Why become a member? ×

MR P.C.

SteveO

Ha ha ha! Sarah! You might want to check your inbox!! Apologies, it has been very busy at Dood Towers that I was unable to make the announcement earlier in the week. However, I've just come on BassChat to let all know who the lucky winner is and saw this thread bumped!

I laughed out loud when I saw your post asking as you'd already been selected - indeed, congratulations Sarah Thomas, a super book will be on it's way to you soon!

Look out for more competitions on the BassChat Blog I will be posting in the future!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got interviewed about the book by a US radio station (Miami, Florida). It's going out on 15th March with an extended version on a blog but I will post more details when they are available. :)

I also got a bad review on Amazon (3 stars) <_< . I guess you've got to take the rough with the smooth :unsure:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1361306031' post='1984364']
I just got interviewed about the book by a US radio station (Miami, Florida). It's going out on 15th March with an extended version on a blog but I will post more details when they are available. :)

I also got a bad review on Amazon (3 stars) <_< . I guess you've got to take the rough with the smooth :unsure:
[/quote]

Don't worry about Amazon reviews, you get people who make it their mission to drag down average scores because they think 5 stars is too "unrealistic" or something. I'd also point out that opinions being "unnecessary" is also an opinion, and surely spelling errors are the fault of the publisher, don't they pay people to proof read? Very well done on getting the book published, I submitted a paper to a journal last year and that was a massive headache, I can only imagine how difficult getting a full length book to print is.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahhh superb! It was on my 'to do list' to chase again to make sure your prize was on it's way!

No problem, congratulations on winning! Hope you enjoy the book lots!

I will, of course be arranging more competitions in the near future, including the current comp' on the blog to win sets of Daddario Balanced Tension strings!

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1363195590' post='2009618']
And it's arrived at last! Hooray and wot ho for the hols, when I'll settle into a good long read. Thanks for writing the book Rob, and thanks to basschat (dood) for organising a prize.
[/quote]

Will probably help to have Spotify nearby, mate.

A young guy at work approached me today to say that he was buying a copy of my book for his Jazz-loving Dad for his birthday next month. I offered to sign it for him but felt a real buzz thinking that something I did could mean that much to people. Warm fuzzy.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1357238763' post='1919688']

Have you found the first typo yet? Usually occurs on the very first page you pick at random when you open your first copy for the first time!
[/quote]

Those aren't typos, those are Jazz spellings. ;)

Congrats Bilbo, and a big 'not worthy' here. :)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1357377227' post='1921708']
I just got told that Mr. P.C. Haas been nominated for the 2012 Association for Recorded Sound Collections (ARSC) Awards for Excellence in Historical Recorded Sound Research. If I had any idea what that meant, I would be thrilled!
[/quote]

Well I'll be damned. I won :):):)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1378447488' post='2200327']
Well I'll be damned. I won :):) :)
[/quote]

Not sure how I missed both bits of news about this but congratulations Bilbo - I hope you're rightly proud.

Writing such a book is a big achievement in itself but to have the final result judged by your peers and found to be the best of the bunch is a fantastic accolade! It almost makes me want to try listening to more jazz. ;)

Seriously though, joking aside, that is brilliant stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...