Why become a member? ×

Dj's are back at Lakland - whaddya think?

Matt_UK

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1329836693' post='1548180']
+1 great bass design. I want the White/Maple 5er.
[/quote]

Same here, but a 4 banger. Been wanting an all white DJ4 for a while...

Wonder if they've fixed the QC issues (string to p'up alignment) that seemed a problem with the older ones?

Edited by Matt_UK

[quote name='Matt_UK' timestamp='1329849256' post='1548530']

Wonder if they've fixed the QC issues (string to p'up alignment) that seemed a problem with the older ones?
[/quote]

There was a huge thread on talkbass about a pretty recent Lakland bass, and then more came out of the woodwork, which meant what I found wasn't me being mental.

The bass pictures in question all had misaligned bridges/pups and some of the B/G strings were almost hanging off the board because of it.

Interesting... I like the look of them. Never played one though. From the general vibe on here, I'm willing to bet that I'd be into them. I note that headstock shape seems to crop up time and again on basses which are seen to be boutique/custom/expensive/high end, etc.

Edited by discreet

I have liked a few in shops but not enough to take the plunge...even when I was seriously looking

Personally, I think they could do with a good pre amp and go active but they do passive Fender J's quite
well. They play well straight off the stand..IME..which is not always a given, even on expensive basses
and before I would go into them any deeper, I would have to set it up for me.

As with a lot of basses off the shelf, I can no longer trust a marque to be consistant so I would be prepared
to visit a few to find the one that I wanted.
This is not so strange a thing to have to do anyway

Having said that..not in the market for one, nice try but no cigars

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1329818918' post='1547697']
Its a shame i never really got on with mine when i had it, i do now regret selling it. Not keen on the Skyline colours though, i still prefer the Black sparkle :)

[/quote]

I think I remember ogling this one in the for sale section for a while. Hubba.

[quote name='Matt_UK' timestamp='1329849256' post='1548530']

[/quote]

I had one delivered from Thomanns and never even opened it. Just sent it straight back as i had already brought a Duck Dunn off them, changed my mind, ordered the DJ and then decided to keep the DD. I really wish i had played it as it would have put me off the DJ5.

@Maverick. yes, it took a while to sell but i know its been sold on at least once more. It was made active but i think its now been put back to stock, as a Jazz.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1329852258' post='1548597']
There was a huge thread on talkbass about a pretty recent Lakland bass, and then more came out of the woodwork, which meant what I found wasn't me being mental.

The bass pictures in question all had misaligned bridges/pups and some of the B/G strings were almost hanging off the board because of it.
[/quote]

That was here... :ph34r:

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1329916087' post='1549589']
And who, i wonder started that thread :rolleyes:
:P
[/quote]

So the conclusion is Laklands are great if you don't mind the [u][b]possibility[/b][/u] of the strings or pickups not lining up :P

MM20, have you considered going into reviewing bass gear?

Edited by charic

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1329916629' post='1549610']
MM20, have you considered going into reviewing bass gear?
[/quote]

I'd love to. I'm far from being a pro-bassist, (although Im very happy with my playing) but I'm pretty sure I'm clued up on equipment.

I'd still love a Lakland bass as well, depsite moaning about the pup/bridge alignment. Wish I'd bought one before they changed ownership.