Why become a member? ×

Another Promethean Clone?

Matt P

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1336385548' post='1644669']
My money is on the cabs being identical.
[/quote]
Have you seen them? The Promethean has a lighter more refined construction whereas the RS is built like a tank.

edit : Haha beaten to it. Typing fast on my phone is not my forte.
Where did you get the pic Matt?

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1336386796' post='1644699']
Have you seen them? The Promethean has a lighter more refined construction whereas the RS is built like a tank.

edit : Haha beaten to it. Typing fast on my phone is not my forte.
Where did you get the pic Matt?
[/quote]

I saw it during my research into whether or not to buy the RS/HB amp. Took a minute or two of googling to find it again, but I knew I had seen a side by side pic before.

According to a user here who has a Promethean, this is the driver employed:
http://www.elderaudio.com/products/Loudspeakers/LowMiddle/2009/10LB075-U.html

Looks a decent enough PA driver, with a cast aluminium basket and hefty magnet, though no response curves are shown as far as I can see. He wanted to upgrade to one with a longer linear excursion and lighter (ie neo). Though it's worth noting that if this driver was made by Faital, 18Sound or several other manufacturers they'd claim an xmax of about 4mm.

I have had a guddle about inside my RedSub to answer some questions.

1. Speaker

10LB075-8-R - I can't find an exact match for this code on the site linked, but the start of the code is compellingly similar to the one which it is suggested is used in the Promethean.

2. Build materials

It's not chipboard, it's not MDF, it's ply. At least the front and the porting is. Sorry, but I'm not taking any further to bits than this, I've got a 5 year warranty to think of ;)

Prometheans are Beyma loaded! this one for the combo:
[url="http://profesional.beyma.com/pdf/10MI100E.pdf"]http://profesional.beyma.com/pdf/10MI100E.pdf[/url]
and this for the extension cabinet:
[url="http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/10LW30N.pdf"]http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/10LW30N.pdf[/url]

I hope i haven't given you the wrong link for the combo's driver but i'm sure about the ext cab's driver. I had both combo and extension cab and took out both drivers and searched for it's origin landing on Beyma's site!

Cheers

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1336407031' post='1645151']
braced ply? looks quite thick as well. also looks like it might be the same speaker-starting to look like the best bargain around. thanks for going to the trouble of taking the internal shots neep
[/quote]

No worries, I just wanted to get to the truth.

I forgot I'd be able to see in the side vents - yup, double thickness of ply for the sides.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1336408454' post='1645188']
Apologies if it's buried in the thread somewhere, but does anyone have an accurate weight for the HB/Redsub combos? I'm not sure if Thomann are quoting the boxed up shipping weight.
[/quote]

It won't be that accurate but I'll get mine on the bathroom scales in a bit, the head's out of the cab just now (used it with my 4x10 at a gig last night) but once I have it all back together again I'll let you know what I find out.

Best bargain, or has Ibanez been revealed? Some may think it worth the extra for that name on the transfer.

Check out the Harley Benton speaker cabs and see if you think they make them for Hartke too. (eg compare their 2x10 with the Hartke 2.5XL - clearly different drivers but not much else).

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1336399865' post='1644991']
Prometheans are Beyma loaded! this one for the combo:
[url="http://profesional.beyma.com/pdf/10MI100E.pdf"]http://profesional.b...df/10MI100E.pdf[/url]
and this for the extension cabinet:
[url="http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/10LW30N.pdf"]http://profesional.b...pdf/10LW30N.pdf[/url]

I hope i haven't given you the wrong link for the combo's driver but i'm sure about the ext cab's driver. I had both combo and extension cab and took out both drivers and searched for it's origin landing on Beyma's site!

Cheers
[/quote]

Hmm, I'd be rather surprised if that is the driver used in the combo since that's really a dedicated midrange driver. On the other hand, it IS a pretty small box. Perhaps the user who I got the info from was mistaken or, which I guess is just as likely, the spec has changed. That neo Beyma is about as powerful a 10" bass driver as you can get btw - if that's what's in the extension cabs then it's better than anything else I've seen on the market!

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1336480765' post='1646144']
Hmm, I'd be rather surprised if that is the driver used in the combo since that's really a dedicated midrange driver. On the other hand, it IS a pretty small box. Perhaps the user who I got the info from was mistaken or, which I guess is just as likely, the spec has changed. That neo Beyma is about as powerful a 10" bass driver as you can get btw - if that's what's in the extension cabs then it's better than anything else I've seen on the market!
[/quote]
probably why theyre impossible to get hold of i expect

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1336480765' post='1646144']
[/quote]

The one in the extension cab i'm pretty sure it's the one in the link (the frame is exactly the same to the last detail), not sure about the one in the combo. The ext cab sounded great and loud but not much quality bass being pumped. My current EBS Neo 110 is louder, clearer and with more usable bottom end (of course it's more expensive too...).
My guess is that ibanez is using a "cheaper" custom version of the Beyma drivers i've linked.
I'll see if i still have some pics of the drivers stored somewere to show you.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1336408454' post='1645188']
Apologies if it's buried in the thread somewhere, but does anyone have an accurate weight for the HB/Redsub combos? I'm not sure if Thomann are quoting the boxed up shipping weight.
[/quote]

Bathroom scales so not the most accurate but the combo is approx 14kg (30.9lb) of which the head takes up 3kg (6.6lb).

after looking for a smaller amp for my db and eb for ages i have gone for the harley benton mentioned . only just come today so i have only played in the house with it. my first thoughts are its a little beauty, quite loud and i havent had any feedback from my db yet, unlike my trace . i will be gigging this amp in a few weeks time so this will be the test for it. i will write up more then

[attachment=107984:20120514_110850.jpg][attachment=107985:20120514_110843.jpg][attachment=107986:20120514_105819.jpg][attachment=107987:20120514_105811.jpg]

This is the inside of the Harley Benton. Its identical to the RedSub and 99% of the Promethean
the head comes from the same production line as The Ibanez and the speaker is the same.
The Promethean is a nicer finished package with an easier to remove head but its very hard to justify the extra £270

at £229 witha 3 yr warranty I dont think you can go too far wrong with the HB
(although ive not heard it through bigger cabs yet but others give it good reviews)

Thomman have been excellent with me, real quick delivery and no quibble returns

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1337037658' post='1654571']
[attachment=107984:20120514_110850.jpg][attachment=107985:20120514_110843.jpg][attachment=107986:20120514_105819.jpg][attachment=107987:20120514_105811.jpg]

This is the inside of the Harley Benton. Its identical to the RedSub and 99% of the Promethean
the head comes from the same production line as The Ibanez and the speaker is the same.
The Promethean is a nicer finished package with an easier to remove head but its very hard to justify the extra £270

(although ive not heard it through bigger cabs yet but others give it good reviews)

[/quote]

Nice one Bri, glad you've managed to find the right head :)

Eude

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1337037658' post='1654571']

[/quote]

In that case - Harley Benton: Bargain of the decade, surely?