Why become a member? ×

off to New York next week...Music stores?

MartyBRebelMC

Anyone recommend a good/interesting music store in Manhattan (wont have time to go trecking around much further afield)?

Also i was going to pickup a Tech 21 BBDI out there if i get the chance as they're around $200... i'm assuming there's no difference between one bought there and one bought in the uk?

Any suggestions gratefully recieved

cheers

Martin

Most of the music shops in NYC are on 48th street which is equivalent to Denmark Street here in London. Unfortunately nearly all of them are now owned by Sam Ash. However the bass section of Rudy's is definitely worth going to. There's a Guitar Centre further downtown. Also last time I was there the small music shop next to the entrance to the Chelsea Hotel had some interesting stuff in it. There are also a couple of music shops on the East Side. I found all of these places in Time Out and Rough Guide books on New York.

There's also the Sadowsky workshop in Brooklyn (within walking distance of the end of Brooklyn Bridge) which is open to walk-in customers. Fodera are also in Brooklyn but I don't know what their policy is regarding people just turning up.

Regarding your prospective Tech21 purchase remember that the USA runs on 110V so you'll need a new PSU for it (or a step-down transformer) to use it in the UK.

No. Manhattan is a fantastic place to visit.

I spent 5 days walking just about every street. The 40's cafe where they filmed the Days of the Condor, The cathedral which feartured in the Godfather, Ellis Island, the museums, SoHo, Empire State, Central Park (during the day time). It's all great except it's not cheap for bass gear, clothes or food when you compare prices to other parts of the US.

Go to Sadowsky, I didn't last time I was over and I've been kicking myself ever since. Believe they've moved over the river to Queens, so it might take a bit of travelling. Not much though.

Also get to Rudy's midtown, it's right off of Times Square. It's across the road from Sam Ash (like a glorified Dawsons, better stock though), that's where you'll find your MTD's, F-Basses, pre-CBS Fenders, Pensas (that's where they're made in fact), a even probably a Ritter or two. Insanely great bass section, the best I've ever seen in fact. The staff in there are good too. Pricey though!

Edited by risingson

[quote name='Stox' timestamp='1329998485' post='1551010']
Be aware that Sadowsky have moved, no longer at the foot of Brooklyn Bridge...!
[/quote]

When did that happen?

That's a pity. Last time I spent an interesting day in Brooklyn, starting by walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, the rest of the morning playing Sadowskys and then the Subway museum in the afternoon. Was hoping to finish off with a trip to the Brooklyn Brewery, but it wasn't open for visitors that day.

Sadowsky are up in Queens now I think.

Having spent 6 months in NY a couple of years ago, it was enough to find out that there aren't any decent bass retailers there, and TBH there's much better things to do with your time while you are there. By comparison we are spoiled in London with the Gallery, Bass Merchant, Bass Direct and Bass Gear all near by. However, if you insist, then a visit to Rudy's and Sadowsky are what I would do.

[quote name='MartyBRebelMC' timestamp='1330006146' post='1551275']
absolutely - just wanted to know if there was a decent store there i can pop into without going too far out of my way and save a few quid on the UK price...
[/quote]

in that case, you probably aren't buying a guitar while you're over there? Rudy's and the other Sam Ash shops are all close together. Guitar Center might also be worth a look, thinking about it. The always had some nice stuff there too - non-US MTDs, Lakland Skylines a few Pedulla Buzz and Modulus Quantum basses, and sometimes some nice second hand stuff. Service in there isn't the best, but not too bad once you have someone's attention. Rudy's were fine with me playing an "expensive" bass in there as well, so it's worth a visit. Sadowsky may be more out of your way though, and probably not worth the trip unless you are seriously thinking about buying one at some point.

What I would massively recommend is, if you're there on a Monday night, head to the Blue Smoke/Jazz Standard to hear the Mingus Big Band. They have a residency there every Monday. And the food there is very tasty "southern" style cooking, and a big selection of very nice beer. http://www.bluesmoke.com

Edited by Gwilym

[quote name='Gwilym' timestamp='1330013309' post='1551438']

What I would massively recommend is, if you're there on a Monday night, head to the Blue Smoke/Jazz Standard to hear the Mingus Big Band. They have a residency there every Monday. And the food there is very tasty "southern" style cooking, and a big selection of very nice beer. [url="http://www.bluesmoke.com"]http://www.bluesmoke.com[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for that recommendation.... I'm already booked for dinner Monday night otherwise that would've been a great night out by the sounds of it.

• 6 years later...
On 23/02/2012 at 11:08, Gwilym said:

absolutely - just wanted to know if there was a decent store there i can pop into without going too far out of my way and save a few quid on the UK price...

in that case, you probably aren't buying a guitar while you're over there? Rudy's and the other Sam Ash shops are all close together. Guitar Center might also be worth a look, thinking about it. The always had some nice stuff there too - non-US MTDs, Lakland Skylines a few Pedulla Buzz and Modulus Quantum basses, and sometimes some nice second hand stuff. Service in there isn't the best, but not too bad once you have someone's attention. Rudy's were fine with me playing an "expensive" bass in there as well, so it's worth a visit. Sadowsky may be more out of your way though, and probably not worth the trip unless you are seriously thinking about buying one at some point.

What I would massively recommend is, if you're there on a Monday night, head to the Blue Smoke/Jazz Standard to hear the Mingus Big Band. They have a residency there every Monday. And the food there is very tasty "southern" style cooking, and a big selection of very nice beer. http://www.bluesmoke.com

So I was looking at this and just went to the Monday night Jazz Standard show. I'm not a jazz fan or afficianado but it was amazing. The drummer used to play with Dizzy Gillespie. The pianist was amazing. Etc etc. Really cool! 

On 23/02/2012 at 10:44, BigRedX said:

Regarding your prospective Tech21 purchase remember that the USA runs on 110V so you'll need a new PSU for it (or a step-down transformer) to use it in the UK.

the BDDI doesn't come with a power supply so you don't need to worry about 110 volt transformers.  - it has a standard 9 volt socket same as just about every other pedal .

Rudy's is fun for a look around, but it's a bit like looking for a bargain in Vintage & Rare......never going to happen (not that you're in the market).
I went into the Guitar Centre in Brooklyn, decent stock, but largely boring.

If interested in Fodera and/or Sadowsky then definitely email them first and explain your situation. When I was over, I had a workshop tour at Fodera (although I did have an order in with them at the time), they were more than happy to accommodate if it was on a particular day. Not sure how Sadowsky works, but I imagine you also increase your chances by pre-arranging it. Leave a good 1-2 hours to find each place via the Metro and walking, Fodera is a fair old trip down to mid-Brooklyn.

Si