Why become a member? ×

Your favorite Jean-Jacques Burnel moments

dmz

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1328997434' post='1535958']
My fave JJ moment:

When the bass comes in on Hanging Around.

It really sounds like the bass amp is actually in your room, playing along to the track. Fantastic bass moment that.
[/quote]

That's the one. The first time I stuck it on the record player I decided I had to be a bass player and have a bit of that.

My fave JJ moment:

It really sounds like the bass amp is actually in your room, playing along to the track. Fantastic bass moment that.
[/quote]
[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1329123531' post='1537269']
This. The greatest bass guitar moment, ever. B)
[/quote]I only have to think about it to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.
One of the reasons we love JJ's playing of course is the fact he's high in the mix, it's just so refreshing to hear a bass that's not buried below drums and guitar

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1420037141' post='2645056']
One of the reasons we love JJ's playing of course is the fact he's high in the mix, it's just so refreshing to hear a bass that's not buried below drums and guitar
[/quote]
I can't remember how high he was in the mix around 1975/76 down the Nashville Rooms, Hope & Anchor etc but it was usually so loud you had to point at the the beer tap to get them to understand what you wanted to drink.

My fave JJ moment:

[/quote]

OMG. Hello. Who are these guys? Now THAT is a bass sound. Where did that come from ?

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1330529028' post='1558904']
I've decided. The Stranglers were Prog Punk.
[/quote]
Sounds about right to me. There were never a punk band that's for sure and they will always be simply a very good pub rock band to these ears and with the fierce competition at the time that's a compliment.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1419986726' post='2644711']
He just always looked and sounded genuinely dangerous, it wasn't an act.
[/quote]
That was the general look at the time and he didn't ever look that dangerous to me but that's maybe because i saw The Stranglers so many times in pubs and before the hits.
He didn't look anywhere near as menacing to me as Strummer, Brilleaux or Sean Tyla when they were on stage on the pub circuit in the 70s.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1420049368' post='2645222']
Any one remember Freddy Laker?
[/quote]

The girl is Penny Tobin, who guested on keyboards for loads of different well-known bands (e.g. Slits, Eurythmics) in the punk and post-punk era... [url="http://penelopetobin.com/about/"]http://penelopetobin.com/about/[/url]

My favourite Stranglers song must be Hanging Around - I love playing it on bass. The quicker the better, and this is probably the best video of that song, displaying all the audience participation and aggro they are famous for...

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z99Ah6pWHt0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z99Ah6pWHt0[/url]

Edited by Big Al

Haven't read much of the thread, so I'm probably doing an AOL style "me too", but my favourite JJ moment is the entire bass part to Nice 'N' Sleazy. It was my party piece when I first learned to play bass, and is invariably the first thing I play when I pick up an unfamiliar bass guitar.

Difficult to pick one out.
A total hero when I was younger and the guy who made it cool to pick up a bass, dress all in black and stomp around (playing Jam songs mind you!)
Love his music but lost a bit of respect for him after reading Hugh Cornwall's biography and how he actually feared for his life at the mood swings and attacks from JJ. I assume he is calmer and more mature now and still love listening to the grooves he lays down. The OP's Raven is something I always love listening to but as an aside, I was at a GuitarGuitar Martin promo workshop and I wandered in. Diane Ponzi (?) approached and asked which Martin Acoustic I wanted to play. I replied, 'I'm really a bass player..' 'Oh great she shouted! We've been waiting for one to come in all day - try this!' She handed me the GPA Bass and I was put on the spot in front of about 15 shoppers! What could I play on this beautiful piece of acoustic wood? Easy...out came 'Peaches'! 'Oh that's nice' she said, 'What is it?' About 4 guys shouted out 'Peaches' at the same time! A lot of JJ fans there!

So many epic bass lines, Nice n Sleazy and solo in Walk on by , Heroes, Hanging Around, Something Better Change, the list goes on and they are all brilliant and as good as each other. Totally unique bass player, which is a difficult thing to be, whilst producing something that actually works well.

Best Stranglers moment (non musical) "we hate playing to elitist audiences, so **** off" , proper social comment at the time