Why become a member? ×

Guitars and stuff

Phil-osopher10

I recently have had a little bit of an intrest in picking up a second instrument and did, tele rip off £20 I thought not bad but I am currently doing it up and thus it is out of action. What I would like to know is should I get a semi decent acoustic to learn or just go use an electric to learn? What sort of brands should I look out for?

Any recommendations as to where I can get tele electrics?

What about amps? I would love a mesa... haha

Depends on what kind of music you're planning to play. I know it sounds obvious, but that's because it is.

Also I would look to get a (much) better guitar before you even think of getting a Mesa Boogie. The money you spend on the amp is likely to be totally wasted with a cheap-as-chips guitar.

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1329940463' post='1550164']
Depends on what kind of music you're planning to play. I know it sounds obvious, but that's because it is.

Also I would look to get a (much) better guitar before you even think of getting a Mesa Boogie. The money you spend on the amp is likely to be totally wasted with a cheap-as-chips guitar.
[/quote]

Well maybe if you have a ridiculously cheap guitar this would be the case, but I would say a nice amp will make a hell of a lot of difference to any guitar sound as long as it is playable.

Edited by EdwardHimself

PRS? VERY expensive! If you're in it for the long run and want a guitar to last you a lifetime as you improve then fine if you can afford it. There's plenty of really good stuff out there though that won't cost a fortune. A budget of around £400 - 500 will get you something that will last you years. There's so many good instruments around at that sort of price that it's probably better to go and try a few to see how they feel. Japanese instruments are always good value for money compared to American stuff. As a beginner you won't have much idea so probably best to just sit with a few to see how you feel at this stage. If you want somewhere to start you could do worse than check out a few models from the (vast) Ibanez stable and branch out from there. Word of caution - don't get caught out by fancy artwork - you're paying for it remember (£400 on a guitar with a paint job is actually a £300 instrument underneath). Oh, and take your time - be prepared to walk out of the shop if you don't see anything you like.

Beyond that it's hard to know what to say.

Good luck though. Don't forget to enjoy it.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1329949861' post='1550397']
PRS? VERY expensive! If you're in it for the long run and want a guitar to last you a lifetime as you improve then fine if you can afford it. There's plenty of really good stuff out there though that won't cost a fortune. A budget of around £400 - 500 will get you something that will last you years. There's so many good instruments around at that sort of price that it's probably better to go and try a few to see how they feel. Japanese instruments are always good value for money compared to American stuff. As a beginner you won't have much idea so probably best to just sit with a few to see how you feel at this stage. If you want somewhere to start you could do worse than check out a few models from the (vast) Ibanez stable and branch out from there. Word of caution - don't get caught out by fancy artwork - you're paying for it remember (£400 on a guitar with a paint job is actually a £300 instrument underneath). Oh, and take your time - be prepared to walk out of the shop if you don't see anything you like.

Beyond that it's hard to know what to say.

Good luck though. Don't forget to enjoy it.
[/quote]

PRS SE. That is the "budget" range, typically £3-500.

The PRS SE guitars are very highly thought of. As are Godin. Similarly to their bass range the Squier classic player range are also getting a lot of love. Also, the Yamaha Pacifica 112 would probably get my vote for best beginners' guitar ever.

As regards "should I get an electric or an acoustic?", well do you want to play the acoustic guitar or the electric guitar? Thats the only way to decide!

Yup, the PRS SEs are good, ditto the yamahas. In fact there are huge numbers of excellent guitars around the £300 to £500 mark. Probably best to ask what sort of sound you like - if you're primarily a rocker then something with humbuckers may be better, but if you like twang and snap sometimes than a strat/Tele or something similar with single coils would be the way to go. Also look at guitars with P90 type pickups - big fat and powerful single coils that grit up wonderfully.

P90 tone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_qHU_6Ofc0
Strat snap & versatility http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e8O6H1YOds
See next post down for the best PRS tone ever.

Personally, my favourite electric is a strat. It'll play sparkly pop, fat jazz, country or hard rock. You can strum it like an acoustic or shred on it. FWIW I have had 3 Godins and still have one because it has a synth controller built in, but I still have my first strat (bought in '89) my second (bought in bits about 10 years ago) and also play my son's just for the sheer pleasure of it. I also have 1 acoustic, because 1 is quite enough.

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' timestamp='1329939702' post='1550152']
What about amps? I would love a mesa... haha
[/quote]

Wouldn't worry too much about what guitar if you use a Mesa amp, aside from microphonics, doesn't matter what you put into a Mesa, Mesa sound comes out. Mesa are ridiculously overpriced.

Also, don't obsess with getting a 100w amp, unless you are playing some sort of gig where you have to cover the bass part and somehow can't use more than a 2x12 cab. 50w is plenty, smaller is more practical. Lusting after valves is pretty fair, but if you get a second hand valve amp, budget for a service, they usually benefit from it. One of the various 5w heads/combos will probably do you for a long time.

If you are just messing around with 6 strings, don't worry about big-bucks for valve amps. There are plenty of Solid State combos out there going for little bucks. I've got a Peavy stereo chorus 400 twin. Clean and dirty channel, spring reverb, chorus and flanger, and plays clean and dirty at the same time or individually, all off a foot pedal. With 2x12 drivers, it's insanely loud. It goes all the way to 10, and I've never got much past 4.

The other day I saw a 200w model go for about £50

Look out for Carlsboro and Laney stuff, too. I played with a guitard who had a Carlsboro 112 combo and it was spot on

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1329950076' post='1550407']
PRS SE. That is the "budget" range, typically £3-500.
[/quote]
They are nice too. I had a SE double cut semi, it was very nice. It felt a bit 'dry' to me though, if you know what I mean.

There are amazing guitars out there for £300-£500. The OP needs to go and try LOADS of them and get what he really likes. Also depends on whether a trem is required too. You need to spend more if you want a good trem that stays in tune.

No issue whatever with going straight to electric. No way I would have felt like I needed to learn on an upright bass before going to an electric, right? Right.

I think I'll have to try a few guitars befoe I buy! I have been leant a Ibanez something and it's black, that is all I know, but it'll do the job for now till I really start getting into it/find a guitar I love! However I do remember going from my first basss to my first expensive bass, my playing improved dramatically as I didn't want to put it down! So I think the same would happen with a guitar.

I think that valve amps are nice, I know they are over priced to the max especially mesa's but the do sound mighty fine to me, I like have a number of channels etc. However I'd be looking at 30W and 50 max W, wouldn't need anything bigger! But again that can wait till I have improved.

As for the acoustic I think it is always nice to have one lying about!

I think GAS in 2012 is going to be huge! Haha

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' timestamp='1330129659' post='1553304']
... I'd be looking at 30W and 50 max W, wouldn't need anything bigger![/quote]

:) Nobody needs 50w.

Last week I lent a friend my 50w JMP Mk II (non-MV), and 2x12 cab with a couple of old Goodmans. His wife never complained before. But she did this time, even though he's playing in an outbuilding about 200 feet from his house.

These days, nobody needs 50w. For home, I'd be looking at 5w max.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

I think I'll have to try a few guitars befoe I buy! I have been leant a Ibanez something and it's black, that is all I know, but it'll do the job for now till I really start getting into it/find a guitar I love! However I do remember going from my first basss to my first expensive bass, my playing improved dramatically as I didn't want to put it down! So I think the same would happen with a guitar.
[/quote]

Problem with doing that is the best feeling guitar you'll try will be the one with the best setup, all the metalwork on a guitar is adjsutable, so a well set up cheapy can play better than a badly set up fancy. It isn't something you'll have an easy time telling early on, knowing if a setup will fix a not very nice feeling instrument. Think mainly on how the shape sits against your body an fiddle with strap lengths a bunch 'cause that is stuff you can't change once you have a guitar. budget for getting it set up by someone decent.

I think that valve amps are nice, I know they are over priced to the max especially mesa's but the do sound mighty fine to me, I like have a number of channels etc. However I'd be looking at 30W and 50 max W, wouldn't need anything bigger! But again that can wait till I have improved.
[/quote]

Only overpriced amps are overpriced, nothing to do with valve. I picked up a 5w Peavey combo for £60, that would still be doing well for me now if it wasn't stolen. My suggestion for a pertty long term valve amp you'll have trouble beating for not crazy money is the Peavey Classic 30, takes pedals well, does bluesy drive on its own, think the idea might have got round though.

[quote name='mrdreadful' timestamp='1330135736' post='1553337']
Bah! I have 160w at home... :D[/quote]

Oh don't get me wrong. Before I got old and sensible (?) I used to come home from work and decompress through a JCM800 full stack with a Twin for some top. Nothing finer than some trouserflapping volume to erase one's cares.

Sadly, my neighbours did not share my enthusiasm, nor did various pub audiences. TBH, teeny-weeny valve amps are a godsend and my back concurs.

That said, you can't go wrong with an old 30w Peavey Classic.

Edited by skankdelvar

For a home amp 1W is probably enough if you want cranked overdrive, though you won't get any bass thump from that. A 15W valve amp with decent speaker will be surprisingly loud*, and a 30W valve amp through 2X12 (like an AC30) overkill for modest gigs.

If I could be cheeky, I'd suggest for a classic clean to rock sound looking at a Marshall Class 5, or if you want something with Fendery tones and more gain for distortion then consider a Blackstar HT5. There's a few around used, and you'll get a much better deal that way.

Edit
* for comparison purposes valve:solid state, I have a Tech 21 Trademark 60 (SS) and both my Marshall 18watt clone and 15W Fender-ish 2 channel valve amps are significantly louder and more musical.

Edited by Ancient Mariner

+1 on the power thing. Like many others I went through the 'biggies for best' phase and had a succession of Marshalls and Mesas with big numbers. After a few years I noticed that I was never getting the master volume above 2 unless I used a powersoak of some sort.

My current amp of choice (Cornford Hurricane) has just 20 watts, and for home use I rarely get the master above 4 (and a lot less than that when you dial overdrive in) - I've never gigged it but have enough past experience to know that lots of power onstage is a mixed blessing at best. I can't speak for all makes and models, but generally speaking valve amps sound best when you get the power valves cooking a bit, and to do that you have to crank the master volume. The problem with a lot of power available is that you're never going to be able to tap into into it because it's just far too loud - at home you'll annoy the neighbours and terrorise small pets, and onstage you'll make life difficult for everybody else in the band (most onstage problems that folk complain of revolve around somebody in the band - usually a guitarist - being too loud).

This though will mean very little to a 19-year-old metal player with his Rectifier stack wanting to see his audience's ears bleed. I have a funny feeling that it's just something that many guitarists have to do (a rite of passage if you like) and hope their hearing is still intact by the time they get through it. Perhaps not quite as much as it used to be, but all the same...

I am a big fan of a really nice and clean sound with a little touch of reverb. which I can get from a mates SS amp, however when you are trying to get a wee bit more meat in the overdrive when songs require it just doesn't have it. It's like a really nasal sounding overdrive and sounds less full to my ears.

I have been playing bass for my church for 7 years or so, and they said to me about guitar as I have been noodling on them for a bit and sort of know some stuff with regards to fret positions (you'd think after all these years I would, haha) The fella says I can use his fender strat which is a nice guitar to play! But his amp, as versatile as it is just doesn't do it for me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXkXnHeSwRM

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1330165208' post='1553523']
A mate of mine just bought a Cornford. Supposed to be a fantastic sounding wee amp.
[/quote]

I love it, the the Harlequin, at a meaty 6 watts, is just as good. Tone is a bit dark though, and the BMT controls don't actually do all that much. I've heard that the bigger amps in the range have a slightly brighter sound and a bit more 'give' in the controls. (I'm comparing it with the Mesa Boogie Mk3 that preceded it, which was insanely loud with the EV speaker in it, and which would happily slice your head off if you were a bit too ambitious with the treble! :o )

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' timestamp='1330170331' post='1553643']
I am a big fan of a really nice and clean sound with a little touch of reverb. which I can get from a mates SS amp, however when you are trying to get a wee bit more meat in the overdrive when songs require it just doesn't have it. It's like a really nasal sounding overdrive and sounds less full to my ears.

I have been playing bass for my church for 7 years or so, and they said to me about guitar as I have been noodling on them for a bit and sort of know some stuff with regards to fret positions (you'd think after all these years I would, haha) The fella says I can use his fender strat which is a nice guitar to play! But his amp, as versatile as it is just doesn't do it for me!
[/quote]

I've always seen the amp as an integral part of your sound - especially for a guitarist. To see it as just the bit that makes your guitar louder is IMHO missing the point of getting a nice amp. The basic sound just has to be right with minimal adjustment. If it isn't, then no amount of tweaking will really solve the problem (although with practice you'll usually get something you can work with).

If you really must go for a valve amp then the VHT special 6 is a superb amp and only costs £129.99 new. Even at 6 watts it can be far too loud for home use but it can be switched to 3 watts which is a useful feature. Dawsons in Bangor stock the entire VHT range.

Someone else mentioned the Blackstar HT5. These are good too but the VHT is far better value and a bit louder on 6 watt setting. I prefer the VHT myself.

If you can live with SS for a while, the Roland Cube range gives surprisingly decent sounds.

Frank.