Why become a member? ×

EAD Cabs - Opinions etc...

far0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1343293897' post='1748329']any chance of you getting to the SE Bass Bash with some???
[/quote]

edit: just checked the date - 29th sept - I cant get down to that one (Mrs P is away for that weekend so I am left in charge of Perry towers and the many monkeys that keep appearing.....)

I will keep my eyes open for other bass bashes as checking them out in the flesh and comparing them against other stuff is what's important to do

Stacking 4 of the tilt back cabs would result in the top cab pretty much pointing at the sky, and you would need to employ a permanent cab stack support roadie..... :)

Yes, way too much of tilt back

No, the main idea was to suit the majority of people using a pair of 1x12's.

Dave

Edited by david_l_perry

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1343293897' post='1748329']
I think they look bloody brilliant to be perfectly honest. I'd love to hear the stacked 112s, any chance of you getting to the SE Bass Bash with some???
[/quote]

I'm very lazy. Where's the info on this bash?...

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1343293897' post='1748329']
I think they look bloody brilliant to be perfectly honest. I'd love to hear the stacked 112s, any chance of you getting to the SE Bass Bash with some???
[/quote]

OK mate.
I can exclusively reveal that I'll be taking delivery of one of the EAD 112 Prototypes very soon.
It's just the one 1x12 but it's the best 1x12 cab I've ever seen and heard before in my life.
I will try my bestist to make it along to the SE Bash so some of you peeps can give it a go.

Sound good?

Eude

[quote name='david_l_perry' timestamp='1343296665' post='1748383']
Stacking 4 of the tilt back cabs would result in the top cab pretty much pointing at the sky, and you would need to employ a permanent cab stack support roadie..... :)

Yes, way too much of tilt back

No, the main idea was to suit the majority of people using a pair of 1x12's.

Dave
[/quote]

2 x (2x12)s then! :) - just looking at the spec. Surprinsingly light given whats in there and the size of them. Weights about the same as one of my 2x10 cabs.

A little late to the conversation here (don't look at the cabs forum much anymore) I've been gigging an EAD 212 for just under of a year now. To put it simply it's fantastic. Articulate, HiFi (if you want), amazing build quality, loud (don't need to push my amp hard at all), very portable. I don't see me needing another cab for a long long time.

The sensitivity/volume of the cab is excellent which pleases me greatly - no need to buy a very powerful head to run it, I don't think I've had to turn my amp (Genz Benz Shuttle max 6) above 40% - and I've used this thing in an aircraft hangar!

The fit and finish of these is absolutely first class, whilst Dave has designed and produced these things on his own from the fit finish (and sound) you'd expect there to be a large R&D and manufacturing department behind them, just flawless.

There's been a couple of questions about the durability but in the last 11 months I've done well over 30 gigs and countless rehearsals - it looks exactly the same as the day I got it. The finish is bullet proof, shortly after getting the cab I clumsily knocked my mixer into the cab - the (metal) mixer got dented? Not a sign on the cab - rock solid. It's more in line with very high end PA cabs than other bass cabs, and those things cost an arm and a leg.

I was also in Reading to hear the 1x12 the other week and the upright through just a power-amp sounded excellent like a set of reference monitors. I'm very happy with my 212 but if you want a smaller cab or a modular set up then I think you'd struggle to find better.

I can't make the SE Bass Bash as I'm gigging that day but if people are serious about hearing one and are down south then drop me a PM.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, like Ewan, I bought one of the prototypes. I'm actually a bit shocked how good it sounded in rehearsal today. I'm not really used to this sort of high fidelity. I used it with my 27- year old H/H 100watt amp and hardly used the amp's tone controls at all. Everything was there already and it sounded fantastic with a much fuller midrange than a typical 12" cab. Band mates also very impressed.

It's a wonderful cab and a great design. I hope Dave puts these into full production soon. I think they'll do really well.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1344557494' post='1766543']
Well, like Ewan, I bought one of the prototypes. I'm actually a bit shocked how good it sounded in rehearsal today. I'm not really used to this sort of high fidelity. I used it with my 27- year old H/H 100watt amp and hardly used the amp's tone controls at all. Everything was there already and it sounded fantastic with a much fuller midrange than a typical 12" cab. Band mates also very impressed.

It's a wonderful cab and a great design. I hope Dave puts these into full production soon. I think they'll do really well.
[/quote]

When you say HiFidelity do you mean in a similar sort of way to a Markbass?

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1344582792' post='1766605']

When you say HiFidelity do you mean in a similar sort of way to a Markbass?
[/quote]

I don't really know what markbass cabs sound like. The EAD cab has a very full, complete sounding frequency range- unlike the Aguilar 12's I played through at a gig recently(for instance) that were all top and bottom but not much mid.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1344585587' post='1766625']
I don't really know what markbass cabs sound like. The EAD cab has a very full, complete sounding frequency range- unlike the Aguilar 12's I played through at a gig recently(for instance) that were all top and bottom but not much mid.
[/quote]

I always found the markbass cabs somewhat harsh... I have to admit these cabs are intriguing me very much

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1344585587' post='1766625']
[/quote]

+1,000,000.

The sound form these EAD Cabs is "complete".
Everything you put in, you get back out again, they're akin to high end PA speakers in that respect.
I've never heard such clarity in a bass cab, almost like the sound you get from pro studio monitors.

Charic, are you going to the SE Bass Bash? I should be there, with my EAD 1x12 if you fancy a wee shot?...

Eude

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1344589146' post='1766673']
I'm going to try and make it and if I do I will definitely be up for giving it a bash :D
[/quote]

Nice one dude. You'll only get a shot if you bring along "Nessie" of course... :yarr:

• 2 weeks later...

Not a great pic, but here's a shot from rehearsal yesterday. Note my 'vintage' amp sits astride my new prize.

Oh, yes, you can hear it live at our gig at the Buffalo bar on Wednesday 5th Sept: [url="http://www.buffalobar.co.uk/listing/2012/09/05/guided-missile-presents/"]http://www.buffalobar.co.uk/listing/2012/09/05/guided-missile-presents/[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1345801683' post='1781658']
Not a great pic, but here's a shot from rehearsal yesterday. Note my 'vintage' amp sits astride my new prize.

Oh, yes, you can hear it live at our gig at the Buffalo bar on Wednesday 5th Sept: [url="http://www.buffalobar.co.uk/listing/2012/09/05/guided-missile-presents/"]http://www.buffaloba...ssile-presents/[/url]

Dude... can I nick this for the HH facebook page?
[/quote]