Why become a member? ×

Your favorite Jean-Jacques Burnel moments

dmz

We'll at the moment it is the Raven album - good grief he's all over this disc - I love the groove, the melody, the tone on things like The Raven, Ice and Nuclear Device. Not to mention the outrageousness of Genetix......

A much overlooked album I would say

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLNacLOIaVw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLNacLOIaVw[/url]

My favorite JJ moment was finding Rattus Norvegicus in the summer of '77. I was 12 years old, and it was the first album that spoke to me. He set the course for me wanting to play bass, taking it from the background and into a virtuoso instrument. Not just the music, but also the cover.. He was all I wanted to look like too

• Like 1

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1328999077' post='1535986']
My favorite JJ moment was finding Rattus Norvegicus in the summer of '77. I was 12 years old, and it was the first album that spoke to me. He set the course for me wanting to play bass, taking it from the background and into a virtuoso instrument. Not just the music, but also the cover.. He was all I wanted to look like too
[/quote]

The bass guitar intro to Princess of the streets got me into the bass. And Peaches, Oh sh*t! there goes the charabanc! classic :D

Edited by Hobbayne

The viking ship on the back of 'The Raven' is still in Ramsgate where the picture was taken!

I'd read about it, but wasn't sure where it was - played a gig there, and coming back in the early hours of the morning....there it was all lit up!

Best JJ bits - just anything where he's audible for me! Up to '83....perfect. Lesser on record thereafter, but live last year he was a revelation. Best live bass tone I've ever heard. They opened with 'I Feel Like....' :excl: from the second album..it was like an earthquake!

I recently bought the '77 Hope And Anchor release from EMI on download. Any JJ fans should check it out - great songs, great playing....timeless band.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1328997434' post='1535958']
My fave JJ moment:

When the bass comes in on Hanging Around.

It really sounds like the bass amp is actually in your room, playing along to the track. Fantastic bass moment that.
[/quote]

This. The greatest bass guitar moment, ever. B)

I heard a story here (I think) about JJ taking a lump out of the wall at the wapping bass place with a stineberg bass (cricketbat one)
with the owners consent to see what they would stand up to. dont think I imagined it (did I?)
thats my favorite JJ moment.
You wouldnt want to fight him eh?

My favourite of these tales (of which there are many) is one that apparently happened at Plymouth Poly in 1981 (a gig I was at, although not down the front, where this apparently occurred). A pissed up twat was throwing his weight around and making a nuisance of himself to a couple of young lads. He was unwise enough to put a hand on the stage-JJ put his boot on it, put his full weight on to the hand, and continued playing whilst looking said twat in the eye. When he got off his hand the twat was no further trouble. JJ recounted a tale on the Stranglers website a while back of how he met Paul Simenon at a set of traffic lights in London whilst on his way to his son's gig on his motorbike. He recognised him, made himself known, they had a brief chat about Triumph motorbikes (Simenon was riding a Bonneville and JJ is a lifelong Triumph fan), and they shook hands before going their separate ways. He'll be 60 next week, and I understand he's a lot calmer these days.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1328997434' post='1535958']
My fave JJ moment:

When the bass comes in on Hanging Around.

It really sounds like the bass amp is actually in your room, playing along to the track. Fantastic bass moment that.
[/quote]

Oh yes Lozz. Oh yes. The story can be told in full as I met my cousin for the first time in years last week and he verified what my dodgy memory wasn't totally sure of.
My 14 year old self was wondering which instrument to take up as I knew I wanted to be in a band. I popped around to see my older cousin Gary who was playing guitar in a pub blues band so I thought he would be a good person to ask. I told him my predicament. He smiled got a copy of the newly released Rattus Norvegicus out of its cover and put the needle to Hanging Around on the record player. I think I said something like "That sound. I want to make that sound". Bass it was. Thanks Gary and thanks JJB.

The sound of JJ's bass was very influential in me picking it up. I ended up playing my Columbus P copy with round wound strings, using an old 5p piece as a plecktrum, the serrated edge made a nice grinding sound against the strings.
I saw them play at Brunel University in Uxbridge, great gig.