Why become a member? ×

does anyone regret selling their first bass

SidVicious1978

Mine's sat under my bed, gutted with a broken neck. It's a Benson P-bass copy I got off eBay for £80 with an amp the size of a child's shoebox. It looked like a child had built it too, the neck was bolted so far down on the body that the twelfth fret was where the seventeenth usually is. It sounded pretty good though despite the shoddy build quality.

my first bass i gave away to a friend

then followed a period of some several years of going over to the dark side and following regretting having to sell a gorgeous black/maple 77 strat and an ibanez sig series fgm100 my next bass when i decided to move away from the dark side was a status

do i regret selling a status?

what do you think? :o

Nope. Firewood is too kind a term for it :lol: Actually it was not sold, but lent to someone who left it ina greenhouse where it warped to heck.

First proper bass (Black Shergold Marathon later converted to a silverburst 8 string). Not really. Nice enough bass, but hardwork as an 8 string

First bass was a squire p bought new back in the 80's. keep buying and selling according to gas, but that squire has remained my main bass and the only bass i've ever gigged with. Not for sentimental reasons though. If the next purchase turns out to be nicer to play then it'll get sold (being a tight-arse i've never spent over a grand on a bass though, so this might never happen)

Not my first bass, which was a Hofner HS 185. By the time I'd had it for a year or so, I got Rick fever and bought an Ibby 4001 copy. The Hofner got sold off, though if I saw an identical one, I'd buy it for old time's sake.

I got rid of loads that I either fell out of love with or should have just never bought in the first place (Fender P-Lyte, 2 Washburns) but there are several I should have kept and here they are:-[list]
[*]'90 Warwick Thumb NT
[*]'91 Warwick Thumb NT Fretless (both sold to acquire a Dolphin Pro1 NT which was bowff, compared to the Tumbs!)
[*]'87 Steinberger XL2A (I got her back, though!)
[*]Early '90s Rick 4001CS
[/list]

Edited by Stacker

I don't regret selling mine - it was a "Craftsman" Precison Bass with an action like an egg slicer and really naff machine heads which I bought at Macari's in London for £99. I ended up selling it a few months later for £30 to the guitarist in my first band (I think he's still got it - still don't want it back though.....).

I sold my first 'proper' bass - Hohner Jack headless. Don't regret it at all.

I've still got my first actual bass though. I think it was a Strat copy at some point, but someone shoved a new bridge and nut on it and turned it into the world's shortest short-scale bass. It's also been painted with Hammerite.

It's the worst instrument ever created. I will never sell it.

I regret ditching mine. It was just a cheapo Ridgewood Jazz clone.

I actually walk past it every day... one that looks identical (perhaps the same?!) is in the pawn shop around near my flat... £85. Kinda tempted to get it and replace the pups etc!

When I have cash again..

Not my first, no. A Squier P that I got for my 14th birthday. Was good to me and I learnt almost everything I know on it, but the only bass I really regret moving on was my Washburn XB600. It was my first 'proper' bass and I had it for 6 years before I swapped it for a Fender Jazz with Johngh. He put it up for sale a few months later but didnt have any cash at the time to buy it back. I sincerely wish he still has it and is prepared to get rid of it when I have some cash available!

Truckstop

Arbiter Precision copy more plank than wood, regret selling my second, Gibson SB 400 great neck but dived for england, pimped with Seymore Duncan,s and a precision type bridge, bought it in 77 for £200, took all my summer holiday,s greasing machines in a bakery to pay for it!! traded + cash for a 72 fender jazz of which the neck warped??. I have a (sofa bass) it,s a 70,s Kiso suzuki classical guitar with 5 string,s, good for finger practise. B)

Edited by pistonbroke