Why become a member? ×

Another Promethean Clone?

Matt P

[quote name='pendingrequests' timestamp='1335272433' post='1628378']
Used the Promethan at a wedding for a bassist I was covering.

All I can say is wow!

The little thing sounded fantastic, it was DI'd (which is abit of a hassle as its tucked underneath the amp) and I got some feed through a monitor, so it was perfectly fine.

For small-medium pub gigs, it would be fine. If it was DI'd, you would be laughing.
[/quote]

This is exactly how I use mine - DI'd to the PA, and use the amp as a very good backline. Less noise on stage means you can hearing more of what's going on ;)

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1335268468' post='1628282']
Crap, just pulled the trigger on the HB one from Thomann, money I don't have....
Still I can flog my GK to fund it if it's good enough, if not it can go back to Thomann.
Phew, justified that spend.
:)
[/quote]

Is that the smaller one of the two? Don't forget to let us know how you get on with it

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1335544204' post='1632995'] Blast, the 500w head isn`t going to be in stock at Thomann til MAY now.....grrrr..... [/quote]

Unfortunately I've not waited. I ordered one and have cancelled it (I hadn't noticed the coloured coins thing) and bought something unjustifiably way more expensive from Bass Direct.

I'm really interested in how these amps perform

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1335544204' post='1632995']
Blast, the 500w head isn`t going to be in stock at Thomann til MAY now.....grrrr.....
[/quote]

If you can't wait - http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/RedSub-BT500H-500W-Bass-Head/B1D

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1335605438' post='1633578']
If you can't wait - [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/RedSub-BT500H-500W-Bass-Head/B1D"]http://www.gear4musi...W-Bass-Head/B1D[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks, have seen these,but the extra cost is making me be patient ........for now!!! Though thinking it through,might be worth the extra few quid to deal with a British retailer, not that Thomann aren`t good,apparently,but just the whole distance thing. And supporting a Brit retailer.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1335613884' post='1633711']
The Promethean has a pre/post switch on the back, but I don't know about the clones.
[/quote]

Yes, you do know about the clones, because I've already told you :)

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The DI is very basic, only a ground lift switch is provided (no pre/post EQ)[/quote][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][quote][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I can confirm that the DI is post EQ[/quote][/font][/color]

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1335626689' post='1633931']
Which is the clone, Promethean, HB or Redsub?

If these really are the same is Ibanez taking the mick? We might assume there are differences beyond the red face (heh!) but there probably isn't. How can we find out?
[/quote]

I don't think Ibanez is 'taking the mick' given that the Promethean is a hell of a good deal as it is.

If these really are the same is Ibanez taking the mick? We might assume there are differences beyond the red face (heh!) but there probably isn't. How can we find out?
[/quote]

The Prometheans came out first, probably by a good 6 months or so. Then, I imagine, the factory who made them for Ibanez pimped out their facility to other amp companies, so to all intents and purposes, they're the same amp in different boxes. What with them all being built in the same place, they should be identical, and dare I say it, with the Prometheans being the first off the assembly line, you'll probably find the latter ones a bit more reliable, as they'll have ironed out all the kinks on Ibanez's watch...

I should add though, that the fit and finish on the Promethean looks better than on the Red Sub and HB versions, plus, like I've mentioned before, some thought has gone into the design on their combo too, it's not "just a box" unlike the others... :yarr:

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1335617428' post='1633760']
Yes, you do know about the clones, because I've already told you :)
[/quote]

Christ, you're right! My short-term memory must be shot! This is a worrying development... hope it's not Alzheimer's creeping up on me... :blink:

And another thing, I reckon my short-term memory must be shot! Hope it's not Alzheimer's creeping up on me... :blink:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1335602852' post='1633548']
Is that the smaller one of the two? Don't forget to let us know how you get on with it
[/quote]

It got here quick, it is ok so far. Will let you know once I've gigged it. In the meantime linky to my new amp day thread,
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/174828-new-amp-day/page__pid__1633731#entry1633731"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/174828-new-amp-day/page__pid__1633731#entry1633731[/url]

[/quote]

Simples, Matt has already posted pics of his RedSub's innards.... now let's see what a 'methean with it's top off looks like. :)

SHAZAM!

I had a spare five minutes....

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1332594680' post='1590423']
Right, for all you amp geeks I took the lid off yesterday:

All looks compact and bijou in there. If it goes pop then I guess it'll just go pop though - looks a lot closer to the definition of "no user serviceable parts inside" than my old Hartke HA3500 ;)
[/quote]

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1335627424' post='1633949']
The Prometheans came out first, probably by a good 6 months or so. Then, I imagine, the factory who made them for Ibanez pimped out their facility to other amp companies, so to all intents and purposes, they're the same amp in different boxes. What with them all being built in the same place, they should be identical, and dare I say it, with the Prometheans being the first off the assembly line, you'll probably find the latter ones a bit more reliable, as they'll have ironed out all the kinks on Ibanez's watch...
[/quote]
The HB and RS models are identical, but the Ibanez has a different pre-amp - the former two brands have a few more bells and whistles on the front panel.

Beta Aivin were developing their own amp when Ibanez approached them with their requirements for a new amp - one of which was a pre-amp based on the MarkBass. The added features of the other Beta Aivin produced models appear to be there so they don't step on Ibanez's toes. However all the amps share the same power modules and supplies.

So it might be fair to say that they're all clones of [url="http://www.beta-aivin.com/English/Products/Bass/BT/English_206.html"]Beta Aivin[/url]. ;)

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1335636900' post='1634150']
The HB and RS models are identical, but the Ibanez has a different pre-amp - the former two brands have a few more bells and whistles on the front panel.

Beta Aivin were developing their own amp when Ibanez approached them with their requirements for a new amp - one of which was a pre-amp based on the MarkBass. The added features of the other Beta Aivin produced models appear to be there so they don't step on Ibanez's toes. However all the amps share the same power modules and supplies.

So it might be fair to say that they're all clones of [url="http://www.beta-aivin.com/English/Products/Bass/BT/English_206.html"]Beta Aivin[/url]. ;)
[/quote]

Aaaaah, I stand corrected! :yarr:
I didn't realise that was how it went down. I also didn't know that Ibanez were chasing a bit of that MarkBass tone, which is probably why I like it!
I really miss the sound of my ol' LM 250 with an Aggie 112, and I've been planning to up my rig a bit later this year, but maybe I should sort out cabs first and try them with the Promethean head, as it must just be making close to the noise I'm looking for anyway, I'm now fairly sure the natural low end of a 12" speaker compared to the 10" in the Promethean is what I'm really missing :)

Eude

[sub][size=3][size=4]just ordered a promethean from thomann. after going round for hours justifying the spend i hit the buy button. im hoping to run it as a stand alone head with an ashdown LB212 4 ohm cab for gigs and use it on its own for rehearsals and home use. Im also wonderind if the addition of an eden 1x12" cab would give me a modular ballsy rig thats easy to move, might not even need the 212 if that works.[/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][size=3][size=4]question is was the promethean worth the extra spend? or should i have gone the harley benton route considering the amps get a rave review?[/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][size=3][size=4]come on promethean owners give me your views[/size][/size][/sub]

I've bleated on enough about mine, but here's a little review that might help you make up your mind >>
http://www.bassplayersunited.com/2011/04/gear-review-ibanez-promethean-combo-5110-vs-genz-benz-3-0-310t/
[i]"This is a $2,000.00 amp in a $699.00 package..."[/i]
Sums it up nicely.

I know the HB and RedSub heads are similar, but they have a different front end and I'd put money on the design of the cab and the quality of the speaker of the Promethean being quite a bit better.

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1336247633' post='1643164']
......I know the HB and RedSub heads are similar, but they have a different front end and I'd put money on the design of the cab and the quality of the speaker of the Promethean being quite a bit better.

Eude
[/quote]

I honestly hate to disagree with you about the cabs Ewan but given that the two heads are so similar, and having heard both in action I've got to say that as I preferred the sound of the RedSub I'd say that it's cab is more suited to the form factor than the 'methean's. Having said that, I dare say that the 'methean will address some of the misgivings I had with the RS head going into a quality cab.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1336247633' post='1643164']
I know the HB and RedSub heads are similar, but they have a different front end and I'd put money on the design of the cab and the quality of the speaker of the Promethean being quite a bit better.

Eude
[/quote]
Good point about the speakers/cabs. It'd be interesting to find out what the drivers are compared to the Ibanez, and whether the cabs are MDF or chipboard (I'm assuming the Promethean is ply).

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1336385548' post='1644669']
My money is on the cabs being identical.
[/quote]

Impossible - they're different sizes for a start. The Promethean is front ported, the HB/RS is rear ported. Anecdotally, the HB/RS is heavier than the Promethean.

Damn, I should have waited to see how much money was being put on the table ;)

Edited by neepheid