Why become a member? ×

Guitars and stuff

Phil-osopher10

another vote for the tiny terror here, i've totally fallen for mine, i like to use it to prove that a decent amp is very important, i've had a few mates come round with cheap guitars that they think are toneless but plug into the tiny terror and they sing.

many years agowhen i was young i played guitar in a worship band (different to the one i'm in now) and had an aria superstrat into a solid state fender combo (sidekick 25r) i had real GAS for a les paul and was lining up a deal to get one, the wise worship leader pointed out that the weak link wasn't my guitar but my amp, i went out and bought a marshall valve combo (jcm622) instead and found my tone, that amp has seen me through to this day, only bought the terror as i wanted something smaller as well.

a good amp will make almost any guitar sound good, whilst a nasty amp will sound nasty no matter how good the guitar is. i've proved this to mates on a number of occasions with combinations of my amp, my custom guitar and their amp and guitar. the weak link is usually the cheap nasty amp.

the terror works well in church as well, i leant mine to the young guitarist yesterday for morning worship, sounded glorious with his squire affinity strat.

Matt

ahh sorry got carried away with the whole crunch thing, i'd say keep your eye out for a Marshall JTM30 (they did a couple of combo versions i think) the clean channel might suit you perfectly, it's the little brother of my JTM622, and they will do a lovely warm clean sound and as the are 2 channel you can set the other channel for a slightly boosted dirtier sound, they can be picked up for about 300 quid. as they have a master volume it's nice and easy to balance the 2 channels out and this makes them very useable (they have a very good balanced xlr out as well so are great for live use, i usually set the master volume to a sensible level on stage (on a stand angled up to my ears) and send the di to the desk for FOH.

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Get a Gretsch Corvette. They're stunning little guitars, and can be found on eBay, used, for about £220. Retail new is nearly £700. The guitar has bags of tone, and can turn it's hand to any style of music. The Bigsby is nice too.

For an amp, get a used laney VC30. Great amps for the money.

Cheers

Marlin

Edited by The Marlin