Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot Gain issues

big rob

Hi All,
I have a Trace Elliot AH300-12, I am plugging into this an Alembic Mark King signiture and my other bass is a Warwick Dolphin pro 1. The problem i have is that with both basses i have to turn the gain up to 10 just to get into the orange ok when played heavy.
There is plenty of volume and the amp has been the same since new, but i am finding that the compression section and the valve section are not really working at there best.
Is there anyway that i can adjust the gain pot or something inside so i can get more gain for the basses i am plugging in.

Hope someone can help want to start driving that valve harder and with the low gain its niot really possible.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Big Rob

I think Trace heads were designed to be clean sounding and the valve is intended to give warmth. I was never able to drive the valve to break up. Plus I have a Warwick with active MEC jazz pups and their output is the same as passives until you add bass and treble from the onboard preamp. Actives are not always that hot.

Traces always have to have their gain very high to get the orange light on, I had the same issue with an AH300-12 head when I had one. Never really bothered me - try chanigng the valve for something else and you may find that helps get the sound you want anyway (that's what I did!)

• 2 weeks later...