Why become a member? ×

Another Promethean Clone?

Matt P

I rehearsed with my HB combo yesterday. The combo sounds ok and seemed loud enough to be used live in smaller gigs although didnt seem as loud as the promethean. When used with my 212 cab it was a lot quieter than the Promethean had been. The Ibanez was blasting all in front of it at half gain and a 1/4 master and had a good cut through sound. The HB was way up close to 3/4-full on both and didn't seem to have the headroom of the former. It also didnt sound as good even though we were using the same room as when I gave the Ibby a run out. Might be I need to fiddle with the eq colour and contour but I just couldn't get it right? Anyway I've got 3 gigs this weekend so will give it a fair runout, if it doesn't shape up it can ship out! My search continues but so far head wise the ibanez has been the best...

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1337184685' post='1656862']
I rehearsed with my HB combo yesterday. The combo sounds ok and seemed loud enough to be used live in smaller gigs although didnt seem as loud as the promethean. When used with my 212 cab it was a lot quieter than the Promethean had been. The Ibanez was blasting all in front of it at half gain and a 1/4 master and had a good cut through sound. The HB was way up close to 3/4-full on both and didn't seem to have the headroom of the former. It also didnt sound as good even though we were using the same room as when I gave the Ibby a run out. Might be I need to fiddle with the eq colour and contour but I just couldn't get it right? Anyway I've got 3 gigs this weekend so will give it a fair runout, if it doesn't shape up it can ship out! My search continues but so far head wise the ibanez has been the best...
[/quote]

Sorry it's not worked out mate.
So was the Promethean better than the LittleMark and the MiBass?...

Eude

I've tried to follow this as best I can but am I right in saying the RS/HB/Ibanez amplifier heads are physically [i]the same? [/i]Could the difference in sound be wholly down to, perhaps the dimensions of the cabinet, that aren't as optimally designed? Did we decide if the drivers are the same too? Just trying to decide whether these subtle, and at first seemingly insignificant details, could make the Ibanez an all-round better buy, in the long term.

Edited by TheButler

[quote name='TheButler' timestamp='1337202290' post='1657189']
I've tried to follow this as best I can but am I right in saying the RS/HB/Ibanez amplifier heads are physically [i]the same? [/i]Could the difference in sound be wholly down to, perhaps the dimensions of the cabinet, that aren't as optimally designed? Did we decide if the drivers are the same too? Just trying to decide whether these subtle, and at first seemingly insignificant details, could make the Ibanez an all-round better buy, in the long term.
[/quote]

From my experience, the sturdier cab on the RS helps produce a better sound for this form factor. I have no personal experience of this but the differences in the Promethean's amp should (in theory) make it a nicer sounding head when used with a bigger or higher quality cab.

The drivers are indeed the same.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1337203113' post='1657210']
The 'methean had a pre-amp based on that of the Markbass Little Mark.
[/quote]

Which Beta Alvin developed, but didn't install into the other amps for fear of Ibanez maybe getting a bit annoyed?

[quote name='TheButler' timestamp='1337203527' post='1657217']
Which Beta Alvin developed, but didn't install into the other amps for fear of Ibanez maybe getting a bit annoyed?
[/quote]

That has been suggested yes... but it's equally likely that it wasn't included in the package to keep the price down.... who knows.

I'm not sure if the RS/HB pre is actually a different design, just that it's got a few extra controls on it. The specs for the Promethean and HB are the same for the controls they have in common. I'm not sure how the extra controls might affect reliability, but I've never heard that extra knobs and switches can make anything [i]more[/i] reliable.

Looking at the gut shots, the Promethean seems to have the same ferrite ring and Neutrik as shown on the Beta Aivin blog, both of which are missing on the RS and HB. Everything else appears to be the same (just going off the photos) but who knows what the quality or tolerances of all the components may be?

I think it'd cost more to produce the amps with different stuff? Like, the cost of setting up another production line as it were, to utilise components that don't seem to be significantly cost saving? Fair enough regards a branded neutrik. It seems weird that they'd install a different pre-amp to cut costs, when in component terms there would surely only be pennies in it - pennies that they don't mind spending on extra pots? I dunno, all naive conjecture.

Edited by TheButler

[quote name='TheButler' timestamp='1337204232' post='1657232']
I think it'd cost more to produce the amps with different stuff? Like, the cost of setting up another production line as it were, to utilise components that don't seem to be significantly cost saving? Fair enough regards a branded neutrik. It seems weird that they'd install a different pre-amp to cut costs, when in component terms there would surely only be pennies in it - pennies that they don't mind spending on extra pots? I dunno, all naive conjecture.
[/quote]
Yeah, I think you're probably right.

I was just comparing the photos and noticed the 'methean seems to have four rods to support the casing a bit, another thing missing from the HB. There certainly seems to be a bit more thought that's gone into the Ibanez, but how far that extends and exactly how much difference it'll make is still anyone's guess.

Part numbers on the transformers are the same though. B)

Edited by Musky

We know the boxes are different. So, the combos sound different. I'd love to fire each head through the same cab though, or at least an HB or RS against the Ibby. Also, is there anywhere you can just buy these as single Beta Alvin units, without the added mark-up of the re-brand?

[quote name='TheButler' timestamp='1337205519' post='1657251']
We know the boxes are different. So, the combos sound different. I'd love to fire each head through the same cab though, or at least an HB or RS against the Ibby. Also, is there anywhere you can just buy these as single Beta Alvin units, without the added mark-up of the re-brand?
[/quote]

You could buy them direct from Beta Alvin if you like but I think Min order is around 100 pcs

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1337206753' post='1657274']

I'd buy one if the price was right (even if I couldn't send it Bach to thomann;-)
[/quote] back!
[quote name='eude' timestamp='1337192532' post='1657011']

Sorry it's not worked out mate.
So was the Promethean better than the LittleMark and the MiBass?...

Eude
[/quote]r
Ill see how this weekend pans out but So far the promethean knocked spots off the mibass, the little mark sounded very good but as it was 250w I wanted the extra headroom of the 500w head and the promethean sounded as good as the LM and had the added flexibility of the included cab. Cash no object I'd prob go LM 3 plus BF midget but it's a step too far at the moment. I'll find that right mix soon I'm sure!

As you can see, the power assembly is held in place by plastic tabs. There is some play in mine, but I'm not bothered about it, I'm confident that the assembly will stay in place. If it bugs me then I'll get the glue gun out.