Why become a member? ×

Your favorite Jean-Jacques Burnel moments

dmz

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1329609310' post='1544932']
That bridge in Bristol.
[/quote]

I prefer the SS Great Britain... I think it was the inspiration for 'Toiler on the Sea'

Proper punk he was with all them chains..

You wanna see the size of the safety pin :lol:

Edit: extra stuff

Edited by billyapple

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1329609972' post='1544939']
Nothing past the first 4 albums then? Interesting..
[/quote]

In that case I'd stick in 'European Female', 'No Mercy' and 'Was It You'.....

Oh, and much of 'La Folie'....really good bass sound on that album IMHO, quite underrated.

Edited by spongebob

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1328997434' post='1535958']
My fave JJ moment:

When the bass comes in on Hanging Around.

It really sounds like the bass amp is actually in your room, playing along to the track. Fantastic bass moment that.
[/quote]

Definitely this for me too. It sounds corny, but it was Hanging Around that turned me from a guitarist into a bass player (mainly because the bassist in the covers band I was in at the time couldn't play it!)

The Stranglers were the only punk band I was ever interested in because, 'attitude' aside, they were the only ones with good musicians. Greenfield, Cornwell and Black were as much a part of that sound as JJB but some of their stuff had some monster playing on it. Unlike The Clash (has anyone actually LISTENED to 'Police and Thieves' :lol: ?

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1329609857' post='1544938']
Walk on By for me too. My fave Stranglers track and a regular on my IPod journey to work. Great song ( obv by Bacharach), great bass, great guitar solo, it just has everything
[/quote]
+1, one of the best cover versions ever. From when JJ comes in to the 'blurry bass notes' stuff over the extended keys solo it just smacks of someone confident and at the top of their game. Nice n Sleazy is also a belter both for the line itself and tone.

Edited by KevB

[i]Hanging around, Walk on by, Something better change 5 minutes........ But you can't beet that solo in Genetix. Dont really like much after The Raven..... However Ive got the Raven tattoed on my arm. The Stranglers and the Damned were the only British "punk" bands I liked. Though I would consider neither to be punk bands but rather they were happy to jump on the bandwagon.[/i]

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='marleaux62' timestamp='1332528796' post='1589733']
Went to see them last night at Newcastle, fav tracks: Walk On By / Nice And Sleazy / Hanging Around
JJS base sounded better than ever. So much so, thinking of getting a Shuker!!!
[/quote]
My favourite JJB moment is playing the riff to Peaches on his Shuker bass earlier today!!

This incident happened in Liverpool on the current tour-some moron thought it would be a good idea to throw a full pint of beer over JJ. Years ago he would have been flattened, but JJ has obviously learned the value of restraint these days. The twat got thrown out. I still wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of that glare though!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vnzzIrR26c&feature=player_detailpage#t=0s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vnzzIrR26c&feature=player_detailpage#t=0s[/url]

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1332674830' post='1591382']
This incident happened in Liverpool on the current tour-some moron thought it would be a good idea to throw a full pint of beer over JJ. Years ago he would have been flattened, but JJ has obviously learned the value of restraint these days. The twat got thrown out. I still wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of that glare though!
[/quote]

Just sent that link to a mate who replied with this:
"I've got a couple of photos somewhere I took at a Stranglers gig on the La Folie tour ( so 1981) . They were taken with a 110 camera, so they're not very good at all, but they are a photographic record of a very amusing incident where some kid did the same thing...JJ jumped into the crowd, hauled him onto the stage, pulled his trousers and pants down and held him in a neck/arm lock whilst the rest of the band lined up to spank his ass. They're in a suitcase in the loft..I'll have to get them out and scan them!"

If he does, I see if he minds me posting them on here.

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1332674830' post='1591382']
[/quote]

That is someone who is lucky to be in one piece.

• 2 years later...

The first time I met JJ it was at a nightclub called Ruffles, Aberdeen (now a car park!) in October 1978.
I was watching the support band (The Skids) up on the right balcony, when a lanky, leather-jacketed guy jumped over from backstage, and stood beside me to check out the venue sound.
For want of something inspired to say, as a fellow motorcyclist I just asked him how his 750cc Triumph Bonneville was running. I was honestly chuffed when he just looked at me and simply said "f*** off!".
Once on, the Stranglers heroically played through a non-stop volley of saliva, streaming down on them like arrows at Agincourt.
Hugh Cornwell looked extremely grim, carrying on playing while a long string of gob hanging from his nose swayed back and forth in time to the beat.
As one song ended, JJ got tired of his leather jacket getting covered, so took it off, but he continued to be hit, and finally snapped. He had obviously locked on to one particular culprit, put down his Precision, and just performed a beautiful swan dive into the audience, as if diving into a swimming pool.
When the crowd cleared around him, he was sitting on the guy's chest, raining punch after punch to his face and head. After a short while, bouncers picked JJ up and pushed him back on the stage again, and they could be seen dragging the guy outside, probably for another beating.
The spitting practically died out after that, and they carried on to deliver an absolutely fantastic gig, complete with memorable full frontal strippers for 'Nice 'n' Sleazy'.
I'm still a huge Stranglers fan - and in fact JJ's sound was the only reason I started playing bass!