Why become a member? ×

EAD Cabs - Opinions etc...

far0n

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a 2x12 for quite a while now. I'm in a hurry and spotted the thread so just two quick observations.

Bombproof construction.
Incredible sounds.

Best cab I've ever owned. I've used it on it's own which was ace and also used it running off a 2 ohm amp in conjunction with a SWR Triad. Loud, much? Verily. That sounded superb but the idea of replacing the SWR with another EAD makes me quiver at the trossochs.

Can't recommend them highly enough.

Agreed! It has to be done!

I have to say, I was impressed by barefaced for the first time at the se bash while si was doing his Fx talk. I've not been a fan at all previously as they've always sounded gutless to me, loads of bass etc but no oomph. The two compacts at the se bash seemed to be kicking that out nicely. I'm starting to believe they may be more suited to those of us who are Fx heavy.

The standing niggle for barefaced with me is the looks, hopefully that will be addressed in the future :)

Kev, your playing always astonishes me. In many respects it's quite minimalist, always just enough and no more, but every note is utterly relevant. And I love angular repetative motifs - Reversal pushes a lot of buttons for me.

And the EAD sounds great, btw.

Kev's playing left me speechless at the Fumble a while ago, really nice playing and unusual style that made me go home and practice my harmonics (still nowhere near :()

I've owned my EAD for over a year now, it looks brand new but has probably done over 50 gigs and a few rehearsals too! I believe the original incarnation was AB'd against the Barefaced (amongst other cabs) at the Moffat bass bash and every one was suitably impressed, don't know if the production model made it up this year (I'm assuming it did).

As always if anyone wants to have a blast on one and are local PM me. More than happy to drink tea and talk bass :D

• 2 months later...

I've kept an eye on the EAD thread for nearly 18 months and still no sign of a 1x12" cab actually being produced!

Did I say I've also created an amazing prototype cab, it's covered in an ultratuff coating made from albino Unicorn Horns and uses new aerospace technology that doesn't use loudspeakers to create waveforms, instead it's based on trained mini gibbons waving fans. And, I can price this at just under a hundred quid a cab!!! I'll keep you posted on progress. :gas:

That's some of the most enjoyable stuff I've heard on BC for a while Spoombung. It's sort of 'busy with space' - nothing gets in the way of anything else but it's interesting to listen to. Yep, great stuff, and the cab sounds marvellous as well - delightfully smooth across the range with no lumps or bumps, scoops or hollows. Impressed all round really. :)

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1357309167' post='1920725']
Does that tell me when the EAD 1x12" cabs will be available. Please start a "We Love Spoombung" topic, if there isn't one already.... Cheers.
[/quote]

Largo, it's not up to you to dictate which way a thread travels.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1357309167' post='1920725']
Does that tell me when the EAD 1x12" cabs will be available.
[/quote]

I reckon the best place to find that out would be to email EAD direct and see what they've got planned...(and then let us know) ;)

Spoombung-gate may have been a little off topic but...meh, it was an EAD in use with some quality music to demonstrate it so back on topic now yes?

I'd really like to try a foundation 212 back to back with a barefaced S12-T in a cage match! The barefaced lists a slightly wider frequency range and is slightly lighter but the EAD looks awesome and I know they sound good cos I had a brief go with one in Moffat when at ACG towers...

[size=4]HI Guys. This is from my web site that was updated last year:-[/size]

[size=4][quote]As of November 2012 EAD will be primarily concentrating on Design and Consultant work[/size]
[size=4]The Foundation Range of cabs will only be supplied on a custom order basis and subject to limited stock availability[/quote][/size]

[size=4]Once driver cost and production costs settle down I can re-evaluate production runs. [/size]

[size=4]There are [/size]2 Foundation 212's currently available but none of the 112's.

Dave

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1357310116' post='1920747']
Spoombung-gate may have been a little off topic but...meh, it was an EAD in use with some quality music to demonstrate it so back on topic now yes?

I'd really like to try a foundation 212 back to back with a barefaced S12-T in a cage match! The barefaced lists a slightly wider frequency range and is slightly lighter but the EAD looks awesome and I know they sound good cos I had a brief go with one in Moffat when at ACG towers...
[/quote]

Wiling to supply a Barefaced S12T for this...

I would imagine that each will be highly articulate, with the EAD possibly just sneaking it in the mid band.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1357315836' post='1920918']
Wiling to supply a Barefaced S12T for this...

I would imagine that each will be highly articulate, with the EAD possibly just sneaking it in the mid band.
[/quote]

That's kind of what I thought too, but the pudding's proof is in the hearing as the well known saying goes :blink:

Very kind of you to offer your S12-T for this experiment!

You're in Leeds yes?
I'm in Sheffield;
EAD is in Chorley...unless someone else has a Foundation 212 they'd bring along maybe?

I wonder if there's a venue at some convenient location where we could (via the medium of a few different amps and basses) try them both to put this question to bed once and for all! Some kind of bash type thing, maybe in Yorkshire :blush:

If someone's there who can write we could do a proper piece on it for the edification of BC in general?

I can bring my ACG Recurve 6, pair of Epi UL112-2, Genz Shuttle 9 and MarkBass LMII to add into the comparison mix...

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1357316502' post='1920939']

You're in Leeds yes?
I'm in Sheffield;

[/quote]

Based in Hull Andy. About an hour and a half max to Sheffield. This needs some serious thought. Done properly we'd record everything close miked, 6 feet away and 20 feet away at head height, using a pre-recorded bass track. That would give people an idea of the sound they could expect from micing up, and then standing 6 and 20 feet away - on stage and in the audience type of test.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1357317479' post='1920976']
Based in Hull Andy. About an hour and a half max to Sheffield. This needs some serious thought. Done properly we'd record everything close miked, 6 feet away and 20 feet away at head height, using a pre-recorded bass track. That would give people an idea of the sound they could expect from micing up, and then standing 6 and 20 feet away - on stage and in the audience type of test.
[/quote]

That'd be pretty handy though wouldn't it! If we're doing that it'd be well handy to do the same with a pair of Epi, Vanderkley, Genz, Aguilar cabs too

It still wouldn't get over wanting to have a prattle with my amps through 'em too to get some kind of clue how [i]I'd [/i]sound...but it'd be an excellent way to get a feel for each brand...

What amp to use through them or would a bridged pa amp be the most clinical way of just comparing cabs? although that wouldn't give you effect of [i]your [/i]combination would it...