Why become a member? ×

SHURE SM58 mic weights

mybass

[quote name='StraightSix' timestamp='1329733626' post='1546387']
Did you check the links I listed...?

There are many better ways to check if your Shure is real...
[/quote]

Yes I did check them and many thanks. I'd had to look through several web sites to find what was in just one of your links.
The final check is that the Beta weight is under 'whereabouts' what Shure states. The internal wire colours to the 3 pins is also incorrect
and the increased handling noise ain't good.... the Beta is a fake.

[quote name='StraightSix' timestamp='1329744979' post='1546593']
Sorry to hear that.

Just for reference, I dug out my old late 1970s dual-impedance SM58 (not BETA) and it weighs 295g,

Also it's worth noting that that the Shure website lists the current SM58 as weighing 298g but the SM58 BETA weighs 278g.
[/quote]

Your figures are as correct as Shure state, sir. (Their given weights on their website are : SM58 298g ..... Beta58A 278g).
However, the current crop of bona fide SM58s are weighing in at around 320g, by their own admittance!
I've returned the Beta for refund and actually may start looking at other mics instead of Shure....EV/Rode/Sennheiser maybe.

[quote name='mybass' timestamp='1329761712' post='1546933']
...may start looking at other mics instead of Shure... EV/Rode/Sennheiser maybe.
[/quote]

SE do some cracking mics, and very affordable too. Recommended.
[url="http://www.seelectronics.com/"]http://www.seelectronics.com/[/url]

[quote name='mybass' timestamp='1329761712' post='1546933']
I've returned the Beta for refund and actually may start looking at other mics instead of Shure....EV/Rode/Sennheiser maybe.
[/quote]

Do be aware that there are other manufacturers who are also getting cloned now - Sennheiser is definitely one of them...

I recently bought a (genuine) Sennheiser E835 and it is great value for the £40-odd I paid for mine second hand.

Is it for live or studio use...?

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1329820978' post='1547747']
+1 on the e835, great mic, think of it as a differnet stand in for the ubiquitous sm57, where as the e845 has more eq built in and os closer to an sm58 in where its aiming.

Both great value for money mics IME.
[/quote]

Thanks for the Sennheiser update.....The 835/845 look pretty good on spec and decent (Amazon/other shop) prices.....one with a switch could be useful.
A friend of mine uses an Elecrovoice N/D 767a which sounds a little better than the SM58.....about £80 these days but a few years back when he bought they were well over £100.

Edited by mybass

• 7 years later...
18 hours ago, jackthelad said:

I have just boughta new SM58 mic i weighed it too,330g,i messaged seller,no reply,i've scoured the net and checked out every detail,including on box made in mexico,so hopefully not a fake.

It looks like you have a bona fide one so that’s good. Shure are decent all round mics.