Why become a member? ×

The Last Guitar Hero?

MacDaddy

I think there may be a tad of confusion surrounding this thread :)

It's actually asking the question 'who was the last guitar hero?'. Guitar heroes as espouced by guitar publications back in the day such as [i]Guita[/i][i]r for the Practising Musician.[/i]

There has been no mention of, or claim of anything is 'better', and no disparaging other guitarists.

I still say Bettencourt. Extreme came to prominence with their second album in 1990. Gilbert was already well known through his Racer X days before Mr Big's first album in 1989, and Slash came in to the scene in with G n R's first album in 1987. Bellamy is a great player, but I'd agree with Leftybassman, he doesn't fit the old school guitar hero mould.

Being a guitar hero has as much to do with public profile rather than just ability. I guess Guthrie could be a guitar hero to many guitarists but he's not a household name unfortunately. But everyone, old young etc has heard of Clapton, Page and Hendrix. Even if they have no desire to play an instrument whatsoever.

If it's just down to great playing, then Leslie West was always my guitar hero and Tony McAlpine in later years. If it's down to public opinion, I guess it's the Slashes and Samboras of this world. Maybe Gary Moore also.