Why become a member? ×

Anyone play Mandolin?

Nibody

I've always fancied picking up the Mandolin, partly inspired by my mums folk days, partly by Led Zeppelin. Just come into possesion of a Stagg mandolin. Have to say I'm finding it easier to pick up than the Banjo though I am perservering with that. Does anyone else here play Mandolin, and recomend any good sites for tabs?

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1329164997' post='1538294']
I have one of those, although its the 4-string variety. But it sounds good through a chorus, and is a lovely shade of seafoam green.
...[/quote]
I bought the 8-string version (exactly as in the photo) because I couldn't quite understand the point of the 4-string!
It is fantastic, and gets more comments than any other instrument I own! :D
And if they've really discontinued them, then now I can look forward to its value going up and up and up. :lol:

I do and Mandolin Cafe was probably the best one I used. I mainly taught myself from books. It was always fun gigging the mandolin as people automatically assumed I was a much better musician than I actually am. Ironically most audience members talk to me after an upright bass gig or a mandolin gig - everything else is just meh!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a tenor mandola. Couple of inches longer tuned down a fifth. Blink and you'd think its a mandolin.
I find the chords are easier for C maj songs on it, which seem to be best for my voice.
Haven't managed to play it much recently as it has been borrowed by my daughter although perversely she would rather it was a mandolin as she is a violin player and it would be tuned the same.

I bought the Fretted Friends tenor mandola chord bible from Amazon.. They seem to do books for all sorts of non-guitars.

Edited by Leon Transaxle

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1329165767' post='1538313']
I play mandolin, though I haven't picked one up for a while.

Can't help you with the tab thing, sorry - I've always just worked stuff out by ear.
[/quote]

+1, I got into the 'din because of the Wonderstuff, then worked backwards to Battle of evermore etc... Not played for a while though; my eldest son has 'adopted' it.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1331307478' post='1571179']
Would love to play Mando.

Next on list after the Guitar is mastered to a reasonable level. I think a Mandobird needs to be purchased, then of course a firebird to go with the T-bird ;)
[/quote]

Erm, sounds like somebody needs a 'triple-neck'...

[media]http://youtu.be/0qoWcIl53ac[/media]

• 4 weeks later...

Great instrument and +1 for mandolin cafe being a great site and resource for tabs, especially for Irish tunes.

I've done some mandolin transcriptions of a lot of tracks including Rory Gallagher and REM etc; even arranged some Rodrigo Y Gabriella for mandolin. Let me know if you need any music or listening recommendations and I might be able to help..,

Guest subaudio

I started to learn but had to sell it :( once I've built my arsenal of basses and big rig back up I'll definatley get another.

I would highly recommend Mike Marshalls instruction dvd's for technique, he has a lot of stuff on Youtube too.

Edited by subaudio