, most of my basses with humbuckers have them. I know it works better with some pickups than others, was hoping this would be one of the better cases. Surprisingly, the worst and best I've come across were both Seymour Duncan pickups.

I'm still considering strings, flats or rounds.
[/quote]

No probs. Have you asked Sandberg to add a switch or are you installing it yourself?

SS Rounds all the way for me, but it's a pretty personal choice I guess. :D

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1349108021' post='1821913']
No probs. Have you asked Sandberg to add a switch or are you installing it yourself?

SS Rounds all the way for me, but it's a pretty personal choice I guess. :D
[/quote]
Oh, I'd install it myself, as I bought a stock bass. Chances are I'll play it stock and be happy though, and keep the switch for another project.

I'm normally a round on my P guy, for that grindy rock tone, but I had a Squier with flats that was awesome for Thin Lizzy and blues/rock stuff.

[quote name='Darkstrike' timestamp='1349108346' post='1821922']
Oh, I'd install it myself, as I bought a stock bass. Chances are I'll play it stock and be happy though, and keep the switch for another project.

I'm normally a round on my P guy, for that grindy rock tone, but I had a Squier with flats that was awesome for Thin Lizzy and blues/rock stuff.
[/quote]

You won't be disappointed, they're superb basses. I had a Cali PM/VM for a while and it was ace. Make sure you post some pics when it arrives!

Gotta wait 'til December for mine.......... :(

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1349108535' post='1821926']
You won't be disappointed, they're superb basses. I had a Cali PM/VM for a while and it was ace. Make sure you post some pics when it arrives!

Gotta wait 'til December for mine.......... :(
[/quote]

I think you're right! Every soundclip I've heard has been great, and the necks sound just to my taste. I've wanted a 5er with a P pickup for a long, long time.

December, thats hard, but I bet it'll be completely worth it!

[quote name='Darkstrike' timestamp='1349109016' post='1821935']
I think you're right! Every soundclip I've heard has been great, and the necks sound just to my taste. I've wanted a 5er with a P pickup for a long, long time.

December, thats hard, but I bet it'll be completely worth it!
[/quote]

I'm hoping it'll be here in time for the NYE gig! Having re-read my post, I should just point out that I'm not getting a Cali VM, but another Basic Ken Taylor 5 built to my spec.

[quote name='Darkstrike' timestamp='1349131002' post='1822347']
I had guessed it was a Basic, I think I read earlier in the thread that you sold a Basic to fund this. They look like mighty modern style instruments, especially Ken Taylors, them double buckers have got to sound beastly.
[/quote]

I could kind of take or leave the looks, it's the neck feel and weight that really make it for me. Plus the twin buckers with coil split are pretty versatile! I've been surprised how close to a P sort of sound I can get from the neck pup.

[quote name='Darkstrike' timestamp='1349133598' post='1822371']
That one has a 3 band too, right?
[/quote]

Yeah, and of course the active/passive switching. One of the best things about the VM is the passive tone control IMO, you can get some great trad p tones! I did ask if they could include it on my new KT, but they said no (even though I know that Glockenklang do make a 3 band with the passive tone). Maybe I'll just have to contact Glockenklang at some point and see if I can buy the pot and get a schematic to do it.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1349134220' post='1822374']
Yeah, and of course the active/passive switching. One of the best things about the VM is the passive tone control IMO, you can get some great trad p tones! I did ask if they could include it on my new KT, but they said no (even though I know that Glockenklang do make a 3 band with the passive tone). Maybe I'll just have to contact Glockenklang at some point and see if I can buy the pot and get a schematic to do it.
[/quote]

It's odd, considering Glock do make the pre. Hopefully they'll supply the knob for you. It looks identical to a blend knob to me, using 3 lugs like a normal eq knob, and the other 3 as a passive tone setup.

Delano sell the knob for their pres, and even supply a diagram to wire it in, maybe the same thing will work on the Glock. I'm sure Best Bass Gear used to have it too.

EDIT: Looking at images of the Glockenklang pre, it seems a really simple job if you get the knob. Wire it the same as the stock knob, and add two wires from two of the new lugs to two empty slots ready in the volume knobs circut board. Looks like the preamp is desigend to be modular at the factory, so they can wire it with any of their available setups without special parts. Besides this treble knob, of course.

Another mod idea I had was to put oen of them 3 bands in the VM, and use the mini toggle as a pickup selector, if I don't use the blend much.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1349134584' post='1822376']
5 weeks until my VT5 arrives......
[/quote]

Good luck!

Edited by Darkstrike

My 'Berg arrived today, and man am I happy! The neck is magic, true magic, Plek'd too, that's a hell of a surprise! The sound is fantastic too, won't be screing about adding switches that's for sure! Also, the Thomann pics aren't up to date, I got a new one, with them sweet new knobs with the guide marks. Treble and bass were reversed to what I expected, but it makes sense, as I find I'll be using the treble/tone a lot more.

Feels good to be playing a P again. :)

[IMG]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z279/darkstrikeofbass/Sandberg/SAM_0386.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z279/darkstrikeofbass/Sandberg/SAM_0388.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z279/darkstrikeofbass/Sandberg/SAM_0387.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Darkstrike' timestamp='1349711832' post='1829468']
My 'Berg arrived today, and man am I happy! The neck is magic, true magic, Plek'd too, that's a hell of a surprise! The sound is fantastic too, won't be screing about adding switches that's for sure! Also, the Thomann pics aren't up to date, I got a new one, with them sweet new knobs with the guide marks. Treble and bass were reversed to what I expected, but it makes sense, as I find I'll be using the treble/tone a lot more.

Feels good to be playing a P again. :)

[/quote]

That's really really nice man! Is that a VM5 Supreme then? It's the necks that have always really sold 'bergs to me.

The best thing about the hardware upgrade is the bridge saddles. The locking screw used to be at an angle on the inside of the saddle (hope that makes sense!) so you had to remove the string to get to it. I believe they're now more easily accessible. It was always about my only design gripe with Sandberg!

Hope you enjoy it!

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1349914638' post='1832319']
That's really really nice man! Is that a VM5 Supreme then? It's the necks that have always really sold 'bergs to me.

The best thing about the hardware upgrade is the bridge saddles. The locking screw used to be at an angle on the inside of the saddle (hope that makes sense!) so you had to remove the string to get to it. I believe they're now more easily accessible. It was always about my only design gripe with Sandberg!

Hope you enjoy it!
[/quote]
Yup! A Supreme, I'm loving it more and more.

I get you and the saddles, I have basses with that setup, and it's just awkward, these are fantastic, nothing is in anythings way.

• 2 weeks later...