Why become a member? ×

The Last Guitar Hero?

MacDaddy

Back in the days of [i]Guitar for the Practising Musician[/i], guitar heroes were a plenty. Then gunge came along and did away with all that.

But who was the last guitar hero? I mean proper back in the day guitar hero, I reckon Nuno Bettencourt.

Hmmm...not sure the grunge era necessarily killed off guitar hero's.

Stone Gossard and Mike McCreedy from Pearl Jam are awesome players and one of the best lead/rhythm combo in rock music ever.
Tom Morrello is known for weird noises and is very inspirational in that vein, but is a flaming hot shredder too.
Billy Corgan and James Iha from the Smashing Pumpkins are really clever musicians and came up with some classic riffs and interesting guitar tones.
Jeff Buckley was pretty bad ass and one of the most melodic players I have ever heard.
Peter Buck from REM is a hugely influential guitarist.

I love players like Slash, Dimebag, Nuno, Vai etc… but, playing 1000 notes per bar doesn’t make a guitar hero IMO. BB King is one of my fav guitar hero’s and he will only play two or three notes in a bar and is still hugely influential after all of these years!

Edited by shizznit

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1329408031' post='1542052']
Hmmm...not sure the grunge era necessarily killed off guitar hero's.

Stone Gossard and Mike McCreedy from Pearl Jam are awesome players and one of the best lead/rhythm combo in rock music ever.
Tom Morrello is known for weird noises and is very inspirational in that vein, but is a flaming hot shredder too.
Billy Corgan and James Iha from the Smashing Pumpkins are really clever musicians and came up with some classic riffs and interesting guitar tones.
Jeff Buckley was pretty bad ass and one of the most melodic players I have ever heard.
Peter Buck from REM is a hugely influential guitarist.

I love players like Slash, Dimebag, Nuno, Vai etc… but, playing 1000 notes per bar doesn’t make a guitar hero IMO. BB King is one of my fav guitar hero’s and he will only play two or three notes in a bar and is still hugely influential after all of these years!
[/quote]

This. I must say this does sound worryingly like one of these "everything was better back in [i]my day[/i]" type of threads...

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1329409239' post='1542076']
This. I must say this does sound worryingly like one of these "everything was better back in [i]my day[/i]" type of threads...
[/quote]

Not from me. I answered the question in the terms in which it was asked.

As it happens I'm always open to new music (which, come to think of it, was pretty much a requirement of the job as a guitar teacher - it was by no means uncommon for me to have students walk through the door clutching a CD by someone I'd never heard of). Just because I wouldn't listen to it for my own pleasure doesn't mean I didn't like it. I'd hope any musician who wants to be taken seriously as such would have a similar viewpoint.

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1329405112' post='1541977']
Back in the days of [i]Guitar for the Practising Musician[/i], guitar heroes were a plenty. Then gunge came along and did away with all that.
[/quote]

then why are guitar shops still full of people w***ing on egg slicers ?

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1329413114' post='1542163']

then why are guitar shops still full of people w***ing on egg slicers ?
[/quote]

True. I have heard many kids in music shops chopping away at Dragon Force songs. Shred is definately not dead.

I still rate Slash as being a proper guitar hero. Yes, he can widdle, but more of the time he seems to play solos with real feeling in them. From November Rain with GnR, to American Man with VR, not to mention his solo album, and the many guest slots he appears on.

[quote name='ojplaysbass' timestamp='1329407496' post='1542040']
wasn't Matt Bellamy meant to be the modern guitar hero?
[/quote]

I'm a big fan of Muse and like Bellamy's guitar playing a lot. As to whether he counts as a guitar hero in the way that guys like Slash, Bettencourt, Satriani, et.al. would depends on what you actually mean by the term. For me it is at least partly to do with technique - all the other guys mentioned here were known at least partly for their technical prowess, and much as I like Bellamy's guitar work, I'm not sure that I'd call it heroic in that sense. Technically at least, I reckon he's a better piano/keyboard player than a guitarist.

Marty Freidman for me. He did a solo album which showed him in a different pespective (the name escapes me but 'Scenes' maybe?) from his Megadeth stuff, almost kind of classical in places. That said the way He and Dave Mustaine trade lead roles during the same song on a lot of their stuff is fab, Tornado of Souls being a personal favourite!!

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1329668644' post='1545557']
I'm a big fan of Muse and like Bellamy's guitar playing a lot. As to whether he counts as a guitar hero in the way that guys like Slash, Bettencourt, Satriani, et.al. would depends on what you actually mean by the term. For me it is at least partly to do with technique - all the other guys mentioned here were known at least partly for their technical prowess, and much as I like Bellamy's guitar work, I'm not sure that I'd call it heroic in that sense. Technically at least, I reckon he's a better piano/keyboard player than a guitarist.
[/quote]

I believe Bellamy is meant to be a highly able player, but I cannot bear what muse I've heard - it breaks too many rules about what makes music enjoyable for me, and just sounds like someone trying too hard. Now back in my day.... mutter, mutter....

I'd go with Gilbert as being the last of the true heroes - just a phenomenal player, and really musical instead of merely shredding.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1329684459' post='1545966']
I believe Bellamy is meant to be a highly able player, but I cannot bear what muse I've heard - it breaks too many rules about what makes music enjoyable for me, and just sounds like someone trying too hard. Now back in my day.... mutter, mutter....

I'd go with Gilbert as being the last of the true heroes - just a phenomenal player, and really musical instead of merely shredding.
[/quote]

It's very well written modern rock music (and that's the basis of my liking of the band); but unless things have changed recently, it's very riff-driven and clearly designed to pull the listener in and give them something they can whistle to themselves on the way home. That's not what guitar heroes are supposed to do - I mean, the widdly stuff has memorable riffs too (Sweet Child o' Mine?), but a hero would use them as a jumping-off point, whereas for Muse they are pretty much the entire substance of the song.

I'm sure others will beg to differ, but there it is. Now if you'll excuse me I'm overdue for my warm milk and Rusks.

[quote name='Steve G' timestamp='1329671654' post='1545625']
Marty Freidman for me. He did a solo album which showed him in a different pespective (the name escapes me but 'Scenes' maybe?) from his Megadeth stuff, almost kind of classical in places. That said the way He and Dave Mustaine trade lead roles during the same song on a lot of their stuff is fab, Tornado of Souls being a personal favourite!!
[/quote]

+1. And Alex Skolnick!! Whether he's wearing his thrash or jazz cap - awesome either way.

[quote name='d4tux' timestamp='1329766042' post='1547026']
I'd say Guthrie Govan has to be the best guitarist I've heard in a long while. Not sure if he would be classed as modern enough to be considered a modern guitar hero though.
[/quote]

My current favourite quitar player (for several years now) and quite possibly the best all-round guitarist I've ever heard. If you love the electric guitar and haven't heard the 'Erotic Cakes' CD then you are truly missing out.

As a taster, just type his name into the Youtube search engine.

Despite all this, I wouldn't classify him as a guitar hero in the way that someone like Gilbert or Slash is. (Actually I'm not even sure he'd thank you for the moniker.) He's as good at Jazz and Blues as he is at shred.