Why become a member? ×

Another Promethean Clone?

Matt P

I've just received my Roqsolid cover for my RedSub - as you would expect it fits great and of course I took the red seams :)

[url="http://amplifiercoversonline.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107_312&products_id=2700"]http://amplifiercoversonline.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107_312&products_id=2700[/url]

It will obviously fit the Harley Benton too, as they're identical.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1337070934' post='1654760']
I've just received my Roqsolid cover for my RedSub - as you would expect it fits great and of course I took the red seams :)[/quote]

Matt I think you and your RedSub need to get a room, I'm pretty sure Jayne will be getting jealous of your latest bit of fluff. :D

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1337071741' post='1654775']
Matt I think you and your RedSub need to get a room, I'm pretty sure Jayne will be getting jealous of your latest bit of fluff. :D
[/quote]

Not at all - for my sins I accompanied my good lady to a Zumba class last night, and participated. So I think being a sweaty, uncoordinated mess for an hour paid for the cover ;)

Yes, I was the only bloke there and no, it wasn't like the "Call on Me" video, although I did go home afterwards with the best lass in the place, so maybe it was a little like it.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1337069962' post='1654738']

Nice one Bri, glad you've managed to find the right head :)

Eude
[/quote]
Cheers Ewan
If it sounds as good through my LB212 as the ibanez did then its a winner, and given some of the rough houses we play in a better bet as if the head gets damaged it can be replaced with the HB head which @£150 looks outstanding value.
There is no doubt the promethean is a nicer finished off bit of kit though and the head is easier to remove so I wouldn't rush out to trade yours;-)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1337070934' post='1654760']
I've just received my Roqsolid cover for my RedSub - as you would expect it fits great and of course I took the red seams :)

[url="http://amplifiercoversonline.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107_312&products_id=2700"]http://amplifiercoversonline.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107_312&products_id=2700[/url]

It will obviously fit the Harley Benton too, as they're identical.
[/quote]
£25 nice........

Fresh from picking up my Harley Benton BA500H head at the local post office, gave it a road test this evening during rehearsal.
Really liked the sound of this amp, ran it into rather nice EA 12" cab (borrowed from Bassbod), quite easy to dial in a reasonably convincing old school tone, but still quite a versatile EQ. With the master volume 3/4 up, the amp kept up with drums & guitar.

However, after about 90 minutes, the head started intermittently cutting out & switching on. Glad I tested this before gig at weekend!
Guess it's going back to Thomann now. :(

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1337120674' post='1655971']
Crazy low price. How reliable is the HB combo?
[/quote]

Time will tell. I've done 4 gigs so far with the RedSub amp (3 with just the head (one gig it was also used by two other bands), 1 in the combo) and numerous 2-3 hour rehearsals with the combo. I've used it to amplify my laptop. I've got no fear with the extended warranty and even that doesn't work out then a replacement head is only £150. The cabinet is solid and you'd probably break a toe if you kicked it.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='nick' timestamp='1337121847' post='1655997']
Fresh from picking up my Harley Benton BA500H head ...
However, after about 90 minutes, the head started intermittently cutting out & switching on. Glad I tested this before gig at weekend!
[/quote]

Whoops, I'm thinking of buying on of these as sort of back-up/practice and not found too much in the way of reviews. Thanks for this, let us know how you get on. Now they're back in stock I was looking forward to what appears to be a bargain.

Guess it's going back to Thomann now. :([/quote]

Ampeg PFs and now this! :( It only takes one negative post to make you think twice about gear... you don't think it's something to do with Thomann, do you..? ;) :huh:

[/quote]

Were you driving it very hard at this point?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1337158558' post='1656246']
[/quote]

Regardless dude, I've never had a bit of gear crap out on me ever and I've been through phases through the years of really overloading things.
If a piece of kit has it's limits, then those should be factored into the gain stage, clipping protection, or whatever it takes to make sure it doesn't let you down...

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1337159433' post='1656269']
Regardless dude, I've never had a bit of gear crap out on me ever and I've been through phases through the years of really overloading things.
If a piece of kit has it's limits, then those should be factored into the gain stage, clipping protection, or whatever it takes to make sure it doesn't let you down...

Eude
[/quote]

The reason I ask is that the Promethean - quite reasonably - has a protection circuit which temporarily shuts the power down if it's being pushed too hard.

I've triggered it a couple of times, but only while mucking around in the house to see how hard I could drive it - it was at volumes which aren't of any practical use.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1337159600' post='1656273']
The reason I ask is that the Promethean - quite reasonably - has a protection circuit which temporarily shuts the power down if it's being pushed too hard.

I've triggered it a couple of times, but only while mucking around in the house to see how hard I could drive it - it was at volumes which aren't of any practical use.
[/quote]

Ah right, makes sense dude.

Eude

Was this the context of it shutting down (certainly sounds like a protection circuit, but there's no point it protecting you from playing!)?

My painfully expensive GB makes a clicking noise, but only when being very heavily overdriven in a certain way, not a usable setting and so not a problem for actual playing.

I've just returned my HB combo to Thomann & am now waiting for a refund - less the cost of returning it. At first it seemed to be the answer to my prayers - small, light, loud - plus the fact that an extension speaker could be added for gigging & the head could be removed to use as a stand alone head to drive two bigger cabs seemed like eutopia - where ever that is?

However, I noticed that when the mains lead was attached - the socket assemply didn't seem too sturdy, which is the main reason for returning it as I thought that if using it to gig with - regular plugging & unplugging would only make the unsteadiness of it worse!

To be honest - for the money it is outstanding & the EQ section is quite good - however I did have to have 'everything' switched on & apply the dreaded 'smiley' to the graphic to get a sound I really liked, as the flat sound was very, very 'middley' - probably in the main due to the limited space to move air??

If you are thinking of buying one - then please don't let this put you off, as at this price point - I'm sure nothing comes close to giving you as much bang for your bucks + if it's not to your liking - it only costs arond £15 to return it to Thomman!!

ps - I had none of the cutting out problems with mine by the way, but then again, it's so loud I didn't need the volume up very high for it to be heard easily.

Edited by dodgnofski

[quote name='dodgnofski' timestamp='1337165191' post='1656381']
I've just returned my HB combo to Thomann & am now waiting for a refund - less the cost of returning it. At first it seemed to be the answer to my prayers - small, light, loud - plus the fact that an extension speaker could be added for gigging & the head could be removed to use as a stand alone head to drive two bigger cabs seemed like eutopia - where ever that is?

However, I noticed that when the mains lead was attached - the socket assemply didn't seem too sturdy, which is the main reason for returning it as I thought that if using it to gig with - regular plugging & unplugging would only make the unsteadiness of it worse!

To be honest - for the money it is outstanding & the EQ section is quite good - however I did have to have 'everything' switched on & apply the dreaded 'smiley' to the graphic to get a sound I really liked, as the flat sound was very, very 'middley' - probably in the main due to the limited space to move air??

If you are thinking of buying one - then please don't let this put you off, as at this price point - I'm sure nothing comes close to giving you as much bang for your bucks + if it's not to your liking - it only costs arond £15 to return it to Thomman!!

ps - I had none of the cutting out problems with mine by the way, but then again, it's so loud I didn't need the volume up very high for it to be heard easily.
[/quote]

A couple of thoughts on the above from a Promethean POV.

I thought the same about the mains lead. The plug does go in, and it works, albeit wobbly... and if it's knocked, it goes off.

But then I realised it's just a good, old-fashioned tight fit. You need to give the plug a good old push, which clicks it in another 5mm or so. if you do that, it locks rock-solid.

The boxiness - if I'm plunking around on the house, a little dip on the 800Hz slider smooths it out. But, if I'm playing with other people, I flatten it again because there's quite a bit of clarity there when there's a lot going on.

Again, this is my own experience with the Promethean. I don't know whether any of this is relevant to your situation.

If I may pipe up here - the power socket/fuse/switch is one entire unit which happens not to be screwed in but probably held in with (hopefully beefy) clips. I will check tonight. So there will be some movement of the entire unit in its mounting hole, but in normal operation it will be fine (and would not have passed relevant safety checks if it wasn't). Probably a cost saving move. Would it have been better to screw mount it? Maybe, but it's not "loose" in the sense that it's likely to break free from the amp, chase me round the stage and electrocute me and I'm not bothered about it.

I'll crack the case open again tonight and take some closeup pics of the area. Then you can make up your own minds about it.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337150011' post='1656107']
Whoops, I'm thinking of buying on of these as sort of back-up/practice and not found too much in the way of reviews. Thanks for this, let us know how you get on. Now they're back in stock I was looking forward to what appears to be a bargain.
[/quote]

I'm going to send it back, but have asked them to hold one as replacement for me. TBH, apart from this issue, think this is a cracking amp, so want to give another one a go. They shift tons of these amps, so it's not unrealistic to expect one or two having a problem IMHO.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1337158558' post='1656246']
[/quote]

No, just under 3/4 way up on master volume, gain less than half.
EQ flat, Tokai Harpuncher with P-Retro. Pretty restrained playing...

Edited by nick

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1337159600' post='1656273']

[/quote]

That's a common and very usefull feature in any amp, not a bad thing. It keeps us from spending a lot of money on repairs...

If a amp is cutting out then we should start thinking about replacing/adding cabs or upgrading to a more powerfull head. I remember having a couple of cut outs from my old 300W Trace Elliot... after learning how to set the gain correctly and EQ properly never had that problem again!

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1337174739' post='1656627']
That's a common and very usefull feature in any amp, not a bad thing. It keeps us from spending a lot of money on repairs...
[/quote]
Not particularly useful if it cuts out during a gig IMHO. :)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1337174739' post='1656627']
If a amp is cutting out then we should start thinking about replacing/adding cabs or upgrading to a more powerfull head. I remember having a couple of cut outs from my old 300W Trace Elliot... after learning how to set the gain correctly and EQ properly never had that problem again!
[/quote]
All good valid points, but don't think relevant with regards to my issues with the BA500H TBH.

Cheers
Nick