Why become a member? ×

Quickest time from last note to driving home....

Bilbo

I did an gig once, in Kenbworth, and the stage backed onto a set of French doors. My car was parked right outside (less that six feet away from where I was playing) and, when we finished the gig, I was loaded up and sat in the driving seat in 4 minutes. I have got out of shows quick but, because parking is often an issue and its a distance to the car park, I don't think I have ever got out any quicker than that.

Can anyone beat it?

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1329731130' post='1546355']
I did an gig once, in Kenbworth, and the stage backed onto a set of French doors. My car was parked right outside (less that six feet away from where I was playing) and, when we finished the gig, I was loaded up and sat in the driving seat in 4 minutes. I have got out of shows quick but, because parking is often an issue and its a distance to the car park, I don't think I have ever got out any quicker than that.

Can anyone beat it?
[/quote]

Any quicker, and you`ll be in the car before you`ve stopped playing, and then forever be known as Dr Who!

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1329737583' post='1546447']
Can't give specific minutes, but I once played in a band where the drummer would insist on hughly dragged out endings involving several trips around the kit and I was packed up before he decided that was the end of the final song by crashing the cymbals one last time.
[/quote]
Just read this. Our drummer and guitarist have this thing going where they drag out an ending on the last song which is a bit tiring. I've started packing up when they do this as i find it embarrassing.

Literally 30 seconds. The longest part was trying to find the keyhole to the car in the dark.
I play tuba for a local mini-brass band, played the last note, waved goodbye and walked out into the carpark. I dont have a case for it and I dont carry any music to pack up with me either.

Although, if we're sticking to bass (again?!) then I would say a couple of hours. I'll either stay and watch the rest of the bands or I'll stay for a couple of shandies.

Truckstop.

Had a gig in the pub under my flat once. Finished playing, Bass in case and could have been home in about a minute, although it actually took several hours because the bar got in the way. :)

Longest trip home (not including the ones where we arranged to stay overnight because of the distance) was about 8 hours when our Singer got lost on the drive home from Newcastle to Middlesborough (A trip she must have made hundreds of times) To be fair it took only 4 hours to drive the 60 or so miles home, the other 4 were taken up by the rest of the band getting pissed before we started loading up, then no-one remembering how we managed to squeeze everything in the van on the trip up, which required several loadings and unloadings assisted by more beer :P

Remember doing a function at a hotel once (near Manchester I think) where we drove the van into the
venue directly behind the stage, then just pulled a curtain across the back to cover it up!
Very quick pack up ensued, although the gig had a kind of diesel smell all evening.........

Personal best was around 5 mins from cafe bar gig near my house after using house PA.
Washburn acoustic bass into gig bag and off.

We played a horrible gig in Oxford a few weeks ago. Lots of pretentious hipster types and wannabe Jack Johnsons. Once we'd finished playing we were out of the door in 1 minute, the guitarist's car was round the corner. Out of the house at 7:30 and back home by 9. Never again!

I'm sure this thread isn't meant to be read in this way, and I'm sure it doesn't apply to you guys, but I find something about overly sharp exits a little "unseemly".... it can come across as exhibiting a clocking on/off mentality that is perhaps not appropriate for all audiences and situations.

On a couple of gigs I've played, a musician has started to pack up before the show was over, only have to unpack again to do the encore; the audience watched them do this in silence while the rest of the band shuffled awkwardly about onstage. Grim.

As an audience member observed once: "terrible gig: the band couldn't wait to get out of there".

Jennifer

Edited by endorka

[quote name='endorka' timestamp='1329820577' post='1547730']
I'm sure this thread isn't meant to be read in this way, and I'm sure it doesn't apply to you guys, but I find something about overly sharp exits a little "unseemly".... it can come across as exhibiting a clocking on/off mentality that is perhaps not appropriate for all audiences and situations.

On a couple of gigs I've played, a musician has started to pack up before the show was over, only have to unpack again to do the encore; the audience watched them do this in silence while the rest of the band shuffled awkwardly about onstage. Grim.

As an audience member observed once: "terrible gig: the band couldn't wait to get out of there".

Jennifer
[/quote]

To be fair I usually stay to heckle the other bands.

I cant believe all of these amazing times. I think the best we have ever done is about 2 hours!! Gear, lights, p.a., drums, seems to take forever to pack up at the end of the night when 75% of the band are tiddly, and always ends up with us playing "Giant Tetris In The Dark" trying to work out how to fit the stuff in a van and a people carrier that are only just big enough to fit the stuff in when its daylight and the band are 100% not drunk......

We played a gig once and the headliner was being an arse. Tiny club but she seemed to think she was playing wembley or something. So we got told all our gear had to leave the venue within 5 min of getting off stage. Good job I lived 2 doors down the road!
We always stayed for the headliner though. Even this one. She later went on to have number one singles and play main stage at glasto....

17 mins from playing the last note to everyone driving away. This includes. Lights pa drums back line. Used to back a gospel choir and could easily pack up in 2 mins as only had bass amp and lead to sort.

Agree with the post where packing up too early is a little unseemly- especially on a wedding gig. Don't do it people this will piss loads of paying punters off.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1329829389' post='1547973']

Agree with the post where packing up too early is a little unseemly- especially on a wedding gig. Don't do it people this will piss loads of paying punters off.
[/quote]

Agree with this. We always walk off stage/playing area and giv eit 5mins or so before coming back and breaking the gear down. I've always thought it looks a bit rude doing it the moment the last note stops, certainly at functions etc. As for pubs, well i guess thats another world.

I still cant get over the amount of people who dont seem to help out with the rest of the gear, unless you're depping of course.