Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Baby Bass 1960s * SOLD *

Clarky

I got this wonderful example off Mr_Bassman (Keith) for use in my former band due to it's cool retro vibe and feedback-proof playing (there were up to 14 of us on stage and it was very noisy). Although it still retains the slightly dark and relatively quiet sounding original pickup, Keith wedged a Revolution Solo piezo pickup in the bridge assembly which sounds much nicer to my ears. Barring a few very minor surface scrapes and some small abrasions on the back of the neck (which incidentally is very thin front to back, like a Jazz bass rather than a thick old double bass) it is in quite amazing condition. Comes with a cool old velvet lined hard case.

I think it's worth considerably more than the £2,000 Keith and I valued it at in our trade but in BC spirit will offer it on at the same price, collected from London.

I will miss this incredible looking instrument but the reality is - having just acquired a 19th C German bass and owning a beautiful Kolstein travel bass - I do not need three double basses.

One small caveat here - Baby Basses from the 60s are made of some kind of hard plastic (and filled with foam) which over time let's out some kind of harmless odour. It means they have a slightly odd smell, especially if kept locked away in the hard case for any length of time. Not an issue for me, especially if kept on a stand, but best mentioned!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_12_2011/post-2944-0-60259000-1322777416.jpg"]http://basschat.co.u...-1322777416.jpg[/url]

Edited by Clarky

Another pic, which seems to want to import sideways for which apologies <_<

[attachment=100348:P1040317.JPG]

Me playing the Baby Bass at Upton Blues in our acoustic set

[attachment=100349:Upton Blues Festival 2011 033.jpg]

Edited by Clarky

The problem here is Keith and I did a complex trade involving three double basses and cash, which was decided pretty much on the spur of the moment in a car park, and hence we neither have the exact figures put to each instrument on paper! I do think the Baby Bass could be worth as much as £2500 given the condition. However, I will stick to the £2000 figure on condition the instrument is collected in an entirely hassle-free manner from me.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1329746902' post='1546634']
These were very much de rigeur with touring Latin Bass players in the 60s so, for an authentic Latin vibe, this is the real deal. I am only 48 years old so its a bit early for me yet.
[/quote]
But I am also 48. Does this create a singularity and the end of the universe as we know it?

By my estimation, there are roughly 7, 000,000,000 people in the world. Assuming 3 score and ten, that means 100,000,000 of them are 48. So that chances of two people who have never met both being 48 is pretty high. The chances of them looking respectively like Rolf Harris and Boris Johnson is, however, considerably lower.

On further reflection I am withdrawing this. For one thing its got to be worth a damn site more than the price of a nameless Eastern European new-build carved double bass and - more importantly - its so cool and retro I think I will regret selling it.