Why become a member? ×

Bass player wanted for New Model Army

GRAHAM SG1

Once in the late 90's I was doing some welding on a friends car and this fella (I think he was my friends step brother) brought me a cup of tea, got chatting about life n stuff, said he played guitar... Ok. Anyway, nice guy, said he was in town for a couple of nights, I invited him to a student party. When we got there there were loads of people with their jaws on the floor. friend:"bloody hell, that's justin Sullivan", me:"yeah, he said his name was Justin, do you know him?", friend: "he's in New model army", me:"really?, who're they then" :rolleyes:

Edit to add my best wishes for everyone waiting for a reply. :)

Edited by SteveO

Well, just had the email telling me that I am out of the running now :( Oh well, I was expecting it to be honest and happy that it seems I got down to the last 15 or so. The email was very nice saying that I am a fine bass player and played really well in the audition so I gave it my best shot :)

Good luck to anyone left on BC :)

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1333548919' post='1603359']
The email was very nice saying that I am a fine bass player and played really well in the audition...
[/quote]

I got one of those! :lol:
They must have been in two minds about you for a while, mate... they got back to me quickly. I'm quite sure you couldn't have done any more than you did. Well done, and commiserations. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1333549384' post='1603374']
Thanks everyone. Feel pretty deflated but oh well, onwards and upwards as they say :)[/quote]

I look at it like this... very good experience for our next auditions, no? :D
They should be a breeze by comparison!

Edit: Hope you're OK, mate. It took me a day or two to get over it! :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1333549486' post='1603379']
I look at it like this... very good experience for our next auditions, no? :D
They should be a breeze by comparison!

Edit: Hope you're OK, mate. It took me a day or two to get over it! :)
[/quote]

HAHA yeah true :)

unlucky dude , but hey , we were considered from 100 from all over the country and some from overseas, down to 25 for the live audition , it would of been close by all 25, as everyone who went, could obviously play the tracks and sing them .... one tip i have learnt is, take an active and a passive , my sterling was booming and i couldnt hear a great deal , nor could i hear the backing vocals well as they positioned us right on top of michaels drum kit lol , i'm sure you had the same problem , its something to be proud of linus so dont feel deflated at all , WE SURE KNOW FOR NEXT TIME :D and there will be others , now lets get a rockin

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1333549384' post='1603374']
Thanks everyone. Feel pretty deflated but oh well, onwards and upwards as they say :)
[/quote]

Bad luck, mate. They took over a week to get back to me, and when I got the email, I felt pretty deflated too. I think that the folk on this forum who auditioned would all be of a standard to do the job very well, but it's not just about bass playing, it's all about the X factor stuff too, the kind of things you cannot prepare for, outside of being yourself. The band will recognise the right person when they see them, and I should imagine, with the time they are taking, the right person will get the job, but it certainly wont hinge on bass playing.

The audition process they used is not a kind one, and can never show you in your entirety, but it's their show, and that's what they chose to do. I got used to this during my career as an actor, walking off the street, and someone saying 'right, do Hamlet!'. It's not easy, and it takes balls. But, did it, you did, and for that much respect.