Why become a member? ×

Recommended Listening

jakenewmanbass

I've just taken delivery of Soul Speak by Michael McDonald.
As a revue of lots of old soul material, like his two motown albums it's great, he has avoided being compared as a poor cousin to the originals and used mostly the same players so all three have a continuity. It's Nathan East on bass and he is the epitome of interesting yet unobtrusive solid and very groovy.
I would highly recommend them.

This could be a chance to be a long running thread, I can think of loads of albums that I would strongly recommend to anyone who is taking bass playing seriously (or for fun), there are real greats that should just not be missed. I'm sure that fellow BCers will have as many recommendations.
Jake

I'll get in first with the blindingly obvious. Start with the back catalogue of the Motown, Stax and Atlantic labels. These records are the building blocks for 99.9% of the rest of music (and 100% of the bass playing) that followed. Also listen to as much New Orleans music as you can.

Recommended -

Shadows & Light - Joni Mitchell - great songwriting and great performances (Jaco)

Suntan - Michel Camilo Trio - its what a six string bass is for (Anthony Jackson)

Bright Size Life - Pat Metheny (Jaco)

Abercrombie, Johnson, Erskine - John Abercrombie Trio Live (Marc Johnson)

Conference of the Birds - Dave Holland

Miles Smiles - MIels Davis (Ron Carter)

Rejoicing - Pat Metheny (Charlie Haden and Billy Higgins - lush!)

Grasshopper - Wayne Johnson (Jimmy Johnson - no relation)

Allan Holdsworth - Road Games (Jeff Berlin - the height of his career)

Morrocan Roll - Brand X (Percy Jones NOT doing Jaco)

I could go and (and probably will) :)

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='171231' date='Apr 7 2008, 10:52 AM']The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses.

also,

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

Mani claimed to be the best bass player in the world at the time of recording. It very difficult to define "best", but I probably agree with him.[/quote]
BBC I had no idea you were such a fan, I've met Mani a few times, bizarrely in a civilian context as when I lived in Manchester my neighbour was a friend of his, so seeing me carry a bass in and out he made a point of introducing me when Mani was around :)

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='tauzero' post='171289' date='Apr 7 2008, 11:58 AM']Anything by Flanders & Swann or Tom Lehrer, because bassists really should get out more.[/quote]

+1 for Flanders & Swann - Cannot get enough of these genius songwriters & comedians!

Stevie Wonder - Anything

I seriously find it hard to belive that anybody can say that any of stevie's songs has a bass bass part for whatever reason, solid, groovy and fun to play. Cannot ask more.

Alien Ant Farm - ANThology & truANT

Doing what bass does with great songs

Back in Black- AC/DC

Whatcha Gonna Do For Me- Chaka Khan

Black Market- Weather Report (a bit like seeing a 'transformation' episode of Doctor Who)

(+1 for 'Bright Size Life' to hear a young Jaco poss at his finest, pre-notoriety)

Nightfly- Donald Fagen

Moving Pictures- Rush

Jim Jam- Jim Mullen (Pino on P bass- v tasty)

RATM- RATM (just listen to it anyway. It hasn't aged)

Any Chic compilation

My two penneth:

Led Zeppelin II - JPJ's finest hour
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik - when Flea was still allowed to play!
Weather Report - Heavy Weather - A masterclass from Jaco
Deep Purple - Machine Head - Great bass playing on one of the best rock albums ever
Metallica - Kill 'Em All - Not just Anesthesia, just Seek and Destroy is an awesome song for metal bass

On a Funk tip
No typo here-
Fukumara-hunt up wind---this ones a classic jazz funk tune from the late 70's
Chick Corea-Central Park--Bunny Brunel on a jacco vibe,imho as good as,awesome fretless playing,
It has a great solo,also the last quarter has a 16th note passage that Francis would be proud of,hehe
Gladys Knight & The Pips-I heard it through the grapevine--great syncopated bass line
David Bendeth-Feel The Real---a fave of mine,great bass line
Linda Clifford-Dont give it up--this grooves like a mutha

jus' my 10 cents.

Edited by kennyrodg

+1 for Chic, Stevie Wonder and Sly & The Family Stone.. And for the Ian Dury mention because of Norman!

Surprised no one's mentioned any of The Beatles albums yet for examples of McCartney's brilliant musicality, sometimes making a great song even better with beautiful, understated melodic bass playing.. And not forgetting

'Who's Next' for John Entwhistle
'School's Out' for some brilliant bass playing by Dennis Dunnaway

There's some great 80's basslines on the Frankie Goes To Hollywood stuff too...

Good thread this by the way :)

[quote name='Musky' post='171786' date='Apr 7 2008, 09:33 PM']Free - Mr. Big (live version)

Anyone even thinking about doing a bass solo should listen to Andy Fraser's effort and remember the words Simplicity, Phrasing and Melody.

And then promptly forget about ever taking a solo. :)[/quote]
Or alternatively, listen to the Billy Sheehan version and think technique, speed and how the hell does he play that and don’t play a solo until you master it (if ever)!

Also, Tony Franklin on the Glenn Hughes’ LA Blues Authority album if you can find it…..

Two underated 90's bass playing classics:

No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom - Tony Kanal on top form nailing about 10 different genres of bass playing. Great tone from the Yamaha BB.
Rancid - And Out Come The Wolves - truly magnificent punk bass playing. Bass solo in a punk song - what?! Ace!

I've said it in another thread but:
James Taylor Live.
Jimmy Johnson at his best IMO, totally nailed, understated but with flashes of musical brilliance, never in the way, every note adds something to the song. Phenomenal rhythm section with Carlos Vega, Don Grolnick (sadly both dead) and Michael Landau, Clifford Carter and of course JT on guitar and vox alongside four fabulous BVs.

Edited by jakesbass

Budgie : First three albums

Jack Bruce: Songs for a Tailor

John Coltrane: A Love Supreme

Deep Purple: Anything!

Talas: Sink Your Teeth Into That.

Jaco: The Birthday Concert.

Ron Carter: Uptown Conversation.