Why become a member? ×

EAD Cabs - Opinions etc...

far0n

• 5 weeks later...

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Well yesterday at the Moffat Bass bash we finally had a chance to hear the EAD Foundation 212 up against a Barefaced Super 12 T.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The difference sonically certainly wasn't night and day. My opinion is this, the EAD has a slightly better 'range' that you'd expect from a 3 way cab and the bottom end sounded a little fuller. You'd have to say though that the similarity was noteworthy, no pun etc. Both great sounding cabs.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The BF is lighter and if this is a major issue then it'll probably be the cab for you. The EAD isn't 'heavy'. It's a whole different approach in terms of construction and the emphasis placed on getting the details 'right' in terms of Dave Perry's obsession with such things :)[/font][/size]

[left]The greatest difference is in the construction and build quality. I'd be very much more worried about a BF cab suffering damage than the EAD. Given the respective prices (including the neo surcharge on the BF) AND the small but significant enhanced response the EAD is the better cab imo, hands down.[/left]

[left][size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Peter[/font][/size][/left]

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1359976495' post='1962650']
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]the EAD has a slightly better 'range' and the bottom end sounded a little fuller. Both great sounding cabs.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The BF is lighter. [/font]The greatest difference is in the construction and build quality. I'd be very much more worried about a BF cab suffering damage than the EAD. Given the respective prices the EAD is the better cab imo, [i][b]hands down[/b][/i].[/quote]

Interesting! Having said how close they are, you then state that the EAD is the better cab "hands down" - which kind of implies that the difference is massive! :blink:

Also, I was under the impression that the price difference was quite big! With the "standard" (i.e. not-tweetered and with the steel grille) S12 coming in at £760 vs. £1250 for the Foundation 212. That's a pretty significant price differential I would say! :D

IMO, the EAD cabs really look the business. But my experience of the fit and finish on BFB cabs is that they stand up to a lot more abuse than people think...

So yes, they may both be British built and designed 2x12 bass cabs, but the differences mean that they will probably not occupy the same market niche (IMO).

Thanks for the review though! :)

Edited by Conan

The S12 is missing some of the major components that make the EAD Foundation 212 what it is, the mid range driver, tweeter and the crossover, it's just a simple 2x12 cab which is why it's only £760, plus that's without the cheeky Neo surcharge.

To be fair, the Big Twin T is much more along the same lines to the EAD Foundation 212.
The Big Twin T is £1050 + the Neo surcharge of £40 per speaker = £1170 which is very much in the same ballpark as the EAD at £1250.

Eude

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1359978500' post='1962700']
Interesting! Having said how close they are, you then state that the EAD is the better cab "hands down" - which kind of implies that the difference is massive! :blink:

Also, I was under the impression that the price difference was quite big! With the "standard" (i.e. not-tweetered and with the steel grille) S12 coming in at £760 vs. £1250 for the Foundation 212. That's a pretty significant price differential I would say! :D

IMO, the EAD cabs really look the business. But my experience of the fit and finish on BFB cabs is that they stand up to a lot more abuse than people think...

So yes, they may both be British built and designed 2x12 bass cabs, but the differences mean that they will probably not occupy the same market niche (IMO).

Thanks for the review though! :)
[/quote]

The comparison was with a BF with tweeter so that model starts at £870 + £80 for the speaker surcharge = £950. The EAD was going for around £975 until recently so quite close in monetary terms. EAD gives you a nice cover with the cab too.

The difference in sound was there. Both are perfectly usable. The EAD allows you to tweak both the mids and tweeter. That, IMO, gives you much more versatility. And as Peter mentioned, the build detail and quality of the EAD is much better for the price.

Two great sounding cabs, different in looks and build methods.

Edited by TPJ

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1359979379' post='1962729']
The comparison was with a BF with tweeter so that model starts at £870 + £80 for the speaker surcharge = £950. The EAD was going for around £975 until recently so quite close in monetary terms. EAD gives you a nice cover with the cab too.
[/quote]

Oh right. Fair enough then! I assumed that the Nd surcharge had already been added on the BFB website price. F212 is definitely £1250 now though... :(

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1359979339' post='1962726']
To be fair, the Big Twin T is much more along the same lines to the EAD Foundation 212.
The Big Twin T is £1050 + the Neo surcharge of £40 per speaker = £1170 which is very much in the same ballpark as the EAD at £1250.[/quote]

Agreed. That would be an interesting A/B test! B)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1359980088' post='1962757']
Agreed. That would be an interesting A/B test! B)
[/quote]

Yup indeed it would, but I think the S12T vs the EAD Foundation 212 is still a valid one, especially seeing as the lows seem to be the most pronounced difference when it comes to the sound. I do love the look of the vertically aligned 2x12 retro thing the BF has going on, but if I was gigging reguarly, the my money would go on an EAD. I am a little biased though, as I already have one of the 1x12 prototypes :)

Eude

My 'hands down' comment is valid (in my opinion of course) and is attributed to what you get for your money as well as the sonic differences. Maybe my assessment was out of date re prices but I suspect your comment Conan about build was based on knowledge of the BF alone? The EAD is now £1250 plus £25 delivered whereas the nearest equivalent Big Twin T (and not the one used in the comparison) is £1050 plus, I believe £80 surcharge and £60 delivery. In the Pounds and lbs stakes that's £1275 and 57lbs against £1190 and 57lbs. Both cabs sound great and I'm not about to promote a cab bun fight.

I can say what I firmly believe, that in terms of value for money the EAD is a bargain when you break down exactly what you are getting. Both are great cabs, just significantly different approaches to the box that the speakers fit into.

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1359980658' post='1962775']
I suspect your comment Conan about build was based on knowledge of the BF alone? Both cabs sound great and I'm not about to promote a cab bun fight.
Both are great cabs, just significantly different approaches to the box that the speakers fit into.[/quote]

I am yet to see/try an EAD cab, so yes - my comments re build quality are restricted to my knowledge and experience of BFB. I was really responding to your original post that they seem flimsy. To an extent they do, but in use they are less so than they seem.

No "bun fight" intended here either. I just thought that the original comparison (S12 vs. F212) was a bit unfair as they are trying to be different things. A far more useful comparison would be (as you said) Big Twin T vs. F212. And as you rightly say, the financial side is much more balanced too.

I think we are actually agreeing with one another... :D

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1359990297' post='1963044']
I am yet to see/try an EAD cab, so yes - my comments re build quality are restricted to my knowledge and experience of BFB. I was really responding to your original post that they seem flimsy. To an extent they do, but in use they are less so than they seem.

No "bun fight" intended here either. I just thought that the original comparison (S12 vs. F212) was a bit unfair as they are trying to be different things. A far more useful comparison would be (as you said) Big Twin T vs. F212. And as you rightly say, the financial side is much more balanced too.

I think we are actually agreeing with one another... :D
[/quote]

Agree? Now there's an idea :D

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1360066570' post='1964188']
Just for clarification, there is no longer a neo surcharge on our cabs - the neo price is still high but relatively stable so when we revised our prices we removed the variable surcharge.
[/quote]

Good stuff dude, I think it's still mentioned on your site on the ordering and availability page...

Eude

• 4 months later...

When last I contacted David he'd sold out of his current batch of Foundation 212 cabs and was gathering cash / checking interest before starting another batch. I was about to ask about waiting lists when bassbunny's cab became available so I snapped it up and I've never been so happy with the sound of my basses!