Why become a member? ×

Another Promethean Clone?

Matt P

Well... the amp is really wonderful. The first thing I noticed is that the power section is very good... doesn't have the "hollow" sounding lows of some other class D amps like the MB200. The preamp is a bit mid-heavy but this can be tamed using a bit of the adjustable Contour. The chassis looks cheesy in pictures but is pretty sturdy and well made, polished on the front and matt black on other sides. I opened mine and everything is pretty tidy... it's really a winner.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1334490128' post='1616743']
This might be interesting . (sorry can't post tidy link from my fone.... hope it works)
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150791278170?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
[/quote]

£310..! Someone got a bargain.

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1334571600' post='1617647']
yah i hit 325 at the last min but missed it boo
just hope it was a BCer
[/quote]

Why do you hope it was a BCer? Not trying to pick an argument, it just struck me as a strange thing to say.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1334571709' post='1617651']
Why do you hope it was a BCer? Not trying to pick an argument, it just struck me as a strange thing to say.
[/quote]

Just keepin' it in the faaaamily... (innit) ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1334571709' post='1617651']
[/quote]

I'm guessing you thought he meant "hope the (unlucky) seller was a BCer" not the buyer, aye? :D

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1334593151' post='1618178']
I'm guessing you thought he meant "hope the (unlucky) seller was a BCer" not the buyer, aye? :D
[/quote]

It's not even that (I hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it). I just don't see what relevance the buyer's BC membership status has. To me, it's like saying "I hope someone in Aberdeen won it", just because I live in Aberdeen.

:unsure:

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1334595576' post='1618256']
It's not even that (I hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it). I just don't see what relevance the buyer's BC membership status has. To me, it's like saying "I hope someone in Aberdeen won it", just because I live in Aberdeen.

[/quote]

It's a good price, so Buckets was probably just hoping a BC'er was the lucky buyer. Y'know, wishing some good fortune on his BC peers.

It ain't rocket salad...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1334596102' post='1618274']

It's a good price, so Buckets was probably just hoping a BC'er was the lucky buyer. Y'know, wishing some good fortune on his BC peers.

It ain't rocket salad...
[/quote]
that's exactly what it was. no offence meant to anyone sheesh lets get back to the thread
what rig am I gonna buy........;-)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1334595576' post='1618256']

[/quote]

Oh well in that case, get with the program you grumpy old git. :P :D

Hi Guys,

My Harley Benton 500w into 4ohm & 250w into 8ohm Combo arrived this morning - from Thomann - vor sprung etc - very quick hassle free delivery & first impressions are very good! Looks the same as the Red Sub - but is all black, which suits an old codger like me!! Unusually quiet when in operation - which is a surprise - as all the other 'budget' gear I've had over the years has tended to 'snap, crackle & pop' a bit in operation. It is really well put together & sounds very good - providing volume in abundance from such a tiny unit. Due to the extremely low price, maybe it's not as Hi-Fi or 'boutique' as it's 'very' expensive competitors - but you wouldn't expect it to be - would you??

The internal 8ohm, 250w speaker is fed from the jack socket on the back of the amp, which leaves the speakon free to connect to an 8ohm extention cab - thus providing the full 500w from the amp.

Not a great deal more to add, apart from the sound is very focused - with a bias towards mids, rather than thunderous bass, but again it's only a very small 1 x 10 unit & the amp is as loud as heck + all controls work well & the bonus of being able to detach the amp from the combo & use it as a 'stand alone' Class D amp is a great idea! It even has a little leg that screws in to the base of the unit to tilt it back - so I'm thinking it would be cracking as an on stage bass monitor??

Please don't dash out & buy one just on my recommendation & on the judgement of my very old cloth ears - but if you get the chance to try one 'please' do, as in my very humble opinion I have never got more bang for my bucks during the past 40 years - honest injun!! Seems to be a bargain at £234.45 - delivered, from Germany in under 3 days - but then again, what do I know??

ps - I've just tried it with my Yamaha 1 x 10 as an extention cab & the walls are shaking - blinking heck!!

Yep - I think the power & to a certain extent the tone is obviousley constricted by the miniscule dimensions of the cab, so can't I wait to 'unleash the beast' & drive some bigger cabs with it, but if you don't need a lot of volume it seems pretty good with just an extension cab to me?? Also - just thought I'd mention that due to the quietness of this unit it would probably be blinking fab in the studio??

Edited by dodgnofski

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1334941905' post='1623902']
I'm pretty sure that the 1x10" cab of the combo somehow ruins the sound of the head. I used it on a couple of Eminence powered cabs and it was really really something!
[/quote]

The little box is surprisingly nice sounding. Eminently usable in a practice room with an entire band and I used my combo to good effect this weekend at a stripped back "acoustic" gig. Then at night I put the head through my 4x10 for a louder, plugged in gig. If you just get the head then you're only getting half the story and half the capability. It really is a swiss army knife, so glad I got the combo, it's just so versatile.

Used the Promethan at a wedding for a bassist I was covering.

All I can say is wow!

The little thing sounded fantastic, it was DI'd (which is abit of a hassle as its tucked underneath the amp) and I got some feed through a monitor, so it was perfectly fine.

For small-medium pub gigs, it would be fine. If it was DI'd, you would be laughing.