Why become a member? ×

MR P.C.

SteveO

So whilst idly browsing amazon this morning up pops [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-P-C-Chambers-Popular-History/dp/1845536363/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329905691&sr=1-1"]this book[/url] in my recommendations. Congratulations on getting it finished Mr B, at least I hope you have finished it. They say the release date is in August so I hope it's not a brutal publishing trick to make you work faster. ;)

Still puzzled how you managed to hack amazon to push your book 6 months before release though...

Anyway, its on pre order and I'm looking forward to having a read when it gets here. :)

Thanks for the tip off - first I have heard of it.

My contribution to the book was finished last October/November so, whatever happens now is out of my hands. It had reached the point where my only desire was to see the book published so people wouldn't think I was making it all up!! Nice to see the publishers are on the case and getting it 'out there' well in advance.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1329908972' post='1549351']
'Kind Of Blue' is my all-time favourite recording in [i]any [/i]genre.
[/quote]

Have you read this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kind-Blue-Making-Miles-Masterpiece/dp/1862075417/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329909728&sr=1-1

I have to say, its mildy harrowing to think that, some day soon, all those people who buy it will be thinking everything from 'Wow, What a fascinating book'.. to 'What a load of boring old tosh'. I'll be happy with something in between the two but, in short, once its out there, I guess I am fair game! A little scary.

This has just popped up in Amazon tongiht. It is the first time I have seen the cover of the book (the graphics are in line with other books in their jazz biography series e.g. Tom Perchard's book on Lee Morgan). I chose the picture so would welcome people's views on it. There were others I may have preferred but some of the Woolf or Claxton images were well out of our league. This image is from Paul Hoeffler and CTS Images who were really helpful in providing some useful stuff.

[center]
[/center]

Yes, I had noted that but thought it was a nice moody image, very much in the genre of 1950s/60s jazz photography. I had other clearer images that were just not 'front cover; material. There are 18 or so images in the book including a photo of PC age 14 and 17 and one of his wedding photos, one with the kids. And, of course, a few with Miles, Coltrane, Stitt, Pepper etc. There are 3 images I really like from Val Wilmer (who I really rate as an author and photographer so this is a real buzz for me). take in London in a bar. Very informal and human.

That's a great image, and I'd say the silhouettes serve to focus the eye on the man himself, as well as to make it a more honest shot, rather than something that's been posed.

And welcome to the exciting and paranoid world of checking your amazon sales rank every day and looking out for reader reviews posted there. :)

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am told that the thing is now being touted around various places and I have had an enquiry about an interview from a Miami radio station and a piece appeared in The New York City Jazz Record putting the book forward as part of their 'Holiday Gift Guide'!!

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Seems its happening at last![/font]

Congrats, Bilbo! Nice one. Hope you get some readers.

Reminds me I wrote a book on Renaissance music once. Before releasing it, I saw that a much better book existed, and sadly it was sold for peanuts despite it had everything going for it, including fantastic copper prints, printing and binding, and several vinyl records with examples coming with it.
No book release for me indeed. Hehehe.

Good luck!

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1356953225' post='1915439']
Get this!! It has been selected as one of the 'Books of the Year' in the December issue of the 'New York City Jazz Record'. It ain't the Booker Prize but, hell, I'll take it :lol:....

[url="http://www.nycjazzrecord.com/"]http://www.nycjazzrecord.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Congrats on getting this out there. And well done on the selection. Amazon wish list here we come.

A fine achievement. I'll be getting my order in too, seeing as how I'm now on the slippery slope to jazz. :D

Interesting thing about the cover is that, because it's not a frontal shot of the man's face (normally what attracts the eyes), it emphasises the bass. I like that.

Edited by fatback