Why become a member? ×

Another Promethean Clone?

Matt P

[quote name='hollywoodrox' timestamp='1348970460' post='1820294']
cool guitarjong, will look forward to reading your appraisal of the hb 500. cheers ...paul
[/quote]

Sorry to dissapoint. But I eventually decided against the Harley Benson, because of a number of reasons. Size of the kit, available storage space in the house (I already have a guitar amp, acoustic guitar amp and 7 guitars, plus other music related kit) and not knowing 100% what the credit card bill would be for ordering from Thomann.

Instead I've decided to buy from a UK based company. So I've just ordered a Gallien Krueger MB200 and matching GK 210MBE cab from DV247.com.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I recently bought a Redsub BT5110 and it made it's debut last night. It was used by my band and the support act in a pub-sized venue not mic-ed up. Wow, this baby coped admirably, no probs being heard, maybe needs another lightweight cab to do justice to the low B on my Spector, nothing but thumbs-ups from me otherwise :D . Bargain of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've had the Harley Benton 5110C for a couple of months now and I'm really impressed with it. It's been gigged with a couple of bands for pub shows - one with a four piece rock band and one with a six piece MOR band - and it's coped well without been driven too hard. I've also used it with an electro-acoustic 6 string and it sounds great. I also teach which means it's used for about 10 hours a week. Only issues I've had are a slightly strange smell when it gets warm and one occasion when the mute button stuck temporarily. It's light weight and compact size means you can carry the combo in one hand and guitar in the other. It's sound is powerful and punchy and the controls available give plenty of scope to shape your sound for any genre. The clincher is the price - if you want more power just add an extra cab and you've got a flexible rig that will be great for most amateur/semi-pro musicians.

• 2 months later...

Yup, I seem to recall mine being 300 quid. I would guess that supply is now limited, considering the original Ibanez Promethean has been discontinued and the Harley Benton is nowhere to be seen. Also, the projected delivery date of 10th April would further suggest this.

Having said that, it's still on the Beta Aivin website (the bods who make it for whoever) - [url="http://www.beta-aivin.com/English/Products/Bass/BT/English_205.html"]http://www.beta-aivin.com/English/Products/Bass/BT/English_205.html[/url]

Edited by neepheid

Hey Peep's!

I don't know if anyone is still following this thread but I think I may have found the manufacturer of the speaker that is fitted in the RedSub 5110 Bass Combo

http://www.elderaudio.com/products/Loudspeakers/LFSpeaker/2009/10LB075-L.html

I have tried to contact them but have had no response to my question: - Is the speaker in the RedSub 5110 Bass Combo one of yours? As the number on the above is very similar to the red one in the RedSub Bass Combo!

I would love to know if this is the same speaker as mine has a blown :(

The nearest speaker that I can find that has anywhere near the required power rating to replace it with is the Eminence Delta 10A or the more powerful Kappa Pro-10A

Any thoughts anyone??

Lostfollicles

Hey neepheid!

Sorry I didn't read your reply until after I sent my post Doh! I think you have adequately answered my question!

The RedSub looks very much the same beast as on the link you provided regarding the Promethian

http://www.beta-aivin.com/English/Products/Bass/BT/English_205.html

So I strongly suspect that the RedSub is just a revamped model with a red speaker cone and basically exactly the same!

Regards
Lostfollicles

Yeah, unless there's evidence to the contrary, I think it's safest to assume it's the very same speaker with a cone paint job. Incidentally, that paint job might even make the cone a little stiffer in addition to a little heavier, and I can imagine how that could change the sound somewhat.
That said, at this price point, I think it would be reasonable to expect every unit to soundslightly different due to high component tolerances.

Anyway, are you in fact saying that Gear4Music couldn't provide a replacement speaker?

Me, I'd put in a Beta Three or Ibanez speaker without thinking thrice.

best,
bert

[quote name='Lostfollicles' timestamp='1360244010' post='1967247']
Hey Peep's!

I don't know if anyone is still following this thread but I think I may have found the manufacturer of the speaker that is fitted in the RedSub 5110 Bass Combo

[url="http://www.elderaudio.com/products/Loudspeakers/LFSpeaker/2009/10LB075-L.html"]http://www.elderaudi.../10LB075-L.html[/url]

I have tried to contact them but have had no response to my question: - Is the speaker in the RedSub 5110 Bass Combo one of yours? As the number on the above is very similar to the red one in the RedSub Bass Combo!

I would love to know if this is the same speaker as mine has a blown :(

The nearest speaker that I can find that has anywhere near the required power rating to replace it with is the Eminence Delta 10A or the more powerful Kappa Pro-10A

Any thoughts anyone??

Lostfollicles
[/quote]

The answer to your question is almost certainly "Yes". Beta-Aivin and Elder Audio are so closely related, their address and telephone numbers are the same. For a quality alternative - look back to Post 131 on page 7.
Make certain the speaker frame dimensions and the bolt/screw holes are the same spacing and circumference.

Balcro

Edited by Balcro

• 1 month later...

I got quite lucky, I ordered the Redsub combo in February with a projected delivery of about a week, unfortunately an "administrative glitch" pushed it back by several months (April, haha) so they sent the head and a separate cab (Redsub 1 x 15) for the same price as the combo.
I haven't played too much through the Redsub cab so I can't comment specifically about how good it is, but I'm fairly pleased with the head.

• 2 weeks later...

Been using my Harley Benton for ages now (can't remember exactly when I got it, roughly a year ago). Its played 100's of gigs, varying sizes and hasn't let me down once. I'm going to grab one of their cabs and sees what happens.

Would be really interested if folks shared their EQ/knob-ey settings :)

Edited by TheButler

[quote name='TheButler' timestamp='1364466203' post='2026793']
Been using my Harley Benton for ages now (can't remember exactly when I got it, roughly a year ago). Its played 100's of gigs, varying sizes and hasn't let me down once. I'm going to grab one of their cabs and sees what happens.

[/quote]

Gain set as high as is appropriate for the bass (tweak the clip light then back off a little) - usually about 3 o' clock
Boosts off - High and Low both about 1 o' clock
EQ on - sad face slightly favouring low mids
Colour (when switched on) - about 8 o' clock for some footswitchable old school thump
Contour ON (very important - so much mids without it) - about 1 o' clock

I'll take a picture later, that'll be easier ;)

[quote name='TheButler' timestamp='1364466203' post='2026793']

[/quote]

Pic as promised:

• 2 weeks later...

re....redsub....harley benton.....
i read about reliability issues but at £230 from thomann took a punt on harley benton....
canny little amp 500watts,detachable head.....quite pokey....and VERY compact

not the best build quality tho...will let you know if it stays reliable!!!
ps....saw pics on net of hb and ibanez prometheon(inside amp)...looks identical(components etc)

[quote name='ebenezer' timestamp='1366716434' post='2056281']
ps....saw pics on net of hb and ibanez prometheon(inside amp)...looks identical(components etc)
[/quote]

Looks identical yes. However, IMS, as far as I've read up on this (mainly on BC I suppose), the Ibanez is the only one with a different preamp and the mini jacks on the front, and the Beta Aivin has an extra button or port on the back.

best,
bert

My Harley Benton head has started clipping way too early and was making some very odd noises over the weekend. Might have been weird phase issues with the keyboards next to me (damn he was loud) or just my old 15" cabs complaining at not having been out since December. But all very odd....
Will post again after this weekend, where i am using it with a more sensible band.
:)

• 3 weeks later...

Just gigged my RedSub head + cab tonight, happy as hell with it.
Had a blast watching the band before mine whose bassist has a Fender Aerodyne Jazz (which I so desperately want) and an Orange Tiny Terror + matching cab, it sounded so warm and punchy, kind of made me want to caress a pair of tits somewhat vigorously.

The RedSub definitely has a solid mid to high end punch to it, I had to whack the bass up a bit on the bass boost but the tone is 100% usable.
The 1 x 15 cab is fairly light, it's less than half the weight of my old Crate combo which I used to lug around (it was about 95lb). It's nice to be able to carry a cab with just one hand.

I'd obviously prefer the Orange stuff, but at a fraction of the price and weight I'm certainly not complaining.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1366729342' post='2056513']
My Harley Benton head has started clipping way too early and was making some very odd noises over the weekend. Might have been weird phase issues with the keyboards next to me (damn he was loud) or just my old 15" cabs complaining at not having been out since December. But all very odd....
Will post again after this weekend, where i am using it with a more sensible band.
:)
[/quote]

I did use it with a more sensible band, and it was fine, plenty loud through my 2 15" cabs, and no clipping or weird noises. Must have been the twattingly loud keyboard monitor it was next to.