Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Baby Bass 1960s * SOLD *

Clarky

• 1 month later...

Ahem, having just bought an old German 19C flatback I would like to raise some money (my Alleva Coppolo sale didn't cover the cost of the incoming bass) and I really can't see me needing three double basses. So this is back up for sale at an uber-reasonable (not to say cheap) £2,000 collected from me. Please don't kick me!

Emlyn's old bass is a lovely thing, full of mojo and character. Very thump-y compared to my Kolstein (which sings and sustains ridiculously for a DB) and therefore will be in keeping with the rootsy character I am after (will be putting some Silver Slaps on it later this week) :)

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1334605939' post='1618507']
This is rare opportunity to own one of these Baby Basses in such good condition.

It still has the original aluminium bridge and pick up assembly where many examples have had broken bridges replaced with wood.

[attachment=105270:Ampeg.jpg]
[/quote]

many thanks Keith. I genuinely consider this to be, despite the £2k price tag, remarkable value given the amazing condition

Edited by Clarky

• 3 weeks later...

OK, shame-faced change again! I gigged my Kolstein on Saturday and the band loved it. It will be my go-to gigging DB from now on (with the 1880s 3/4 bass for bigger gigs and home practice). The Baby Bass will just not get used now and its a shame for such a beautiful instrument to just sit in its case.

So up FS again at £2000 collected from London (no post, sorry).

Some Latin style Baby Bass, showing what can be done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_LTa_uG4NE&feature=relmfu

And what you can wear whilst playing one :o :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmjuZ07LD18&feature=channel&list=UL

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1336426226' post='1645558']
Good luck with the sale though....unless you've changed your mind...again!! :P
[/quote]
The lady's not for changing, errr ...

Three DBs and a DB-emulating acoustic bass is too much for anyone! Also, TBH, the neck (which is very slim and Jazz bass-style) is less comfortable for my (previously broken) left hand than the big chunky neck on my other basses

Edited by Clarky

Intrigued by the playing style in all of these YouTube clips - everyone seems to play with a Jamerson forefinger and across the strings, like an electric bass.

Is this to do with the Latin music, or the Baby Bass?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1336498474' post='1646509']
Intrigued by the playing style in all of these YouTube clips - everyone seems to play with a Jamerson forefinger and across the strings, like an electric bass.

Is this to do with the Latin music, or the Baby Bass?
[/quote]
I think its a combination of the fact that Latin rhythms are often quite staccato and that the bass is amplified, so you don't have to dig in. There's no reason why it can't be played more like a traditional double bass (I did, except for faster passages) so that the notes ring more.

Here is a quite dreadful Latin solo by a gentleman who plays more with a 'jazz' style right hand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBfq4RwylJA

And another bass clip of someone playing slightly more traditionally :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWO75D1h--Y

Anyway Jack you know where mine is if you want to pop round and give it a proper try-out ;)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1336841821' post='1651849']
Workin' on it ... trying to find the ideal pre to run it through.

Believe it or not, right now it's plugged into a Sansamp BDDI. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I can believe it...I run my DB through a n MXR80 with very good results :)